Team Camaro Tech banner

Best carpet kit

20K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Vega$69 
#1 ·
Can anyone recommend vendor that sells a good quality/fitting carpet kit for my 67 rs. Just spent a whole day pulling seats and old carpet and scraping the floors. Got it all cleaned up and ready for new carpet. Thanks in advance. Randy

#4 ·
I am also interested in this. Can any one say how Al Knoch and Trim parts carpet compare to ACC. Not only as far as the fit, but the look and quality.

#6 · (Edited)
Didn't know Al Knoch supplies carpet ?

I'd recommend ACC over Trim Parts. My interior carpet is ACC and I got trunk carpet from Trim Parts. ACC is heavier....really apparent when holding a light up to it, as you can see right through it. But the Trim Parts for the trunk should be good as I'm more concerned about it breathing rather than wearing.;)

RockAuto has the best deal on ACC carpet.....

#7 ·
x2^^^^

Just replaced my old Trim Parts carpet today with ACC.

ACC is molded better and is much heavier.:yes:

#8 ·
What do people think about the texture of the ACC carpets? I ordered one a while back and I thought the texture was uneven. Like some of the loops where higher others. Like if a rake was dragged over it and it pulled up some of the loops.

I had a JC Whitney carpet in the car for many years before that and it's texture was more even and consistant. My original carpet went out in the trash many years ago so I have no reference.

#9 ·
I had ACC in my 67, it was daily driven and the sun faded the black to black/brown in about 2 years.

I have planned on going trim parts because I need new carpet myself but I really have to wonder how many suppliers are really making carpet vs it being supplied from just few vendors???

I think I might be going with the cut pile this time instead of the loop. My 67 is not a resto or original so the cut pile will work great for me pus look a little newer. How it's formed will matter more and I am thinking ACC now after reading in this post.

Also does anyone know if we can get one piece instead of buying the two piece and having a seam?? I would rather have no seam and just a one piece carpet myself.

#13 ·
I had ACC in my 67, it was daily driven and the sun faded the black to black/brown in about 2 years.
I think that may have more to do with the Tucson sun than the carpet. I have had ACC carpet in my 69 Vette for over 10 years and it looks as good as the day I installed it. A buddy of mine has an Al knoch interior in his vette and I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Neither of our cars are Bloomington gold cars ;)

My dads 65 impala, my 61 Buick and my 68 camaro have had carpet discolor or change color within a year or two of being installed and being daily driven in Tucson. They were all from different manufacturers. The impala carpet was fawn that turned green, the Buick's blue carpet faded to a light blue and the camaro's carpet browned over time. These cars are garaged too. Anyone who hasn't lived in southern AZ has no idea what that sun does to a car.

#14 ·
I lived in San Diego and then Arkansas at the time the carpet went in. Only been in Tucson less than year. Car has been apart and has not had carpet since: being here. Believe me I do know what your saying about what the Tucson sun will do to the carpet or interior in general.

#11 ·
I chose ACC carpet for my '81 z/28 and was so impressed that I bought a second carpet kit in advance for my '69 coupe that I am still restoring. heavy thickness, nice coloring, thick padding, nice edges, and great fit. You will have to slice some slits in it for various things, but that's standard for most auto carpet kits.

Here's my '81 /28 (caramel or camel tan as most call it) carpet. (it'll be a while before I install the '69 carpet :sad: otherwise I would have shown you that) ... I bought this carpet through Year One at the time, but it's available through many vendors today.

No close-ups, but maybe it will help you in making a decision. I drove the car for 4 years as my daily driver and carpet still looked new.

Attachments

#12 ·
2 of my 69 Camaros have ACC carpet for over 20 years and it has held up fine. One has the loop and the other cut pile . . . I like the cut pile better and just looks better. I would say ACC makes the majority of carpet as I have bought it from several vendors over the last 25 years and it has been ACC.

#16 ·
I installed an ACC carpet in mine that had been in the box for about 10 years and I was pleased with the fit of it. I'm no carpet layer but it lined up well and looks great. It also had the hole and grommet for the high beam switch. I have heard some brands don't have this.

#20 ·
Whoof! That cut-pile carpeting ain't cheap--- but man does it feel nice on the bare feet! :yes: :D

#22 ·
You can by loop for $60 less but the way I see it it's less then a tank of gas

I think the way to go is the non mass for $190. I have dynamat on the floor plus the standard poly backing should work OK.

IDK buy I'm thinking the $60 upgrade backing is not worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.