Team Camaro Tech banner

'67 front suspension recommendations

7K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Tom P 
#1 ·
I need some help on deciding on front suspension upgrades, there is almost too many choices :)

undergoing frame off, I have decided to keep the original front sub-frame and not cut on it. Getting it blasted and powdercoated. Since the car was original drum brakes, I'll upgrade spindles, control arms, springs/shocks, sway bar, body bushings, steering, front disc, etc.

Engine is all aluminum SBC with A/C.

I am considering-
  • Hotchkiss
  • BMR
  • Ride Tech (coil overs not air ride)
  • Chris Alston
  • CPP
  • Global West
100% street driven with little to no track time.
Front wheels either 17x8 or 18x8.
Overall drop between 2-3" and not planning on massaging any sheet metal

Any first hand experience and pictures would be great!

See less See more
#2 ·
I just put the CPP Stage II kit on my 69. Can't provide any real-world handling comments yet, as I'm still a while from that point, but from the magazine reviews I've seen, the kit handles very well, and is much more affordable than the others. The fit and finish was excellent as well.

I went with the 4-wheel disc setup from Matt's Classic Bowties, which was about $300-400 less than going with the Stage III kit from CPP. At first glance they look similar, but the CPP kit doesn't include a power brake booster or new stainless lines.

#4 ·
It's got the adjustable coil-overs, so you can set it pretty much anywhere you want. I don't have anything to compare it to, as my subframe with the stock suspension wasn't on the car when I bought it. I also still have it sitting on jackstands, as the rear is being re-geared at the moment- should have it on the ground this weekend if all goes well. Of course, with no front end sheetmetal on the car, I won't really be able to tell how it's sitting yet anyway.

#5 ·
Hotchkiss 2" drop springs.
L&H Kustom Tall Non Drop Spindles.
JL8 front brakes (still fit a 15x7 space saver spare tire).
Global West lower A-arms.
ANY upper A-arm than doesn't include excessive caster which places the tire rearward and too close to the fenderwell (GW upper arms position the tire too far rearward).
1" sway bar to avoid any interference issues with a 1 1/8" hollow bar (which is more expensive too).
Regular or urethange body bushings.
Bilstein or Koni shocks.

#6 ·
ANY upper A-arm than doesn't include excessive caster which places the tire rearward and too close to the fenderwell (GW upper arms position the tire too far rearward).
thats an interesting point, never really thought about the reduced clearance at the fenderwell. Seems like many aftermarket uppers do have some additional caster built in.

#7 ·
Hotchkis 2" springs, Bilstein shocks, Hotchkis sway bar, Fesler billet body mounts, SpeedTech UCA/LCA with tall upper ball joints, 6 piston Wilwood brakes, 18x8 Foose Legends with 245/45/18 Nitto's.

Great setup. No complaints. Pics in my signature.

#12 ·
Tom,

I usually ask a few questions before I make any suggestions to determine the best possible bang for the buck.

I think many guys spend more than they need or will use. I pride myself in asking as many questions as possible before making a decision on what is best for the customers hard earned money.

First question is what do you have for goals for the car once it is done? Is it going to be a daily driver/weekend cruiser, weekend warrior/drag car, Pro-Touring/handling machine, etc.

Second question is do you need and/or plan to improve the braking & steering systems to compliment any suspension upgrades?

Third question is do you have a specific budget in mind?

Lastly, do you plan to do the work yourself?

#13 ·
Tom,

I usually ask a few questions before I make any suggestions to determine the best possible bang for the buck.

I think many guys spend more than they need or will use. I pride myself in asking as many questions as possible before making a decision on what is best for the customers hard earned money.

First question is what do you have for goals for the car once it is done? Is it going to be a daily driver/weekend cruiser, weekend warrior/drag car, Pro-Touring/handling machine, etc.

Second question is do you need and/or plan to improve the braking & steering systems to compliment any suspension upgrades?

Third question is do you have a specific budget in mind?

Lastly, do you plan to do the work yourself?

The last two questions are legit. The first two were answered in the original post.

#15 ·
I ended up with the UCA and LCA, coil overs, truTurn package (including spindles) and front sway bar all from RideTech ala 48hr Camaro.

As soon as I get the subframe out from Pro Coat PowderCoat, I'll post up some install pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.