Team Camaro Tech banner

Motion Car Prices in the Dumper? 1969 ZLX 1971 Chevelle-No Buyers Ebay

31K views 115 replies 19 participants last post by  JOE58 
#1 ·
The current owner from NJ keeps listing these cars over and over on Ebay. Hes been lowering the reserve but no biters on the Hook. The 71 Motion Chevelle Ebay just ended not one single bid. Could Joel Rosen's cars not be that desireable any more?

#58 ·
The OEM Muncie shifter is the same for a 67-68 Camaro and a 68 Chevy II (Nova) with console. The OEM Muncie bench seat shifter is different.

My old Hurst catolog shows the same shifter application for a 67-68 Camaro and a 68 Chevy II (Nova) with console. Hurst no 391-4339

the 391-4339 shifter has a built in offset so the chrome stick is not offset

#59 ·
Joe58,Can you post a picture I have of a 4 speed tunnel One is a 4 speed tunnel from a 1968 Camaro Assembly manual,One is 4 speed Non console and Console tunnel with added box attached to it I mentioned in this thread,this is from a 1968 Nova assembly manual. Camaros and Nova basic tunnels and postition of cut out for 4 speed muncie shifter is different.Do you have pictures of factory Muncie shifters in 1968 Nova Console cars? What is the date of your Hurst Castalog you mentioned? Was it printed in May/June/July of 1968 or printed in 1970 instead. I agree Hurst "Finally" made a Hurst shifter to easily bolt onto a muncie trans and work in a 1968 Nova option console.Can I back my "Facts" up ,Hell yes. Anyone wanna post some pictures to put this Dead Horse to rest?

#60 ·
Joe58,By the way did you get the Old ad I sent you this morning from back in the day. Its Fastglas Quaility Fiberglass Huntingdon Valley PA 19008 215-672-2750. Its in a copy of Hi Performance Cars magazine. Its shows the wing spoiler used on Joel Rosens 1969 RS/SS Ralley Green SS427 L72 4 speed Camaro that went to Mexico originally. Was that Wing Spoiler used on any other Motion Camaros,Not that I know of or anyone else.

#61 ·
The only 69 Motion Camaro that I have seen in an original pic with the big spoiler is the green Mexican Camaro.

There was an article on a Motion 69 Z build that was sort of a response to the Car and Driver "Blue Maxi" Z/28 where Motion built a "Green Meanie" Z with the L88 stlye hood and I think that car was said to have had a big spolier on it but it was not on the car in the pictures.

Yes I can post the pics that you email

#62 ·
Joe,Just sent you a real nice picture of the D55 Console Option in my 1968 manual,shows the 4 speed console and factory tunnel for the 1968 Nova and 1968 Camaro. It wll be easy for people to see the differences.Let me know when those are posted and I'll send you more.By the way you can post that Wing Spoiler Ad I sent you if you want. Thanks! Dan

#63 ·
Hey Joe I just resent them to you what happened?? Joe in 1968 The Nova Muncie Factory 4 speed shifters bolt to a support bracket for the non console cars and console cars. The Support Bracket was specific to application and location of hole and height of it being non console or console option. This support bracket bolted to crossmember. Bad part about this is being bolted to the crossmember the linkage rods would bind up on L78's!! Could you imagine muncie shifter set up on a Badass Motion L88 427,LOLOL.....Gotta love the 4 speeds!!

#64 ·
Dan,
I been buying Muncie and Hurst shifters for many years. I used to cut off the Muncie sticks to fit on the Hurst shifters. I still have a bunch of shifters. The Camaro Muncie shifter is the same for 67-68 Camaro and 68 Chevy II with console and the Hurst used the same one also just in 1968. (69 to 72 shows a different set up)

Even the console and bench seat shifter is almost the same except the chrome sticks are a lot different shape. The cross member brackets are the same.

The Nova and Camaro tunnel is different as your pics show but the shifters must still work as the trans mount and cross member set up is about the same.

