Team Camaro Tech banner

how do I remove my 68 dash pad?

22K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  dschribs 
#1 ·
I need to replace the dash pan under the pad and the dash pad for that matter, how do I remove the dash pad? I removed the screws in the front, now whats holding it on?

#3 ·
The below is quoted from TC member Kyvox in a thread in November...

"There are 4 nuts securing the pad that are accessable from under the dash. Pull the glove box, drop the steering column, pull the guage cluster to get at them. Also two pins at the bottom of each arm that are pressed into spring clips in the dash. These can be a PITA to get out without messing up the pad."

I will add that the nuts under the dash are the thin sheetmetal type, and are also a PITA to get to. You'll be on your head, balled up under the dash, getting your hands all torn up.

If the pad is in good shape, be careful with it (the repro pads are none too good). The arms running down the sides of the dash will break off at the top where they join to the main pad if you are not careful.

#4 ·
ditto Eric's post.

On the press-in fittings at the bottom of each of the pad's "legs" I found it helpful to go from behind the dash and knock them out with a small hammer from behind. I started by just yanking on the pad... and it became clear that if I continued to do so it would get busted.

#5 ·
Ditto
Those threaded tiny bolts are VERY long too. Not sure why as it serves no purpose that I can see. Reaching up under there and unscrewing those tiny nuts will leave you a stockholder in BandAid corp.

#6 ·
if you want me to post some pics of the underside of the dash email me.

you will be able to see the fasteners

Rick

#8 ·
some pics of a 68 dash and pad. Will give you an idea of where to look/feel for them. I had my dash components removed so it was very easy. only 4 nut/bolt combo and 2 push in tabs at the bottom of the pillars. Every other hole in dash used by fasteners. Just a rush job on pics at lunch...if you need better let me know

under "dash/pad"

http://photos.yahoo.com/dukemd66

Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.