Team Camaro Tech banner

Converting PG to Muncie: Neutral safety switch and reverse lights

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Everett#2390 
#1 ·
What's the easiest way to do this? I'm probably going to be replacing the dash harness first. Should I purchase a MT harness? If so, are they any pictures of how the NSS and Reverse switch mount? I've done some digging but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks,
Jason

#2 ·
On starter purple wire to purple/white wire, just jumper them together with a 1/4 inch wide male-to-male bullet - see assortment pack at your local parts store.
OE design reverse light switch is mounted on trans and actuated by linkage from reverse lever. I made one from a metal coat hangar. Rev switch does have a two-wire male plug/harness mating to a female connector next to the gas pedal. with a harness on the top drvr side trans bolt to bellhousing.
Inside dash, white wire is connected to ign power and green wire to rev lights.
Or, if you get a Hurst shifter, you might get a Hurst back-up switch.

#3 ·
Thanks Everett. So if I understand this correctly, the OEM reverse switch mounts on the trans and is activated by a rod from the reverse lever on the trans. There is then a plug that connects to the existing harness inside the car. For a car that's originally an automatic, is there an existing hole in the firewall somewhere to run this harness, or does it have to be drilled?

#4 · (Edited)
You're welcome. I do love Ping - cut & paste an image/screen and transfer to Word doc.

Hole should be punched, Greenlee style/brand,rather large, 1/2 inch, at least rather than drilled.
Yes, switch with its harness bolts to a bracket and bracket bolts onto the lower right two cover screws and a rod links the lever to the switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.