Attachments

#65 ·
Hurst made many different shifters over the years for all the different car models.

I have seen many Hurst shifters like that at swap meets that had been modifed.

People buy a shifter that is not correct for the application so they take out the "blue wrench" and make it fit.

Hurst was changeing to the bolt on stick around 1967 but not all models changed at the same time. It took years to change from the welded on stick to the bolt on design.

dan's pics

Attachments

#66 ·
Joe,Did you ever see a 1968 Nova SS muncie console and then a non console 4 speed shifter still in in the car untouched ,never taken out? 68 was a weird year being the first year for this body style. You do know in 1968 there was different 4 speed linkage depending on if it was a Big Block L78/L34 versus a L48 350 car. So I asked you in all the experience you have,did you ever see a untouched 1968 Nova SS 4speed car in the Non console version and the console version,and then look at the support bracket that locates the 4 speed muncie shifter in its opening??? Think about that,I'll send you some more pictures...Thanks for posting the pictures! Dan

#67 ·
Joe Are you gonna Post The Important 1968 Motion Options that show Joel Modified 4 speed Hurst Shifters at a additional cost?? I'm not done I have some REAL GOOD stuff for you to post pctures of if you want to continue?? Up to you lets put all the cards on the table for Team Camaro members to see. This is interesting stuff for some..

#68 ·
Camaro used different rods for BB and SB also

I mostly did Camaro but did a few Nova shifters but going by memory here

68 was a odd year for the Chevy II shifter vs the 69-72 Nova for a few reasons

I would look them up in AIM to be sure before I assemble one.

1968 used small slot trans levers, then 69 Muncie went to the long slot trans levers so the trans levers are different

another odd thing about the 68 shifter was the reverse light set up was on the trans and needed to hook up to the trans lever (same as Camaro) this changed in 69

another was the steering wheel lock out changes for 69 required a different rev lever set up

#69 ·
I dont mind posting but a mod may say it's off topic and send us to the TRANSMISSION & DRIVELINE section :)

at least this pic is a real Motion Camaro

I'm not sure what modification Joel was talking about here but it could be the Hurst kit where they have an second lever to lock out reverse

Motion had one in his 68 Camaro race car.

This was required at some tracks back in the day of crappy shifters a driver would go in reverse on the line instead of 1st and cause a lot of excitement to the track crew when he launched in reverse

Attachments

#70 ·
Joe,Did you know on D55 console optioned 4 speed 68 Novas the difference in postion for linkage? Page 291 and 294 of the assembly manual show this. Also let me ask you this,If you had the Original 1968 Nova Muncie 4 speed crossmember is there 2 positions for the support bracket for the muncie shifter or was there a different support bracket for the Console option? Think about it...

#71 ·
the forward trans levers have two rod holes and the AIM tells you to use the upper or lower hole. 67-68 Camaro has the same two holes set up

I have a bunch of the mount brackets and the ones I have seen are all the same. I don't think there was a different mount bracket for 68

Don't forget all the rods and brackets have to fit close to the trans. They made up the difference in the shape of the chrome stick. The sticks are very different

#72 ·
Joe,I know that Motion Option page is hard to read thats why I highlighted the important parts in Yellow. Anyway the first one marked in Yellow is 427 L88.......Thats item # 1.....Second one marked in yellow is Item 8- Hurst Competition Plus 4 speed linkage........$85.00 **---With Console Installation (Console Not Included).......$100.00........So your saying Joel Put Reverse Lock outs on Console Street Cars,Dam that makes no sense...... I only know one car Joel did that to .That was the Early Build Original 6 cylinder 1967 Camaro body that got turned into his first Motion Drag car with the 427 L88. Did you ever read the article on that car and how he lighten it up for a certain A/MP weight class.He gutted that entire car,door panels,carpet,seats,wiring harness,heater box etc....That Modified shifter was really a specal made Motion straight line shift..

