Team Camaro Tech banner

Tko 500 600 700 ?

8K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Tokyo Torquer 
#1 ·
Getting ready to buy one of these trannys. I have spoken to Shafi at Keislers and he reccommends the 700. Gonna be about 3800 bucks. What are some of you guys experiences withe tremecs? Thanks, Wayne

#2 ·
What is the rest of you motor rearend combo?

I would do a search before I bought a 700 from Keislers. They seem to have a bad rep for actually delivering. Especially the 700s

Might want to talk to Scott at Hurst too.

#3 · (Edited)
Try this guy also. AMP Performance. I got my complete kit, TKO 500 Trans, offset Mcloud shifter, Hurt shifter arm and ball, elec speedometer adepter, cross member, poly trans mount, new drive shaft assembled w/ front and rear yoke s and u-joints, Gm trans fluid, shifter plate, hat and stickers :) Was $3,000 shipped to my door and there was a $100.00 mail in rebate. Total, $2,900 :D

TKO 600 /TCET5009(2.87 first and .64 OD) is listed below but I got the TKO 500 package ( 3.27 first and .64 OD) and its super.

9 pc kit for first gen http://www.ebay.com/itm/TREMEC-TKO-600-9-PIECE-GM-STARTER-KIT-5009-or-4618-/251130910389

Full Kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-69-CAMARO-Z28-TREMEC-TKO-600-DELUXE-KIT-/370159874804

Call 1-800-454-8387 ex105.and ask for Tom.

Kev

#5 ·
X2 on the Hurst TKO 600 (was only $100 more than 500) and on researching Kiesler in the archives. Know what your potentially getting yourself into.

I got the Hurst kit that included driveshaft, offset shifter and other necessary bits plus their LuK clutch package for somewhere around $3400-$3500. It has worked flawlessly and is by far the best addition to my car.

#10 ·
#11 ·
I have a 383 with 12 bolt 4:10 posi and was running a ST-10 with a 3:42 first gear. It pulled like heck through all gears but 3,200 RPM killed me when I wanted to go on the highway at about 60 mph. I went with the TKO 500 and the 3:27 first (I posted wrong first gear ratio before) and .064 overdrive. My car pulls like it did before and now I can cruise at 70 at about 2,200 RPM. You have 3:55 gears and you will love the 3:27 first if you enjoy the off line !

Kev

#12 · (Edited)
Keep in mind the TKO ratings are at 5000 lb vehicle weight. They can be uprated considerably in a first gen. The fourth to fifth drop on the TKO's is much more noticeable than any one-two drop.

BTW, difference in first gear speed at 3000 RPM and 6000 RPM redline between 500 and 600 with a 3.55 gear and 235/60 tire is only 3 mph and 6 mph respectively.

#15 ·
The fourth to fifth drop on the TKO's is much more noticeable than any one-two drop.
I agree that the 4/5 ratio split is noticeably "wide" but I still think the 1/2 is more noticeable. Probably because I wind out 1st gear to 6k, so I get 6000->3900 RPM change on the shift, whereas I rarely do the 4/5 shift above 80mph or so (4000-> 2600 RPM).

(just for reference, on a TKO500, the same 6000 RPM 1/2 would drop to 3600 RPM or so after the shift)

#13 ·
I'm running a TKO600 from CC5S (now Hurst Driveline) and am happy -- those guys give very good post-sale support and the kit went in smoothly aside from issues I caused myself (I had some mismatched 68/69 shifter and console parts)

I picked the TKO600 over the TKO500 mostly because I like the 1/2 gear split better on the 600 (less RPM drop) but the higher torque rating for small incremental price also helped sway me.

With a 3.55 rear, that 3.27 1st is going result in a pretty aggressive 1st gear that will run out of revs quick (25mph ~= 4000 RPM). It'll be fun, but I'd be surprised if you can hook up with all that gear. By comparison, the TKO600's 2.87 1st would be at ~30mph at 4k in 1st and should still be enough gear for you to smoke em with a 383...

Sooo -- I vote TKO600 from the vendor of your choice.

#14 ·
Car is sig is a 355 roller motor. 3.55 rear and the TKO 500 is perfect. Does not run out of 1st at all and at 1800 rpm freeway speed the car gets 18- 20 mpg.

