Team Camaro Tech banner

67 vs 69 brakes

5K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Vintage 68 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me if 69 calipers will replace 67 calipers as long as I change the rotors?

#2 ·
It's not a Rotor thingy.

The Caliper Mounting Brackets (as are the backing plates to clear them) are different for 4-piston vs. Single-piston units. ;)

#7 ·
Spindles and calipers
Uhmmmm - :noway:

What you really need is the proper mounting bracket(s) for the caliper you want to use ;)

You can use your present 4-piston Spindles and just change the Mounting Bracket to the Single-piston type.
GM part number for the "Knuckle" is even listed as the same from 1967~69 - Group 6.020 #3966151 ...

You can also use a standard set of Drum Brake spindles if you want to - just mill/trim the upper mount boss down the required amount to allow the caliper mount bracket to sit flat a VIOLA, you have a 'Disc' spindle :cool:

So - technically - you only need to have the correct set of Caliper Mounting Brackets for the type of caliper you want to use and you can use (or modify) any of the stock spindles to fit that set-up :thumbsup:

#8 ·
Welllll, floating caliper brackets, floating calipers AND floating caliper splash shields.

I just happen to have moved up to JL8 front brakes and have my old floating brackets, calipers and splash shields.

2 Drilled rotor/hubs too.

PM me if you are interested.

#12 ·
Guys, thanks for the info! I took my rotors and plate off after reading your post and saw the bracket your referring to. I thought the bracket was actually part of the spindle and that's what was throwing me off. I actually found the brackets I need in NPD catalog too. Thanks for the help!

#13 ·
Not trying to hijack a thread here but I'm going through similar situation. An want to make sure I understand. I would like to explain my situation. I went to repack my front bearings on my 67 an to replace my flex lines. I noticed my flex lines I ordered take clips at both ends. the ones I removed was bolted to the caliper. So I call the company I ordered my stainless flex lines from an the tech said it sounds like some one put 69 calipers on my 67. By the way my 67 came with factory power disc brakes on front. An told me in order to do that you must change back plate, mounting bracket, spindle, and rotor cost bought 650 to do that. Well I decided to just get 69 brake lines an when I went to get new bearings the 69 bearings where different than what came out (size) crossed the number over from the ones i had an they where 67 camaro bearings. So now I don't know what I have. Any help would be appreciated O an the number on my current calipers are Delco-moraine 5473497

#15 ·
Well that's what I thought. Of course I was at Oreilly getting those an the guy waiting on me was not the sharpest tool in the shed either. So I had him cross the numbers an got tha taken care of. But a. Curious since the tech at right stuff said you have to change everything. An I need to replace my rotors so I don't know if I need to order 67 or 69 rotors.

#20 ·
That certainly looks like the 69 style "D52" single piston brake setup. But some of the aftermarket swap kits use the later metric setup which looks similar. It is definitely not the original 67 4 piston caliper.

Don't worry about which rotor to buy. The same rotor will fit 67-69 whether the 67 style 4 piston setup or the 69 one piston setup. (Not sure where JL-8 comes in, but you don't have that.

#21 ·
Well your right on. I don't have to change the rotors. A tech at right stuff told me I would have to change rotors an all kinds of parts to do that or to change back to the original brakes. But I went to local parts house an found out the part number is same for 67 thru 69. An so are the wheel bearings. So I got everything taken care of thanks everyone for your time

#22 ·
Well your right on. I don't have to change the rotors. A tech at right stuff told me I would have to change rotors an all kinds of parts to do that ...
Always remember that a "tech"s #1 job is to sell you something - usually from them ;)
We don't ask for or make a dime from our 'suggestions' as members when we furnish info :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.