Team Camaro Tech banner

67 rs/ss

5K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  RSSSfanatic 
#1 ·
HI all. I bought this car as a roller last July and found this great website shortly after. I’ll copy most of what I stated in the welcome wagon forum but what I am after now is getting an idea of what it’s worth. I am hoping for a little more than “whatever someone will pay for it”. Mostly out of curiosity but I also need to consider insuring it as it sits.
What I can tell you about the car, or what I believe to know about the car is; 1967 RS/SS purchased March ’67 for $3184.15 from a dealership in Lansing Michigan where it spent its entire life. All original butternut paint with what I consider to be no rust. It is a two owner car. The second owner (the first owner’s son) purchased in July ’69. I have attempted to decode the cowl tag and believe the car is an original RS/SS, 350, four speed, bench seat car. The odometer reads 11,334. I have had no contact with the original or second owner to confirm this as actual but all wear items and other clues lead me to believe this to be correct. The engine and transmission is MIA along with most under hood bolt on items as are the complete wiper assembly, all of the heating assembly, radio etc. The car was a drag car but to what extent, I have no idea. As far as being turned into a race car, the PO cut very little. There is a large hole in the hood that was once covered by what looks to have been a stinger style hood scoop, the shifter hole in the tunnel was made larger and there are holes drilled through the floor where a single hoop roll bar was mounted. The only other alterations that I have found would be the ladder bars, fuel pump in the trunk, rear spoiler, tow bar mounts welded to the sub frame and remnants of the car’s name painted down both sides of the car.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
E =interior color black
02E = February, 05 th week (not sure one gets a 5th Week)?
ST = year 67 12637 = Custom interior
Nor = Built Norwood Plant
TR 767-H= Black Custom Bench seat Y-Y=Butternut Yellow
2L = 4 speed manual 3L= Ralley Sport Equipment
4P= SS350

#7 ·
As far as what it might be worth? There where 34,400 ss350 cars built. Automatics cost more but many prefer to have the manual in these cars today.

The bench seat is rare and a novelty but other than that nothing really special about the car.

You have a roller with mild surface rust ,no engine and trans , needs interior unable to see engine bay and its condition. Under carriage needs work. There is still a great deal of money needed to go into this car if restoring?

I would say in its present condition $7000.00-$9000.

#8 ·
A no engine, no tranny, roller ex-race car with gutted interior and chassis modifications.

I'd say $5K tops. It's a bare car (except for the 3L and 4P) that's been stripped (see missing rear arm rests and pulled steering box). Nothing says whoa like 4 wheel drum brakes.

The soul of an SS is the engine/tranny and yours is MIA. Hope your RS equipment works.

#9 ·
Any reason this is not a L30/M20 car?

#16 ·
Because he said "all original Butternut Yellow paint", and it has the SS and 350 emblems on it. Yes, someone could conceivable swap out the emblems, but I think that is unlikely. I guess you could count the coils in the springs and look for other clues. From the sound of it - he posted the purchase price - I would guess that he has some original paperwork stating what it was from the factory.

#12 ·
I also need to consider insuring it as it sits.
Rot free, original panels and paint. The sheetmetal mods are minimal. You stated in your other thread you have the rest of the interior. Original 12 bolt? Insure it for 10K minimum. Forget about what people tell you they would pay for it. You could insure a new POS Dynacorn body for the 12K they cost. How much do you think a shop would charge you to take a rusted carcass, locate all NOS and/or damage free assembly line sheetmetal and build it? That car can be made a driver in no time. I'd only run a buffer over it.

#14 ·
I guess you have your answer on price as it must be worth what you paid for it! What price was that? Mahunt's price estimate is probably more realistic but i am still amazed what some people pay for rolling chassis that have no paint and poorly patched to boot.

