Team Camaro Tech banner

Best Stuff for Stuck Intake Valve?

46K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  pdq67 
#1 ·
What is the best stuff to use, to pour in crankcase, to free up a stuck intake valve?

#2 ·
I got a 52 F@rd flat head runnin after sittin for 16yrs and it had one stuck valve with Marvel Mystery oil. Just poured in carb till it almost choked down. But it wasnt stuck completely, it would stick then release. Good luck.

#3 ·
Marvel Mystery Oil.

Isnt there like, 7 people in the world that know the actual ingredients?

#4 ·
Ron,
Take the valve cover off and spray a bunch or carb cleaner through the valve spring towards the valve. If you can take the rocker off, do that and smack the top of the valve a few times with a plastic hammer too. You can try an oil additive, but I have a hard time beleiving that enough of it will get into the valve stem to do any good.

You did not mention what type of engine, or if it has been sitting for a long time, or why you think a valve is stuck but .... if it is something that just happened, there is a good chance that the stem is galled up too and the only long term fix will be removing the head and properly repairing it.

#6 ·
Ron,

You did not mention what type of engine, or if it has been sitting for a long time, or why you think a valve is stuck but ....

Bill, it's a freshly rebuilt 327 (at least 4 years ago) with probably 10 miles running time and probably a total of 3 hours of idling time, in my driveway, throughout the last 3 years!.....It never sat for a long time.....Sometimes it idles nice but other times it misfires, backfires out the carb, stumbles when quickly accelerated and idles rough!.....Carburetion and Ignition system are all new.....This engine ran excellent when I first fired it up back in 2005!.....And also, the spark plugs keep fouling.....I just don't know what to think of this engine as I've tried everything!

#5 ·
Far Out Man!!:thumbsup:....I was thinking of you dudes and how you praise the Marvel Mystery Oil, while I was at the auto parts store, so I bought a quart of it!.....My question is should I pour the whole quart in the crankcase?....I don't have a complete stuck valve however I believe it sticks every now and then....How long does it take to free up a stuck valve?.....I don't need to add any to the gas tank, do I?.....I don't need to pour any down the carb, do I?.....And lastly, can I save some to pour over my fresh garden salad later tonight?

#12 ·
OK, thanks Bill!....I never thought of that! hehehe......It always has fresh gas in it.....I have a new set of plugs ready to install then I guess I'll drive that thing and not let it sit and idle.....Thanks again for the advice!

#13 ·
What kind of carb do you have on it? Sounds like it could be a carb problem. The Marvel Mystery won't hurt anything so, go for it. I just don't think it's going to fix your issue. I Since the car has been sitting for a long time I would check my power valves, acc. pump, needle seat, etc... (assuming it's a Holley carb), any of those things can/will give you the symptoms you are having.

#15 ·
USE good old MMO!!!!!!!!!!

A half a big bottle on top of a fresh oil change and the rest in the tank at fill-up AND it will do just what you want!! And drive the sucker at least a 100 miles to get her good and warm and heck, broke in again!!

And btw, I figure MMO is made of a mixture of high-grade esters and they are good for your problem!

Probably the best ester combination there is is no more than 100 percent pure Soy Biodiesel!! Add a half a half pint of it to your oil and gain I figure right at 3 percent better eff. out of your engine AND this has been documented by our Military!!

pdq67

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.