Team Camaro Tech banner

Hooking up a speedometer cable

24K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  Tbone1989 
#1 ·
ok my buddy has a 1970 Camaro and the speedometer was not working so we figured out the problem. the cable was bad so my buddy went and bought a new one. when we tried to install the new cable it wouldnt plug into the back of the speedo. the ends on both the old/new cables are the same. the old one will plug right in the new one wont. we need help because we can not figure it out. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

#2 ·
Did you try twisting the inner cable at the other end as you were installing it to the speedo. Sometimes it takes a little twisting of the inner cable to line up and seat all the way in before you can tighten up the cable to the speedo.

#11 ·
ok im still having problems hooking up the speedo on my buddys 77 camaro. the cable that runs from the speedo to the cruise control box is the the cabke im having troube with. it just will not plug into the back of the speedo. ive tried a members idea of twisting the inner cable but that didnt even come anywhere near working not that it was a not a good idea its just didnt work anybody else or skeeter have any ideas on how i can hook up the speedo. if i can i would rather not have to take outthe entire cluster gauge. please guys i am begging for ideas b/c ive tried everything i can think of and nothing is workin. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP i dont care if u think the idea is kinda moronic or if u think ive tried it before cause i may not have though of it.

#18 ·
its a push in snap ring that holds it in place skeeter it looks just like the one for your 69 camaro. hooking up this cable is my only option b/c ive tried looking at other cables that go fro the tranny straight to the speedo and the ends arent the same. so i have to use this cable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.