Team Camaro Tech banner

'99 SS T-top - roof repairs

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  tblazer 
#1 ·
:yes:Greetings gents:

I've been away from the Camaro website for some time having recently retired from working.
I have a not-so-serious problem with my roof, (the "crown"), i.g. main portion of the roof between the t-tops and the rear hatch windshield. For some time now I've noticed what looks to be rivets protruding. They almost appear as rust bubbles, but clearly are not rust since visually they are evenly spaced.
My question is how to repair this. I thought that I saw an article in a car magazine which addressed this situation. The owner featured in the article replaced the OEM surfacing of the roof with a stainless steel surface, but I recall in the article that it was a painstaking process, probably not recommended for the novice (which I am).
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas to all!

#3 ·
Everett, ..can you explain further your response? I cannot determine the intent of your response. Again the problem I refer to has to do with the narrow portion of roof aft of the T-tops. After speaking with a friend I believe now that the surfacing is sort of like a skin, which might be able to be replaced. The article I read previously in a magazine explained how the owner replaced his with I believe was a stainless or brushed aluminum skin.

:yes:Thanks for your reply though.

#4 ·
You probably have the same issue many 4th gens have, that being the adhesive used to glue the roof onto the metal supports (roof is fiberglass IIRC) causes bubbles in the roof aft of the T-tops where it's glued down. I've had several 98-02 4th gens and only 1 of them didn't exhibit this. I believe there is a TSB out on this.

Choose your poison from these listings regarding this: http://www.google.com/search?q=4th+...&sugexp=chrome,mod=3&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

#5 ·
I was asking for a picture of the bubbles.
My '00 SS has T-tops, but I rarely take them out, but next time I have them out, I'll look.
From Jim's suggested search, I chose Page 90 of LS1Tech.com:

Below is the summary of the first post of this thread:

***Summary of Issue as of 8/9/2012***

4th gen F-body sail panels are adhered to the body of the car using glue (urethane). The bubbling sail panel paint issue is due to this glue seeping through the panel and causing bubbles along the surface of the panel. The reason for the seepage seems to be due to the lack of paint/epoxy primer on the underside of the panel, a process change which started at GM on very late '98 cars (05/98 and later are at risk) and affected all '99+ models. This allows the glue to directly contact the panel and seep into it over time. Heat/UV exposure seems to bring the glue through the panel once it's begun to seep.

Sanding/painting/bondo'ing/etc. will not fix this condition. Complete panel replacement is the only permanent fix. Once the glue has eaten into the panel, there is no way to correct this from the top side. The problem lies underneath, and nothing you do on top is going to change this. The only other option would be to never drive the car in sunlight.

This panel was discontinued by GM several years ago. At this point, your only options for panel replacement are:

New reproduction panel from site sponsor 6LE (fiberglass or carbon fiber)
Used panel from a donor 4th gen car built prior to 05/98 (and yes, an LT1 era car panel will fit and work just fine)
Have a custom panel made by a body shop that is good with fiberglass fabrication

There is a GM TSB out about this issue, but this is NOT a recall. Here is a link to the post containing the original TSB:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/2783967-post2.html

There was an updated TSB issued in April of 2003, but the only scanned file of this I can find is currently not working (on page 35 of this thread). If someone has a scanned copy of this 4-2-03 revision, feel free to post it in this thread, and I will link it to this summary. Having said that, the repair process is the same between the two TSBs.

Glues that have been approved via the GM TSB for new roof application:

- U400 HV Essex (Dow)
- 3M Urethane 08690

Rarely, some customers were able to get GM or their dealer to cover the cost of replacing the panel, but this is no longer an option as GM doesn't stock the part and won't pay to locate/obtain/install a reproduction or used panel. The last person I've heard about that was able to get GM to cover the repair did so in or around 2008.

A carbon fiber panel would be nice.

#6 ·
Everett, ..this is exactly what I was hoping to learn about my roof problem. I did not take a picture, but even if I did don't know if you will see the protrusions because they're not that pronounced.
I'll read over the link you provided and determine my next course of action.

thanks for the information.

#7 ·
You're welcome.
I looked at the roof on mine. I saw dimples, but no protusions, unless you would like to count the panel bowing up between the dimples.
Before I bought my SS six weeks ago, First Owner always had it in the garage, so, I may be seeing these later in life.

Carbon fiber roof panel would look nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.