Team Camaro Tech banner

Throw Out Bearing

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  zdld17 
#1 ·
Is there any way to check the Throw Out Bearing to be good or not, other than the obvious ? I have my bearing out, as I was having a host of other issues, It seems to be fine, but I really want to find out if in fact this may have been my problem....some have suggested it was.

If I cant visually see anything wrong, would it be wise to cut it open to see ?

Secondly, I seem to notice that the face of it is not flat, but rather has a ridge, and can see through wear marks, that this ridge is riding against the fingers of the clutch - Is this normal or should the face be flat.

Thanks

#4 ·
yep - planned on replacing it, but was trying to find out if this was my issue, as nothing is jumping out at me.

Was curious about the ridge on the bearing, as I stated, and if that was normal.
It does spin with a little resisitance, but feels like there it is full of grease.
Wonder if the wrong combo of clutch to Throw out bearing was in there.

#6 ·
Yep, when you pull a spark plug to have a look it's usually OK to keep using it. A throw-out bearing? Toss it.
Lordy this post brings back memories. They are the reason my Camaro was ordered with a TH400.

#7 ·
This has been a very very long list of posts previously. But in a nutshell, when I pushed the clutch in, everthing seems fine, but once it started to get aggravated by driving, when I came to stop, I would push in the clutch and then noises would happen. Even if I had it in neutral, and pushed the clutch in and out I could feel the stick and noises. Afterwards, I found out that the guy who built this car had the wrong mounts, wrong crossmember cause this is a BB but in a SB car, The right mounts and crossmember pushed the motor forward and to the passeneger side, This was now better cause the fork was hitting the firewallm and it was a Lakewood fork which through threads, would not work as I need the 2632 fork for a generation 1. Bought all the parts and slowly getting things back together. Now I have the tranny out and going through the clutch, pilot etc. so I am trying to do some investigative work to see if i can find out what the problem may have been.
I have a brand new Throw out for my 55 and I just looked at it, and the face is smooth, and this one is ridged. However, this has a racing clutch in it, I assume a centreforce. so if they take a different throwout than a smooth face, that may alleviate the concern that it is the wrong bearing. If it supposed to be smooth, then its wrong

#8 ·
There are only 2 throwout bearings, long and short. Most all chevies take the short.

The best bearing is all steel and has the letters SCA and a part number stamped in it.

The cheap china ones have some plastic and no number and no SCA. Fun part is they all have the same part number, and if you have the parts store guy look em up, they all come up with the same number in the computer.

And yes, the face should be flat.l

#9 ·
Jim, I have 2 Throw out bearings in front of me and one is flat (that is to go in my 55) and the one I just pulled out has the ridge.
I looked up a "Centreforce" Throw out bearing (as I think this may be a Centreforce) and it shows according to the picture that it has a face with a ridge on it.

I am not sure where to go from here, I am hoping to have the Bellhousing off soon (which is a Lakewood) and then I will be able to confirm it is a Centreforce.
This bearing has no numbers on it though, I could take some photos if that would help or you could google Centreforce Throw out - probably will direct you to Jegs
Stay with me here

#14 ·
Look for a Federal Mogul , Timken or BCA 1705 bearing. Look for the colored dust seal. I think your bearing should be 1.250" tall for a Centerforce clutch. Think the centerfore # is a 1416? . Take the bearing out of the box, spin it in your hand , should be smooth and solid, not sloppy. If its not , ask for another one. Parts people don't like me too well when I tell them their new bearing is bad. Yes , watch out for china. Most bearings I find are BCA made in USA. Yes, add a dab of grease in the bearing collar , but most have a recessed pocket for this . The other bearing is almost 1.375 tall. They all should have flat surfaces unless you have a long style p/plate.

#15 ·
I will take notice to the parts numbers Thanks
Do you see anything wrong with mine, with the face being pointed and not flat.
Was this a boo boo by someone, and what sort of troubles would you suspect I may have with this one. Dont get me wrong, I have no plans to reuse it

#16 ·
If you look on Advance Auto, they have 2 bearings available for this car, one is the 1705 and the other is 614018, so I assume both would fit. Both by National, under these part numbers as listed.
Funny, the NEW Throw out that I bought for my 55 and have in my hand is 614018, and it is 1.25" - The one I just pulled from the Camaro of the pictures is 1.5

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.