Team Camaro Tech banner

Where to start ?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  gameaholic 
#1 ·
Just bought a 68 camaro and need help on what to start with. First off this is what I have. 68 camaro new rebuilt 350 all body work is done and looks good. Suspension is all original. What I want to do. I want suspension 4 wheel disk brakes, engine- bb or sb ? I want the most hp I can get and still remain drive able on pump gas. I guess the suspension will depend on bb or sb . My goal is to try to stay around 20 grand on resto. I have been reading about 9" ford rear end is that the way to go? There is a 572 with a 4.625 bore for sale here local for 3,000 is this streetable? Sorry I know this is all over the place but any help would be awesome. Can't wait to start turning wrenches.

#2 ·
Just bought a 68 camaro and need help on what to start with. First off this is what I have. 68 camaro new rebuilt 350 all body work is done and looks good. Suspension is all original. What I want to do. I want suspension 4 wheel disk brakes, engine- bb or sb ? I want the most hp I can get and still remain drive able on pump gas. I guess the suspension will depend on bb or sb . My goal is to try to stay around 20 grand on resto. I have been reading about 9" ford rear end is that the way to go? There is a 572 with a 4.625 bore for sale here local for 3,000 is this streetable? Sorry I know this is all over the place but any help would be awesome. Can't wait to start turning wrenches.
Re: the most HP you can get will cost a ton of money, add to that a tranny and rear end to hold it and you're way over $20K before you get started. Then suspension, brakes, wheels, tires? And a big HP car is gonna need tubbed to get a descent size tire.

A $3000 572 I'm guessing is not for the complete engine.

Here's an example of a complete 572 "Streetable" just to get idea of what you can do.

http://www.unitedracingengines.com/servlet/the-7/708-HP-Chevy-Big/Detail

I always ask this question 1st. What do you plan to do with the car when its done?

Another philosophy I subscribe to is do a budget and then double it and you'll be pretty close

#3 ·
Guess that post was pretty broad. I want it to be super fun to drive. Just a weekend car but I don't want to be to limited. I dont want a drag car but I do want it to be fun. I drive a modified M3 daily so I don't need a track car. I know I have to rebuild the suspension. I am on the fence with tubbing it. I just want to do it right the first time so I don't have to go back and do it over. I guess I need to figure out how much is enough power and build from there.

#5 ·
x2
Suspension and brakes will make your car more fun to drive.
x2
A "warmed up" 350. Say close to 400hp with the right tranny and gear
combo, tire size etc. will embarrass a lot of high hp cars

For example, my 69 has all the pt suspension and brakes. Well insulated.
a/c, heat, killer stereo, comfy interior and beautiful paint.
400hp 355 with a 700r4 which has almost a 2.9 ratio first gear.12 bolt rear with a 3.55 posi. I smoke a lot of cars out of the hole and still get about 20mpg on the highway with a .75 4th gear.
Totally dependable, very good street manors and great performance.

#7 ·
I would say put MOST of your fixed budget where your greatest pleasure will be satisfied:

1) If it’s horses, buy the horses

2) If it’s handling & breaking, so be it – but, thousands drove these cars for years back in the day with mucho HP & little handling &/or breaking power – straight line fun from one stop light to the next.

3) If you care the most about looks, get a groovy cool paint job & wheels, etc.

As for me, myself & I, the paint has always been the last thing on my list. My car gets compliments galore & people are trying to buy it all the time with my old & worn out paint job. :)

#8 ·
X5 on what others said. $20K is enough to build a fun car to drive.

1. Suspension, Hotchkis TVS kit, new bushings, tie-rods, ball joints, etc.
2. Tires (wheels if you need them, but watch costs)
3. Disc brakes

After that think about motor, trans, and rear end unless they are broke. Nothing wrong with a big block but given your daily driver you will probably be happier with a small block due to the F/R weight balance.

#9 ·
a good to great paint job can eat half that amount. a show paint job I have seen up above $30K.

I just spent $3500.+ on a full Hatchkis suspension kit, shocks, sub frame extenders, upper and lower tubular control arms (not seen in pic below), full body bushings, and more for a great ride. another $850. on tires. couple $K for items here and there for the interior and such. you can burn through that $20K real fast.

like someone stated above, have that 350 bored and stroked to a 383 and a good 4 speed trans if all your going to do is a weekend car and a few shows. 5/6 speed if your hitting highways for road trips. you will be surprised what a SBC can be nice... the money you would spend on switching and moding to a big block can be spent elsewhere.

Me I like a mix of show and go. sure hitting track is fun but I spent a lot of money doing that years ago. but my weekend project turns a lot of heads and I to get a lot of offers to sell it like "327!275hp!Convt!" does above.

mine is no show car and the paint looks good from about 4 to 5 feet away but I take it to the free shows and all the cruise in's around here. a little chrome under and it looks good and runs great.

#10 ·
Also would like to add...
To get the most enjoyment out of your ride.
Pick a couple of things to do to it each winter for upgrades and you
will keep it on the road each season as well as not wipe out 20k
Otherwise it may become one of those neverending projects that
you are constantly working on/pouring money into.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.