Info for L30/M20 Vehicals as asked by member.

http://www.camaros.org/l30m20.shtml#L30

#15 ·
I guess I'm seeing something that others are not. $5000? I'll take two, please! That is a neat find, and it has an interesting combination of options that make it unique. I would try to get in contact with the previous owners to see if they have any additional pictures / history of the car. You never know, someone might just have the grenaded engine / tranny under their workbench in fixable condition, or it might be sitting in someone's street rod. Don't forget to go over to the "orphan's" forum on the Camaro Research Group website to make sure someone doesn't have the engine / tranny listed over there. We have had a few cars reunited with their original motors through that forum. With the unusual options on this car, those guys would probably like to catalog this one anyway.

You would be surprised how well that old acrylic lacquer can be brought back by someone who knows what they are doing with a buffer. Too bad someone hacked that big hole in the hood and added the spoiler, or you could go back with 100% original paint and do this one as a survivor. As it sits, it would make a great "Day Two Survivor" and be a lot of fun to take to cruises and local shows. I would consider finding an original or reproduction "Grump Hump" type hood scoop to bolt on that hood, drop a big cammed small block in it, add some good wheels and tires, and hit the nostalgia drags. :) Also, keep in mind that there are still painters out there who are good at working with the old acrylic lacquer paint. You might be able to locate a good original SS hood and non-spoiler 67 deck lid and have someone get a passable color match to the original paint. There is a guy local to me who has done some amazing things with blending original paint on old Camaros.

Those seats look like someone pulled them out and stored them in a bedroom somewhere - they look to be in perfect condition.

Good luck with it, and great find!

#19 ·
Those look a lot like those aftermarket replacement springs that you could buy from JC Whitney, etc. Might have been added along with the traction bars for the quarter mile sprints. I would check numbers on the rear end housing.

#20 ·
Shame they chopped up the original SS hood, rather than using a flat hood. Looks pretty solid for a MI car, all of those miles weren't from the track. I agree, think about where you want to go long term, then start by just getting it back on the road. I'd just get a drive train in it, rally wheels, a little interior work, clean it up and run it for awhile.

#22 ·
67RSSS – Thanks for the info and input on value. I am always interested in understanding what factors some consider when determining a value for old cars.
Mahunt – Interesting
Clill – That’s what I said too
MUSCLECARMAGMAN – I’ll respond to your PM later
Sauron67MM – “Rot free, original panels and paint.” We think alike. I’d trust you to buy with my cash any day. It is a twelve bolt but I have not checked to see if the numbers match yet. I’m not much of a numbers guy.
RSSSfanatic – I’d take two also. Thanks for the info on the “orphans”. It’s a long shot but worth a try. I do have the POP, a couple of early “pre” race pictures, the original invoice, all of the usual new car glove box stuff from the dealer and may favorite, the title, still in the original six cent envelope from 1969. The seats and the rest of the interior really are like “fresh from the bedroom” condition as are the door panels, dash pad, headliner, weather strip rubber, window felts etc. The interior really is quite complete IMO. Missing the obvious carpet, shifter and steering wheel but also all of the heat/vent controls, ash tray, am radio and rear seat belts.

#24 ·
I think you should insure that car for $7-10k. Sure, its a rolling chassis and would need a lot of work to restore it, but if it as straight and rust free as it looks to be, then it would be difficult to replace. I am not saying you cant find a better one for less money, but it would take a good amount of searching and a certain degree of luck to find one.

#26 ·
Clean up engine bay and paint 150.00 Add a used 350 cu in and transmission $700.00. Add an interior.1000.00 add some rims 300.00, add a hood 250.00 Do a power wash underneath and some touch up 150.00 . Buff that lacquer paint to a gloss and drive it minimum investment 3000.00. Should easily recoup what you put in and originally paid for car and probably more! :)

#27 ·
If you are interested in selling, I am looking for another project car. Please let me know. I olive in Columbus, Ohio but frequent East Lansing/Haslett area quite a bit as my best friend lives there.

Thanks, Erik

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.