Team Camaro Tech banner

Big Block vs Small Block Heater box

9K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  PatDTN 
#1 ·
Okay, since I'm currently wrestling with the heater core on my wife's 68 small block I've been reading threads like crazy related to it.

Why does the small block setup still exist? As far as I can tell there would be no downside if all of the heater boxes were the big block variety. :stirpot:

As it stands since I'm going to have all kinds of stuff apart I might try flipping my small block style heater core around and drilling some new holes in the engine bay side to accommodate them away from the engine. I can fill the old holes easily enough. Heck I can even find some big rubber grommets to seal the holes better than the closed cell foam. (yeah, there may be some tube extending involved).

#2 ·
There are a lot of "if they just made it for" it would have fit both. The only answer that I can think of is that they must have made a small block car first. They still do stuff like that, even today.

#3 ·
While I don't know for sure I pretty much assumed they only put small blocks in them at first. BUT. Once they made a new design for the big block why keep the small block version around? Yeah for repair and replacement but why put anything else in the new cars they built?

There are a lot of "if they just made it for" it would have fit both. The only answer that I can think of is that they must have made a small block car first. They still do stuff like that, even today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.