I use 500s in my SB cars and 600s in BB.

Using a built T56 in my current LS7 build

#17 ·
Wayne I went through the same questions and research for over a year. I called 1/2 dozen vendors, even considered a gear vendors overdrive before purchasing my TKO 600 RR from Scott and Jim at Hurstdriveline. Jim is very patient with those of us the aren't as knowledgeable as others. I must have called him at least 10 times over the last 6 months and he always returned my calls and answered my questions. My complete kit arrived in the less than 5 days with free shipping (trans, drive shaft,cross member) all packaged in heavy duty cartons with extensive install directions. I just pulled my Muncie this last weekend and weather permitting, will install the TKO this weekend. I will post details after the install.

#18 ·
Thanks for all the info guys, I am leaning to the 600 for the extra 100 bucks, might take the 434 out of my 67 SW chevy truck and put it in the Camaro some day, it made 585 hp and 560 ft.lbs. on the dyno. So I will already have a tranny I feel comfortable with. One thing that Jim at Hurst told me was that the tko's are reccommended by Tremec to shift properly at 6200 but he says they will shift at 6700, sounds like an upfront guy to me. I told him I wanted to shift the 383 at 7200 at the track and he said might not shift properly. Wayne

#19 ·
I don't know if you get the Keisler newsletter or not but the SS700 is in production. The test car is a 2013 Boss Leguna Seca with 29" slicks. The drag strip testing was 200 back to back quarter mile passes shifting at 7500 RPM first through fourth. They claim it passed with no missed shifts.

#23 ·
Give them your shift/rev point and ask them about the TKO mods that they will do to have the trans work in your range. They do mods to TKO transmission sold by other vendors and sell them also ! One stop shop so to speak. Its better to mod it before an install for sure.....

Kev

#26 · (Edited)
Be aware that the TKO600 is only stronger than the TKO500 in 5th gear. It is the exact same transmission except for the gear ratios and the higher ratio for the 5th gear in the TKO500 cannot quite handle the torque of the lower ratio 5th gear TKO600 before coming apart. 1st-4th gears in the TKO500 are just as strong as the TKO600 as one is not built stronger than the other. I cant imagine going full power at 600+ ft lbs in 5th gear with a TKO500 anyway. I spent a lot of time talking to the guys at Tremec when these transmissions first came out.. Great guys. They told me that while these trans are strong, they can be broken, and the first thing that usually goes are the splines on the input shaft. The splines will start to bend till they break and is more common with twin disc clutches and lots of power or high rpm clutch dumps with slicks.

There is no problem with rpm drop between gears on the TKO with higher powered engines and it actually works better with the higher power as you dont waste time shifting as much. I have used the TKO500 with engines from 550 to 750+hp and there is no noticable drop with that kind of power. Perhaps the wide gear spread would be noticable with a 300-350hp engine. The only downside to the TKO500, if you can call it that, is with a high powered engine, first gear is way too low.. you could climb a wall with it, while 5th gear is still so high, it can only be used over 55-60mph on the highway without lugging the engine. The narrower spread of the TKO600 may be more practical, especially for autocrossing. There are some important pros/cons of each trans that really don't have anything to do with strength at all, but more with the intended use.. street cruising vs. autocross, etc. Both trans came out at the exact same price as they are made with the same design and materials, only different ratios. The extra $100 that some charge now for the TKO600 is pure marketing and the TKO600 seems to be the higher selling trans because of the marketing.

mike

#27 ·
Be aware that the TKO600 is only stronger than the TKO500 in 5th gear. It is the exact same transmission except for the gear ratios and the higher ratio for the 5th gear in the TKO500 cannot quite handle the torque of the lower ratio 5th gear TKO600 before coming apart. 1st-4th gears in the TKO500 are just as strong as the TKO600 as one is not built stronger than the other. I cant imagine going full power at 600+ ft lbs in 5th gear with a TKO500 anyway. I spent a lot of time talking to the guys at Tremec when these transmissions first came out.. Great guys. They told me that while these trans are strong, they can be broken, and the first thing that usually goes are the splines on the input shaft. The splines will start to bend till they break and is more common with twin disc clutches and lots of power or high rpm clutch dumps with slicks.

