Team Camaro Tech banner

Frame rail replacement-Help!

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Grant 
#1 ·
I plan to replace the full floors on my 69 convert soon. I feel pretty confident that I can handle the floors myself + save a few bucks along the way.
I've learned a lot from working on these cars and really appreciate this site and all the posted information here. It's been a BIG help. I have two problems that I have to get fixed before I replace the floors. 1) Both rear floor supports(where leaf spring brackets bolt to) need to be replaced. I know they are not in repro at this time.Drivers side is the worst-this side will also need the last 1 ft of frame rail replaced as well. Are there replacement rails available that go all the way to the rear floor support? If so I cannot find them-only the shorter ones. Can these pieces be fabricated or should I try and find from a donor car and have them welded in? Or, would it be wiser to replace the floors first and then tackle the floor supports and frame rail?What do the experts out there think? I want to repair this stuff first before I do anything else on the car. Thanks.

See less See more
#4 ·
....but those CE rails mount inboard of the factory location to move the springs inboard. They don't "flair out" like the stock ones do, and you will have to modify the fuel tank to use them.

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice Wagon
'99 Venture Van
my 68 camaro

#6 ·
Thanks for the reponses you guys. I did look at the CE frame rail and agree with Bret-they dont seem to be for a stock application which is what I need. Choptop, thanks for the tip about Rick's. I'll check it out but i'll probably end up having to get from a donor car which will be a pain is the @!#$. Oh well, I would rather fix this then drive a KIA! Heh Heh....

#8 ·
I suppose. I'll see what I can come up with. Now that I think about it, i'll probably have to have somebody fab the pieces I need. Even if I were to locate a donor car i'm not going to have my air tools available to remove the parts anyway. You would think that with all the other OEM sheetmetal available for these cars that these pieces would be available as well.

#10 ·
Oramac68, thanks for the info..yeah i'll put braces in for the doors and probably support the car with 4 x4 's under the rockers as well as jack stands up front. The car is complete including front clip and rear so it should be enough and not sag. I'll get it level before I put the floor in and only do one side at a time. I'm dreading fixing the drivers side frame rail and floor supports..that's going to be the hard part of this whole thing.

#11 ·
For what it's worth Grant, I repaired the section you have the problem with on one side myself. From the brace/bracket uner the seat to just after the first up bend. I used thicker sheet metal and made it up in three pieces. I put a cross brace inside and welded the whole thing up. It looks as good (actually better) than the original, and is at least as strong. It was just a matter of taking my time. Ensure that you mark the location of the e-brake cable bracket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.