Team Camaro Tech banner

Replacing Ignition Cylinder

24K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Lost in the 60's 
#1 ·
How difficult is it to replace the ignition cylinder? How would I do this?

#4 ·
I suspect that you want to replace your ignition lock cylinder. Up until 1969 they were mounted in the dash. You need a paper clip and your ignition key to remove the cylinder from the instrument cluster (1967-1968).

From 1969 forward they were installed in the head of the steering column. What year vehicle? If you have a column mounted cylinder, do you have a standard (non-adjustable) steering column or a tilt? You will need a few more tools to remove the steering wheel, hub, and locking plate. More complete information is available at www.corvettefaq.com in the A&F-Car Steering Papers section.

JIML82

#6 ·
Okay, no key so you will need a set of locksmith tools to set the tumbler and the anvil to turn the cylinder once they are set.

As Jim said, use a paper clip and push into the hole and at the same time, turn the cylinder to ACC and the lock cylinder will unscrew out if its body.

Reassemble with the new cylinder and key in reverse without the paper clip, or with the paper clip.

#7 ·
Or you can remove the bezel on the dash that holds the cylinder/ignition swith assembly unplug the switch and remove it from the car. Replace them both at once and you won't have to worry about picking a lock. I've tried doing this before and I don't have the patience to mess with it. I think you can get both parts for less than $40.

lock cylinder
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=BOR&MfrPartNumber=CS69L&PartType=521&PTSet=A
switch
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=BOR&MfrPartNumber=CS62&PartType=410&PTSet=A

#8 ·
I appreciate all of the feedback. I will more than likely just buy the ignition switch as well. It sounds as if it will be much easier to do it this way. I am not sure if I have the patience to go through picking the lock as it seems tedious. Thanks again for all of the feedback. I will let you know how it goes.

#11 ·
You may want to try an old key for 68's. Sometimes those switches are worn to the point that another key can work. If so, you can use the key with the paper clip to remove the cyl.
A nail file worked on my old '67

#12 ·
I found this information in one of my files. It came from a very knowledgeable engineer so I am pretty sure it is correct.

REMOVING INSTRUMENT PANEL MOUNTED IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER - WITHOUT A KEY - (REQUIRES A NEW LOCK CYLINDER)

Take a 1/8" bit and drill to the side of the key slot (the side with more space). Drill about one inch deep. This will make the lock mechanism no longer functional. You should now be able to turn the lock cylinder without a key. Turn it back a click, insert a paper clip in the little hole and the lock cylinder will slide right out! AFter cleaning out the metal shavings, insert the new lock cylinder. Task complete.

Good luck,
Jim

#13 ·
I replaced the cyliner only on my car. I did have the key but I am not sure if you actually need to turn the barrel once you have the paper clip inserted. I think that if you can find a gm key that will fit in the ignition but not turn I think it will work.
I did it a couple of years ago on my 68 and I can't remember if I had to turn it or not.
The barrel was very loose and sometimes would not start the car. With the new barrel in the old switch it worked perfectly.

#17 ·
That'll work if all the locks are still original......;)
Sounds like the drill extraction method may work nicely.
Some of mine had been replaced in the past and the glove box lock was gone so I bought a whole new matching set from Rick's.....:thumbsup:
I did have the ignition key, so changing the tumbler was easy.

#18 ·
Hello all, I have tried and tried to get this out, it is just not coming out. The paperclip will go in, and when I stick an old key or a nail file, it will not come out. It will not even turn it. I am at a loss here. I have also tried the drill idea as well. No luck.

#19 ·
Drill the tumbler out. I think you need to turn it to acc and then insert the paperclip to release it. As long as you are replacing the entire switch and tumbler assembly, you only need to butcher it enough to get the nut off........:D

#22 ·
You'll have to be more careful about how deep the drill bit goes. If you can pry the stainless cap off first, you should see where the tumblers are and just use a small bit to drill them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.