Team Camaro Tech banner

Aluminum heads

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ron498 
#1 ·
I am thinking of getting some aluminum heads for my 69 with a 396. if i remember right the motor is out of a 70 or 72 chevelle. it is basically a stok motor with an air gap intake and a holly 750 on it.

I am considering a head and cam package just for the ease of everyting working together.

you guys got any sugestions ???

#3 ·
For a 396 some aftermarket oval port heads would be ideal - will likey outflow OEM rectangular heads while keeping small ports and torque curve down low.

Brodix Racerite or AFR ovals are not cheap but would probably wake your car up with a cam swap. I imagine both companies could make recommendation on a cam as well. Assuming you are on a hydraulic flat tappet now, are you planning to run the same or upgrade to roller?

#5 ·
What casting number heads do you have now? You can use some closed chamber ovals like 215 or 063, or some open chamber ovals like 049 and with some machining they can work very well with your 396. Even the 'peanut port' heads have potential as a member here named Mark Jones has shown (his screen name is VortecPro). I think you could spend about half of what that Summit package costs on some old GM iron ovals and get the same performance result. Try to find Mark here, he is a machinist by trade and has supplied hardware to several folks here and at Team Chevelle.

#7 ·
The casting numbers are 336781. Sorry it took so long have not had time to mess with the car for awhile. Are these heads any good? Form the short search it seems most people like the 781 heads

Also I was correct the motor is form 72. The casting on it is 399290. So it appears it is a 402 from 72

#9 ·
The 781 is great, but it's also 119cc chamber. On a 402, your compression will be around 8:1. Unless the pistons have been changed.
For an alum head, Edelbrock makes a 290c Roval with a 100cc chamber. It is for marine applications. Flows well and will raise your compression.

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.