#73 ·
Joe on your post 71 I know you've had lots of Camaros and love those cars ,I do too. My first car in 1974 was a 1969 Camaro SS427 M22 Hurst 4 speed 410 12 Bolt,,,,,,but have you ever owned a 4 speed 1968 Nova SS L34/L78 SSL48 Factory 4 speed console or non console car?? You see these cars are just so different in their design,things actually changed thru the year of 1968. There was a early BB Block core support design and later design....There was a early design ash tray then later design...There was a early design Dual exhaust attachment and later design,,,,What I'm getting at 68 SS Novas are different and until you own one and start seeing what sets them apart from others you won't understand them. Hey I got one that few know,you would have to own a 4 Speed 1968 Nova SS with the Factory console,they used foil tape sticker for 4 speed shift pattern!

#75 ·
Not sure why this has turned into a shifter question but a real Baldwin Motion car or any supercar has and will always be a blue chip collector car no matter what happens in our ecomony...... The prices of these cars are in my opinion are extremely hard to ever predict because of the rarity each vehicle possess and just how often one comes up for sale!! A restoration cost is a safer investment on one of these type cars vs a 396 camaro that would most likely be the same $$$$ to get done. The collector car hobby is strong even in this economy and parts haven't dropped any!!!

#76 ·
Ricky,To me because I was Born in Elizabeth NJ back in 57 its the Motion Cars that the Jersey Guys remember.Motion cars were CT,NY,PA,NJ.So a guy that grew up in those areas remember them well and later on would want them to collect. Its also a numbers game. Joel did lots of Camaros and Corvettes,but fewer Chevelles. I believe Charlie Mason's car your workng on is the only 1967 Phase III 427 L88 12 1/2 to 1 aluminum head Chevelle. 1970 Motion Chevelles seem to ba the year he did the most of when it comes to Chevelles. Motion Bicaynes,, I know of one but I'm sure he must of did a few more.Motion Novas,,, very few only 6 thats from 1968 to 1970.If your a Pittsburgh PA guy you grew up around the Yenkos.If your a Chicago guy you grew up around the Nickeys. If your a Rhode Island guy you grew up around the Scuncio's.If your Kansas City guy you grew up knowing the Dick Harrell cars.If your from Los Angeles you grew up knowing the Nickey/Bill Thomas/Dana Chevrolet cars.TRACO also was well known for awesome motors in Los Angeles.Some like the factory ordered COPOS and some like the Converted SS427 Camaros,Chevelles and Novas. For me I love the Motion cars cause I'm from NJ and saw them on the street in the 1970's!! Now values are dependent on lots of things and todays economy definitly plays into it whether you wanna believe it or not.Look at the prices on Copos now their coming down. I believe we rode the wave and the wave is hitting the beach...

#77 ·
The 67 chevelle is not a phase or L88........It was a L78 car that got a L72 engine with 842 aluminum heads plus some of the other day two parts Motion Performance sold. The economy will not stop a die hard major collector from buying rare cars like Baldwin Motions...it will be used as an excuse to buy it cheaper if you must sell it quick! I think most of this talk is a few people who want to diminish value of these BM cars and supercars trying to convince the public they ain't worth anything! No doubt cars were higher few years ago but that doesn't make them any less desirable today.You just don't have people going in debt to buy one like it was.......the play money got tighter for average guys! The parts and restoration cost hasn't dropped off at all in this economy!!One thing for sure, time will tell just how valuable any of these old hot rods are to a buyer!

#79 ·
I have been amazed at prices of the cars sold in Scottsdale the last couple of days.100k copos and Z28s, 200k LS6 chevelles is showing a good market for muscle cars.I find it hard to beleive the market has "Dumped" after seeing these results.Looks like the ship has "hit the beach" Sure not all cars are bringing big bucks but a 1968 350 4 speed camaro 55k is not to shabby...Just my 2 cents worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.