Team Camaro Tech banner

68 Vert stored 21 years

257K views 1K replies 117 participants last post by  NashvilleCat 
#1 ·
No stranger to old cars, drag racing or turning wrenches. Am very active on Team Chevelle. I have been looking for a nice 68 for some time. All the finished cars I've seen are 'not me' in color, finish, options, modifications, ideas of what right looks like....and all are way over priced! 'Project' cars were much abused, apart, money pits, etc. I found this 'TWEENER the other week. Seller listed it as 68 SS Convertible in the ad title yet went on to say 327/automatic.... I sent a pretty blunt note (no number listed or i would have called) and to my surprise, I got a call from the seller a few days later, "Hey smart guy...this is LLLLLLL with the Camaro. Seems you know a lot about these. I called you first..... ......" She got the car in 1980 after HS, her baby. She parked it 21 years ago in her garage.

Needless to say, I got there quick as we could coordinate a date and time. She had already washed most of the "Barn Find" off the car. A deal was made...she wanted a good owner, I guess I qualified. I dragged it home FRI a week ago. Needs at least qtr skins, driver side toe pan and dvr side rear passenger foot metal.

gotta love the paint over bondo

Has the 'born-with' 327/210 "ME" block, though someone swapped on 1964 Power Pack heads. I have not checked the Glide's ID yet. Have found the remains of two mice so far in the front of the car

Interior shot. Has a working Power Top

Diff is 10-bolt with 2.73 (can't find the code but the count the revolutions method used to determine ratio) and posi, posi sticker in the trunk. J Code Rallye Green, 2 for black soft top, with 712 black std interior. Console. Bumperguards on NICE bumpers. Rear mount antenna.

Low quality repaint. POS non-correct 1969-type hockey stick stripe

I traded away the rusty APPLIANCE wheels and tires hard enough to turn a sharp-edged knife for some aftermarket 14" rally wheels and somewhat newer roller tires until something definite is resolved in the wheel and tire department. I am more of a gearhead than a 'numbers' guy. I spent a few hours on it SAT a week ago. Got it running:beers:, will spare you the details unless you really want to know. As it was tail-in the garage, I turned it around SUN to address the brakes, or lack there of. First time under its own power in 21 years. :D Normal 4-wheel drum brakes. Rears were near mint, fronts well done, master cyl shot. I sell auto parts so new MC, 4 wheel cyls, 3 new soft lines, new front drums and shoes. Front stuff is already on this SAT and SUN evenings. After this, complete lube and diff fluid change.

I plan a road test to figure out what's what before deciding what way to go with this. Upon start-up, observed a steady drip from the rear main. Nice crusty residue on the pan shoe this problem existed before the engine was parked. It is not getting any better. Some regular well-used 327 engine sounds lead me to think a basic refreshening is in order. Moderation in my underhood activities will observed. This will be a cruiser. Looking at 'Day 2' looks here. Probable upgrade to 327/4 bbl status. The single exhaust blew a rats nest out as well as lots of metal flakes onto the garage floor. She will get a dual exhaust. We'll see how I like the Glide and 2.73 gears.....she'll be Emily Post polite, everybody else will go first! I want some road time before the rains come in only a few short weeks. Do some major work on the beast this winter.

I like the J Code paint. Wifey is trying to talk me into a white deluxe interior and white top with more chrome and the white later type stripe. I agree, would be a stunner. Probably put some nice tires on my 15x7 Monte Rallys, 215/70s or there about.Maybe other wheels. IF this was a high option car, would dare not change a thing....but as a mostly base vert....thinking tasteful upgrades would add to the looks and value....comments appreciated!

See less See more
#559 · (Edited)
I return to class tomorrow
Five weeks of working on the house, a few things on my Elky, some family stuff

Rather proud of the CRAFTECH topper on my Elky that I finally installed

I re-hung the driver door too
today the race front coils and 90/10 shocks were swapped out for stock coils and my front Konis, front sway bar is back on

Real work on Camaro resumes Monday

#560 ·
Back to school last Thursday. TH and FRI watched safety films, filled out paperwork. After reading Chapter 1 around the classroom....got my Camaro out of the prep booth where it stayed over the brief summer break

Applying seam sealer. New teacher for the other class will bring his 69 Ragtop Camaro into class tomorrow so I can view the seam sealer work on his car and replicate it.

the factory guys used generous amounts of seam sealer

while paused, began a scuff of the DP90 in preparation for further work. Some cowl fixin to finish, then last epoxy, then primer

#567 ·
Hate to say it, but you may have to remove one of the outer cowl boxes too in order to allow the cowl to lift out. Not sure how you'll do that without... This is the dilemma I was facing on my '68 coupe too...which is why I am choosing to patch it from the new cowl unit instead. I guess if you don't mind, you can always remove what you need to remove, and then simply weld it back in place...

#568 · (Edited)
always an adventure Todd! when things get really easy then something is waaaay wrong. figured I may have to remove one or both.
Marking time here by running door hinges etc through the blaster box

#569 ·
blasted stuff WEDs-FRI

one of the rear shakers has a lotta bracket damage to be worked out.

I spent most of the day stripping underside of the born-with flat hood. Not my original plan to use this hood so it did not get sent to light blasting. So paid the price today. Seems factory shot it in black paint without primer. Pics tomorrow

#570 ·
Seems factory shot it in black paint without primer. Pics tomorrow
The hood was dip primed black. Little or no body color got on the underside when the edges were shot.
Don't use vendor hinge bushings. Buy them at your jobber through W&E, they're better.

#574 · (Edited)
Got the small hood bulge smooth. Removed broken bolt for rt rear cocktail shaker...not fun.
Cowl assy has not arrived yet

Really should be ordering those 327 pistons and subframe connectors and race axles for the 67 12-bolt under the El Camino...to free the stockers for the Camaro

#576 ·
got this

to fix this

where there are not already holes, it is super thin and brittle, the brace below shows in several areas. gonna hit this removal and install hard WEDs and Thursday

#577 ·
lots of fun today...
shop pal Tony lending some support

made some bracing WED eve and Thurs morning

the brace does not come on the new cowl, had to be very careful

just a few more spot welds to hit from the driver underside area and this one will come out. Must cut vent holes on the new unit inderside

#580 ·
breaking cowl free

Ta Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

clownin' around after 'surgery'

cleaning up

trial fit

trial fit of EVERYTHING

my rookie arse will be having a blast trying to get that cowl fitting just-right everywhere

#582 ·
Looks great george. The hinge pillar supports at the base of the windshield looks pretty good. Yeah, I had to cut the vent holes out of my cowl as well. I think you can order the cowl with the holes already in them but I didn't realize it at the time. Todd actually had to weld his holes up since he is going to have AC. The cowl brace looks like it is in good condition also.

#584 ·
I had to bend the side flanges on the cowl upward. They were bent shorter than my original. The darn cowl would not drop the last 1/4 inch. Not much to grab with the available c-clamps. Teacher Doug said to drill a hole and put a bolt in to draw it down...
worked pretty good I'd say

still more fitting Tuesday

#585 ·
properly welding lower brace

old vs new, many subtle underside differences

little precision sawing

a rather successful fit of the glass for the trial assembly (base in the right position)

#587 ·
properly welding lower brace

Ummmm, there's nothing "proper" about not wearing gloves when you weld. :rolleyes: He he.... You must have tough-caloused skin huh?:p Looks great George... keep it up!:beers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.