Team Camaro Tech banner

68 Vert stored 21 years

257K views 1K replies 117 participants last post by  NashvilleCat 
#1 ·
No stranger to old cars, drag racing or turning wrenches. Am very active on Team Chevelle. I have been looking for a nice 68 for some time. All the finished cars I've seen are 'not me' in color, finish, options, modifications, ideas of what right looks like....and all are way over priced! 'Project' cars were much abused, apart, money pits, etc. I found this 'TWEENER the other week. Seller listed it as 68 SS Convertible in the ad title yet went on to say 327/automatic.... I sent a pretty blunt note (no number listed or i would have called) and to my surprise, I got a call from the seller a few days later, "Hey smart guy...this is LLLLLLL with the Camaro. Seems you know a lot about these. I called you first..... ......" She got the car in 1980 after HS, her baby. She parked it 21 years ago in her garage.

Needless to say, I got there quick as we could coordinate a date and time. She had already washed most of the "Barn Find" off the car. A deal was made...she wanted a good owner, I guess I qualified. I dragged it home FRI a week ago. Needs at least qtr skins, driver side toe pan and dvr side rear passenger foot metal.

gotta love the paint over bondo

Has the 'born-with' 327/210 "ME" block, though someone swapped on 1964 Power Pack heads. I have not checked the Glide's ID yet. Have found the remains of two mice so far in the front of the car

Interior shot. Has a working Power Top

Diff is 10-bolt with 2.73 (can't find the code but the count the revolutions method used to determine ratio) and posi, posi sticker in the trunk. J Code Rallye Green, 2 for black soft top, with 712 black std interior. Console. Bumperguards on NICE bumpers. Rear mount antenna.

Low quality repaint. POS non-correct 1969-type hockey stick stripe

I traded away the rusty APPLIANCE wheels and tires hard enough to turn a sharp-edged knife for some aftermarket 14" rally wheels and somewhat newer roller tires until something definite is resolved in the wheel and tire department. I am more of a gearhead than a 'numbers' guy. I spent a few hours on it SAT a week ago. Got it running:beers:, will spare you the details unless you really want to know. As it was tail-in the garage, I turned it around SUN to address the brakes, or lack there of. First time under its own power in 21 years. :D Normal 4-wheel drum brakes. Rears were near mint, fronts well done, master cyl shot. I sell auto parts so new MC, 4 wheel cyls, 3 new soft lines, new front drums and shoes. Front stuff is already on this SAT and SUN evenings. After this, complete lube and diff fluid change.

I plan a road test to figure out what's what before deciding what way to go with this. Upon start-up, observed a steady drip from the rear main. Nice crusty residue on the pan shoe this problem existed before the engine was parked. It is not getting any better. Some regular well-used 327 engine sounds lead me to think a basic refreshening is in order. Moderation in my underhood activities will observed. This will be a cruiser. Looking at 'Day 2' looks here. Probable upgrade to 327/4 bbl status. The single exhaust blew a rats nest out as well as lots of metal flakes onto the garage floor. She will get a dual exhaust. We'll see how I like the Glide and 2.73 gears.....she'll be Emily Post polite, everybody else will go first! I want some road time before the rains come in only a few short weeks. Do some major work on the beast this winter.

I like the J Code paint. Wifey is trying to talk me into a white deluxe interior and white top with more chrome and the white later type stripe. I agree, would be a stunner. Probably put some nice tires on my 15x7 Monte Rallys, 215/70s or there about.Maybe other wheels. IF this was a high option car, would dare not change a thing....but as a mostly base vert....thinking tasteful upgrades would add to the looks and value....comments appreciated!

See less See more
#586 ·
George, are you sure that isn't hard top glass?:D
Seriously, you've come a long way. Why don't you come over and change my jets?;)

#588 ·
Lots going on here the last few weeks, family stuff...more on this later.
Anybody in the Augusta, GA area may just get to meet me when I come visit daughter and family there.

Lots going on at class, the Camaro. Only to leave this pic and say the sheel gets primer tomorrow too

#589 ·
Exciting picture there! bet you're stoked!:yes: Getting closer! :beers:

#591 ·
Definitely cool! :cool: :yes: :beers: Congrats! Almost home! Then it's assembly time.... to me that's the most fun--the assembly. Looks sweet George! Keep it up!

#594 ·
lots of progress today blocking. Had a good helper! 2nd round primer possibly as soon as Monday. Pics of fenders, doors, hood, decklid etc not too exciting so will spare you. Imagine the pic above with most of the stuff sanded, dark spots showing. Probably start on the sheel tomorrow after the cowl tin and fender extensions are done. Will get Justin or someone unemployed to work on the spare GM decklid, the one drilled for the spoiler. The underside webbing has damage typical to someone slamming the trunk when something is in the way. Great CSI skills here. Shoot that spare decklid right next to the factory flattie.

Gotta order those 327 +.030 pistons, the subframe connectors, etc. the Tempo is picking up

#596 ·
Great work George! Wanna do mine?

