Team Camaro Tech banner

Difference between 8.2 and 8.5 differential

36K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Northeast Rod Run 
#1 ·
How can I tell which is which,I've done a search and noting that says what to look for.Any help would be great.Thanks guys...

#2 ·
Check out the link below. There's a ton of differential information.
They're pretty easy to tell apart, the 8.5 rear has the square lugs that are visible on the bottom corners of the pumpkin where the 8.2 has none. The 8.2 would be a factory 1st Gen 10 bolt and the 8.5 would have most likely come from a Nova.

http://http://www.novaresource.org/axle.htm

#7 · (Edited)
Here's a pic of an 8.5, 3:73 posi under my 69 Camaro. Direct bolt in. Great diff and alot less than a 12 bolt.

Here's a pic of a 8.2. The diff cover is an easy way to tell the difference too.

#16 ·
Here's a pic of an 8.5, 3:73 posi under my 69 Camaro. Direct bolt in. Great diff and alot less than a 12 bolt.

Here's a pic of a 8.2. The diff cover is an easy way to tell the difference too.

I know this is akin to digging up a dinosaur, but I was looking for a visual way to tell the difference between the two rears and I found this thread. Exactly what I was looking for. Another problem solved with the ol' search function!

#8 ·
Please do not go by diff covers ...Those are interchangable they will bolt on to either housing. The casting is the only true way to tell. Look at the first picture 7 and 5 o'clock bolts. See the 8.5 casting triangles...That is on all 8.5 rear even up till now 2000 etc. May look abit different but will all have extra casting flashing that hangs out like that. Also if you look at the casting collar where both axles are press into the center section will have (4) equally spaced bumps too All of them 1973 1980 GN 1996 Impala and all the 10 bolt 8.5 trucks will have these casting similiars. The Yokes will all have 4 bolts and 2 straps system to hold in the u-joint. If it has u bolt to hold the u -joint in it is NOT a 8.5 for sure. ope this extra info helps. Jim J D RACE.COM

#9 ·
zzzzz are the yokes interchangeable? I just got a rear end and found the driveshaft is now about 1/2" too long. I determined I got an 8.5 rear end by the yoke, and the triangles. What I thought was a good deal turns out to be a great deal. I can always have the driveshaft shortened but I was just curious. Scott

#11 ·
The 8.2 yoke will not fit the 8.5. The 8.2 has a 25 spline pinion and the 8.5 has a 30 spline pinion. If you get a yoke from a '71 to '75 8.5 rear end it will have the 1310 u joint and your drive shaft should work without modifications.

#17 ·
Thanks for your efforts with the 'search' TJ :thumbsup:

There's a ton of older threads with great info like this - just wish it was easier to search for at times ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.