Team Camaro Tech banner

Starting engine after long term storage.

11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  frankk 
#1 ·
I would like to hear everybody's thoughts on how one would re-start a chevy V8 engine after its been in storage for about 10 years. The engine has been out of the car, has about 10K miles on it, all openings taped up and stored in a climate controlled garage. The last time the engine was run before storage nothing specail was done to it for storage. The oil and coolant was drained at that time. The engine is ready to be fired up again and wonder if anybody has any tips that I have not thought of to help reduce the chances of any problems.
THANK YOU

#3 ·
I had a similar issue with my 69 camaro in storage for 12 years and the motor had not been run. My motor was almost seized. I freed it my putting the car in 4th gear and rocking the car back and forth. I would spray the cylinders with WD40 and let them soak for a few days. Don't be afraid to soak them with WD40. If your motor is tight I would try and free it before starting it. I changed the oil and filled it with 8 or 9 quarts. I let it soak for a few days. I judged mine by looking at the dip stick. I wanted to get the crank was covered in oil.
After 24 hours, I spun the crank at the balancer using a socket and bar (360 degrees). After four or so days I hooked up the battery and spun the engine (with no plugs) for 30 seconds. I then drained the extra oil and started the engine. It ran rough, but eventually smoothed out. The motor was fine after this treatment. I am not sure if you need to perform all of these tasks (but I can say that in my case it worked)...I recently took the motor out and replaced it with a new one but for six months I used this engine with no problems...

You may have some issues with your carb and gas. Replace the gas, and I would soak the carb with a good carb cleaner. More than likely you have some dried up gaskets, stuck floats and etc...

Jeff

#4 ·
Toby,
Do a search as this has been discussed with quite a bit of good suggestions. I would not use WD-40 (Water Displacing formula 40, which is not a lubricant) in the engine. Instead use Marvel Mystery Oil. But you will get more info in the search.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

#5 ·
Well, so far the suggestions are good..using WD40 does not sit well with me..but I was actually going to use oil and use a oil can with a long flex nozzle and give each cylinder a squirt of 5w30. The bearings give me some concern too but I feel by looking in the valve cover the oil is still covering all the parts there and do not think the oil will have displaced on the bearings or the cam or crank. Any feedback on those subjects?

[This message has been edited by Toby T. (edited 04-04-2001).]

#6 ·
Toby,
I would recommend that you remove all of the plugs and squirt Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder, turn the engine 1/4 turn and squirt more in each cylinder. Let it sit for about 6 hours and the turn it another 1/4 turn, squirt in more oil and repeat this for 2 full turns. Then remove the distributor and use a drill to prime the oil system. then reinstall the dist. and fill the carb with fresh gas and turn the key. I have had a good friend do this with a motor that had been in the car and not run for a few years. He did this procedure and now drives the car eveyday without any problems.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

#7 ·
The Marvel Mystery Oil is a good idea, also products such as Move It or Liquid Wrench, something that will be sure to unfreeze any stuck parts. As for the crank and bearings, what you are trying to do here is get an oil film all the way around the journal. The oil will hydraulically lift and separate the two parts as long as you rotate the parts, slowly by hand with a wrench. Once the oil is in there spin it with the starter motor with plugs out and you should be OK to start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.