Team Camaro Tech banner

Another 69 with a Fake Cowl tag

3K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  bilodeaulynn 
#1 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Z28-MATCH-PRIVATE-COLLECTION-302-DZ_W0QQitemZ160009087830QQihZ006QQcategoryZ6161QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This car has a repro trim tag, and a restamped engine.

124379N648282

ST 12437 NOR 336243 BDY
TR 727 69 B PNT
05C X33D80

Unfortunately for the seller (or future buyer) this car was an X77 Z28 as of the end of October Last Year.

Original tag:
ST 12437 NOR 336243
TR 715 53 53 BDY
05C X77

(Yes, I do have an image of the original tag.)

He has quite a story about where the car came from in the Q & A section. It's only up to 50K with 13 hours to go. Buyer beware.

See less See more
#4 ·
His language is all about original, but not to the car. He never says original numbers macthing. Just original DZ block, etc. In his mind he has laid it all out.

Nice shifter.

#5 ·
That's a HUGE brain-fart, imo. 50k + takes some of the smell away for him, though. Makes me wonder what it would've done if left 'real'. A danm shame.

#7 ·
Ouch - I've got a Cortez Silver Z as well...I like the color.

Wonder why the guy swapped tags? If it was an X77 originally, why change it to only add style trim and a color change? At least they didn't at RS....

#12 ·
Not sure if DZ engines were designated on the heads with DZ chalked, but I know almost every untouched 67-69 engine I have seen has the 2 letter designation on one of the heads.

The 388 block and 041 heads means it was probably a 350/300hp engine. 388 blocks seem to be exclusive to Tonawanda engine plant.

In my opinion the block looks like a correct restamp. Nice tailpipes :rolleyes:

#13 ·
ProdigyCustoms said:
WOW, is that supposed to be Cortez Silver? I did not check the codes, but it does not look right if it is. I like Cortez also.
Yes it doesn't look much silver to me. I even took the images in to Photoshop to see if they were colorconverted in some way. I suspect that they are in some way since the pavement has a redish cast. But the color look weird anyway.

Looks more like "Cortez Copper" :D

Jan

#18 ·
Why would anyone pay 50k for a car like this and not get it authenicated first?

Adults should go into something like this with BUYER BEWARE on the brain.

A friend sent 10k thru the mail for 55 poncho he bought off ebay. He and his wife flew 750 miles away to drive it home. It turned out to be nice car, but he never laid eyes on till he got there and had long before paid for it.

In my book, that was extremely irresponsible. Are people that dumb nowa days?

#19 ·
ldrisner said:

A friend sent 10k thru the mail for 55 poncho he bought off ebay. He and his wife flew 750 miles away to drive it home. It turned out to be nice car, but he never laid eyes on till he got there and had long before paid for it.

No, they just win the car on eBay, then send a deposit, then DON'T pay the balance! Then they ask for their deposit back!!!! :angry:

#21 ·
ldrisner said:

I am one of those irresponsible guys, I guess. I have purchase three cars on ebay sight unseen. In each case I flew in with a cashier's check in hand and drove home. Got there before the deposit was due, so I wouldn't have to worry about that part if the car was misrepresented. Drove all three cars home, and each deal worked out very well.

Each time I had TALKED to the seller on the phone before bidding. If a car had been misrepresented, I would have just gotten back on the plane and come home.

It can work. Of course, none were over $15k. I sure wouldn't drop $50k on a car without having it checked out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.