#597 ·
Fred,

Taking on your car, cars like yours is something that I would want to do. But before you start a queue, ya might want to see my car in Paint! :eek:

Blocked more...shell is nearly done, rest of loose tin too. Will set-up FRI for 2nd primer TUES. Monday of course is VETERAN's DAY, we'll be off.

#600 ·
It's getting closer and closer!:beers: Looking smooooooth! :popcorn: (and I am actually eating popcorn right now as I read through the forums!):yes::)

Looks like you're installing a rear quarter antenna, yes? Power or manual? I had my father rebuild an original power antenna from a '69 Firebird for my '69 Camaro. But that should be in my own thread... sorry. :D:eek:

#602 ·
Nice... If you want a "perfect fit" GM factory antenna, Pontiac offered that option for the '69 Firebirds. Or-- a nice aftermarket will work too... or late model even for that matter. Just some ideas for you... I chose the factory one since it will appear period-correct. Can't wait to finally see color in your thread. The day is near--- I can smell it.:yes:

#603 ·
here is a teaser....

Two years ago before I started teardown. Drove to Bonney Lake 45 min, then to Auburn, 15 minutes, then to Graham another 40. Then to So Tacoma 30, then home. Miss driving the darn thing, why I chose to keep it mild/327
Looking at a RICK's 2.25" dual ext w/transverse muffler set. This should keep it quiet

Icky 1969-like hockey stick in black sucked. Correct strip in white will rock, white parade boot too

#605 ·
Post #46 I believe?

#606 · (Edited)
Scott,

Thanks for the reminder and Todd, thanks for pin-pointing the good stuff.

Pulling the shell from jackstands in the primer booth with the body lifter machine, I was unfortunate-enough to position the lifter a tad too forward. This caused minor contact on the passenger side 1" aft of the door jamb. All is for naught....good a time as any to ensure I leave what shows in the blocking as a HOLLOW/low spot. TIMELY REMINDER FER SURE! I was pretty careful back then but this had slipped my mind....makes sense with the paint color shift if they change the angle right away after the door!!!! During the repair I will work this a bit, verify both sides. Thanks much!

This color shift appears on the NEW CAMARO with that huge angle change right after the door

and Scott, I kept my factory braze, hideous as it is, where the qtr meets the end of decklid at the tail panel. Also have my panel batch numbers somewhat covered (the ones that would be under the upper edge of the decklid) during priming so they'll show after the paint is sprayed.
Thanks for all your tips

#607 ·
Just some update info
BLOCKING IS BORING but exciting as paint follows

looking good but still a few spots needing attn

Scott (SAURON) said to check this on the qtrs
not checking 1st pic, showing how I am checking so you can tell what I am doing in the 2nd pic below.

should be hollow, same flatness as the door for an inch or so of the quarter before it swells toward the wheel round. Have 'some' but will work this just a bit better. Thanks SCOTT!

#608 ·
A few days off for Thanksgiving, family, a few house projects.
Back to class Monday, more blocking. Today, more blocking, a visit from the Sherman-Williams Rep up this way. After the lunch break Jeff FORDPOWERJOKE dropped in. Last time he saw the Camaro I drove out to his house....now he saw The Parts Collection.

Working the 'spare' factory spoiler decklid w repop spoiler for 'spoiler days'
It needs a lotta TLC. Underside needs blasting, some corrective work on the under frame, topside is not too wavy. Best way to go seems to be a non-correct but practical power antenna, we'll see.

Here's Jeff on the right (different pic than the one in his thread)

#609 ·
Had #2 in town for 10 days. She and #3 dropped in at the shop to see what Pops has been up to. I also took some time off class for family events during the visit.

Today, "last" rework on the rear edge of the fenders. Somehow missed a bulge on each, far worse on dvr side. Hope to shoot some more primer later this week, blocking and 'fixes' nearly done

ordered Moser axles. these will go into my Elky that sees a lotta track time. the stockers from the Elky's 1967 diff will go into the Camaro's 12-bolt diff I had made. also ordered subframe connectors...all this here in a few days
gotta order pistons and rings for that 327...

#610 ·
finishing the odd and small little things before the (hopefully) last primer and blocking. new teacher JOE has a pumper sprayer, we shot Wax and Grease Remover on the shell sides.."sighting" down the QP from both ends. Looks like Clear over primer. dammit, some minor waves spotted, get to block on now, maybe some Dolphin work....more sanding.... Better to ID faults now. Joe says 'Soon!' and since Joe has had a few Camaros, he's assured me qtrs near the doors look right

#612 ·
Hi Alex....I've been working on the Camaro over a year...paint soon.
The 327 will have a nice Hyd Roller version of the 327/350 cam that I had ground, worked 291 Camel Hump heads...will look Day 2 June 1968 more or less under the hood if you overlook the modern adjustable upper control arms. Backing the 327 will be a 2004R slushbox and a 12 bolt with 3.73s. Off the line she'll seem like a th350 backed by 4.10s and on the freeway, will cruise like it had 2.50 gears (so I kept the cam torquey so no lugging).

PO with the car, 1980s...believe it to have been 'used' a bit then repainted before she got it....

somewhere along the way, some damage, some new paint, and that horrific stripe. seen here Aug 2010 just after I got it. I threw some 14" wheels on it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.