Team Camaro Tech banner

Neutral Safety Switch wiring

27K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Omaniac 
#1 ·
I was going to take a picture before hand but I did'nt ...Will it work either way ?..Is this correct? Green wire up front ?

See less See more
#6 ·
So I took the top cover off. I think I have a TH350 auto transmission, but there is no switch anywhere to be seen.

I've got those purple and purple white wires, but they disappear further aft under the center console. I actually thought they were for the light at the aft end of the console. From the same wire bundle I've got wires for the lights in the gear indicator, a ground wire, and a brown and a blue wire that has been cut, and are not connected to anything.

Any suggestions? Is the switch on this tranny located somewhere else?

And what does the neutral safety switch do?

#7 ·
So I took the top cover off. I think I have a TH350 auto transmission, but there is no switch anywhere to be seen.

I've got those purple and purple white wires, but they disappear further aft under the center console. I actually thought they were for the light at the aft end of the console. From the same wire bundle I've got wires for the lights in the gear indicator, a ground wire, and a brown and a blue wire that has been cut, and are not connected to anything.

Any suggestions? Is the switch on this tranny located somewhere else?

And what does the neutral safety switch do?
......the neutral safety switch prevents the car from being started while in any gear other than neutral or park.

#9 ·
I had the TH350 auto and console. A powerglide could also have the console. If the wires are there, then someone removed the switch. It mounts on the passengerside of the horseshow shifter at the base of it. The elec tabs on my switch are visible in this pic.

#10 ·
Something doesn't add up. I don't have a horseshoe shifter, only a stick type shifter.

Now, one way to check if the switch is connected is to put the gear into 3, hold the brake and start the engine. I know what happens if I do this on a manual, but if the switch is not there on a auto, what will happen? Will it start, or do I risk trashing the tranny?

#11 ·
It shouldnt start. The switch should be on your shifter. If you try to start it and the switch isnt hooked up it wont hurt the tranny but make shure your foot is on the brake.

#13 ·
Tried and tested. Put it in reverse, and fired up the engine. It started, so no switch.

So I need to find a switch, figure out where the neutral switch wires lead, find out where my back up lamp wires are, and put everything together. I've got a long winter to do all that.

Don't know what I should have done without this site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.