Team Camaro Tech banner

Starter Help

5K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  BigBen 
#1 ·
Here is my problem guys, the purple wire that goes to the S terminal on the solenoid is supposed to have 12 volts in the start position,right? Im only getting about 8 volts. Im assuming the ignition switch is bad ? Is there a trick to get the bezel off,it unscrews,butt wont come off!!! Any suggestions?? 67 by the way.:(

#4 ·
Ray is correct. With key in ignition, push a paper clip into the little hole, push hard inwards, and continue unscrewing CCW the key and tumbler should unscrew out of socket.
Then the bezel nut will come off and switch will fall back into dash.
Youy can un-swage the back of the ign switch, do this over a pie pan, baking pan because of springs inside and other small parts. You can use emery paper and sand the contacts, reassemble, and re-swage the housing and reinstall the switch.

However, check/clean all connections, battery clamps, battery junction block, horn relay buss bar, and check for broken strands at the factory crimp under the dash. The red wire splits to headlamp switch and ignition switch. also check ground cable/wires for their clean connection.

Remove all the other variables before doing the ign switch.

#6 ·
No neutral safety switch. Forgot about my Chiltons book,got it out, getting good voltage at the 12 volt terminal,but not coming out on the purple wire! Have to check a few other things, but I think its the switch. Good voltage everywhere else,junction block ,horn relay and every other place I checked. need to check horn relay connections,but has good voltage there!!

#7 ·
You might take the time to check the voltage at the points mentioned as they could have resistance and giving up the voltage as heat at said points. No load, you will read battery voltage. Place it under load and measure just to be sure no voltage drop at any connection.

#8 ·
Cant check under load because solenoid is just clicking. Brand new solenoid and starter checked out good too! New battery too,butt think Im going to take it back to be load tested too!

#12 ·
Nice ride!
Use a remote starter switch or screwdriver across the solenoid terminals as this test will tell you if it is the ign sw control path or a faulty battery.
And you may as well place battery on an external charge, slow one would be nice, all day long.

#13 ·
that purple wire wouldnt be tapped into the cloth covered wire that goes to the coil would it? Maybe previous owner redid wires in a wierd way. that cloth covered wire is a resistance wire with lower voltage. just an idea of something to do, follow that purple wire all the way from starter to fuse panel. :)

#15 ·
Don't forget the ground side. Ground the block at for example a bolt hole next to the timing cover.
Does the starter turn well jumping from the battery + side to the Sol S terminal?
Chances are good there are several small resistive connection points between the battery and the S terminal. Trace from the battery along the low current side all the way to the solenoid and clean each possible.

If the solenoid clicks, its probably a low current problem.
If the starter motor turns slowly, its a high current problem.
If the starter freewheels that's another issue.

The point is to narrow the search...

#17 ·
I have tested the solenoid and starter myself out of the car and works everytime! so I wired the jump start button to the solenoid,and on the car it only works about 1 out of 10 times!! You think I need to shim the starter?

#18 ·
it only works about 1 out of 10 times!!
What are the symptoms?

If solenoid is energized and starter drive is not engaged into ring gear to spin the engine over, shim only the outside bolt.
If solenoid engages and starter drive jams into the ring gear, then shim both bolts between the block and starter nose.
If solenoid does not energize with pressing of the new starter button, either the starter cannot handle the current drawn, usually 30 amps, or it is a defective switch - use a marine application.

#20 ·
Yes, but first I ask, are you using the two knurled GM starter bolts? And they are straight? This is must as well as the front brace attached between the starter stud and a bolt to the side of the engine block. This will save the starter nose from breaking later in life and keep the starter motor in alignment. Yes, I've had to shim one starter adding 3/16 thick shim, 3/8 inch flat washers, on the outside bolt between the starter nose and block.

You're best method of troubleshooting is remove the starter, remove the solenoid - you may be able to remove the solenoid with the starter in place - remove the dust cover of the bellhousing, and manually engage the starter drive with your hand, and view the the drive engagement into the ring gear. A small paper clip spread open and insert the wire into the top of the drive pinion tooth and valley of the ring gear teeth, one pinion tooth engaged between two ring gear teeth, for the correct clearance - not tight or loose, a nice 'slide' of the wire into the junction. Set the shim thickness accordingly.

Reinstall solenoid and test. You don't want the drive pinion too close as to stay engaged after the engine starts or starter stays engaged - then remove battery clamp to stop re-evaluate and if engine does start, turn off ignition.

Or you may just be better by getting another starter motor and try it. If the new motor does work, transfer the starter nose to the next starter as the nose locates the drive to the ring gear.

#21 ·
Other than the 8V, what doesn't the starter/solenoid not do, that you don't like? This is a normal problem. Poster says, "it doesn't work."

Does it just click?
Does the starter turn slowly?

Use lots of words and little slang so we all understand...

We aren't there and see nothing.

#22 ·
The solenoid just clicks about 1 out of 10 times, then it catches,and starter turns fine!! When it engages starter turns fine,full speed! Going to pick up a new starter and solenoid tommorow and try that! Thanks for all the help from everyone!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.