There is no problem with rpm drop between gears on the TKO with higher powered engines and it actually works better with the higher power as you dont waste time shifting as much. I have use the TKO500 with engines from 550 to 750+hp and there is no noticable drop with that kind of power. Perhaps the wide gear spread would be noticable with a 300-350hp engine. The only downside to the rpm, if you can call it that, is with a high powered engine, first gear is way too low.. you could climb a wall with it, while 5th gear is still so high, it can only be used over 55-60mph on the highway without lugging the engine. The narrower spread of the TKO600 may be more practical, especially for autocrossing. There are some important pros/cons of each trans that really don't have anything to do with strength at all, but more with the intended use.. street cruising vs. autocross, etc. Both trans came out at the exact same price as they are made with the same design and materials, only different ratios. The extra $100 that some charge now for the TKO600 is pure marketing and the TKO seems to be the higher selling trans because of the marketing.

mike
Mike,
When I was buying my TKO 500...I was told basically just what you stated here. I put out about 450 hp and was told that the TKO 500 will do just fine up to 600 HP and that they have not had a fail with the TKO500 under hard driving. I have beat the sno!! out of mine after break-in and not had a problem. Most seem to go to LIberty to get their TKO beefed up if they plan on full time racing or run a 700+ car.

Kev

#29 ·
Thanks for all the info. My 69 has a 383 with Trick flow heads .Comp solid roller 585 lift with split duration of 232 and 242. With turbo 350 and 4.10 gears it ran 11.70's and felt like it pulled really hard. With the M-20 and noe 3.55 gears it feels a lot slower. I haven't taken it too the track but I can tell it is slower but it cruises better which is what I wanted. I think with a 5-speed i can get back that 11.70 feel and cruise even better than it does now. I am planning to take the 2013 power tour and the last leg from North Carolina back to Oklahoma will ne about 1300 miles. I have'nt been able to talk to anyone at Liberty, been on hold for 30 minutes. Talked to Shafi at Keisler several times. What do you guys think about thr new SS700? Thanks again Wayne

#30 ·
What do you guys think about the new SS700? Thanks again Wayne
The SS700 is great. The big problem is actually getting one.

Looks like a tranny ordered today is projected for delivery hopefully by March or April 2013..

Problem is they are notorious for not meeting promised delivery dates.

#31 ·
Got my TKO 600 from Keisler about 5 years ago. It didn't shift well between 2nd and 3rd above 5900 rpm from the get-go as many others have had issues with over the years.

I wasn't a fan of Keisler when the tranny took a dump and their support fell off the cliff. First they hype these trannies, then they dog them, then when their last attempt failed, they return to hyping them again. Their position, looks to be reliant upon what they're trying to sell the most of at the time. I'm not a fan of the gimics they apply either - noticed that they have recently shifted to marketing a serial # instead of a tranny. Wow - I get to buy a serial # - well that should make me feel better while I'm waiting indefinitely for it to arrive - I don' think so - enough smoke and mirrors already. I think that a company shouldn't be selling a tranny until it is in fact proven and made available to the consumer. However, looking forward, I do hope their new unit turns out to be an excellent alternate option to the TKOs - that would benefit our industry and Keisler's reputation could get back on solid ground and deservedly so. It beneifts us all to have smaller-sized American companies successfully producing products at home.

My TKO 600 was gone through and upgraded by Liberty Gear. Night and day diff. since then - the tranny clicks into every gear at high rpm and with the smoothness and reliability of a swiss clock. I'm really enjoying it since their mods were done - not even a single shift missed.

If considering TKOs, I'd recommend one that's been modified by Liberty. The few extra $100 up front for their custom mods is well worth it in the long run in my opinion.

#32 ·
My TKO 600 was gone through and upgraded by Liberty Gear. Night and day diff. since then - the tranny clicks into every gear at high rpm and with the smoothness and reliability of a swiss clock. I'm really enjoying it since their mods were done - not even a single shift missed.

If considering TKOs, I'd recommend one that's been modified by Liberty. The few extra $100 up front for their custom mods is well worth it in the long run in my opinion.
Did you have it face-plated by liberty?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.