Team Camaro Tech banner

Oil to Carb coming from PCV

9K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  DjD 
#1 ·
I am getting oil thru my pcv hose and into the carb...is this normal? It is not "dripping" out but the tubing is wet. I changed my valve covers to one that had a better baffle but this did not help. A friend said it's no big deal since it is just going down into the intake and burning off. I can't really say if it is affecting performance or not...plugs look ok. I just pulled, disassembled and cleaned carb and did notice some oil in it (just a smidge).

Dave

#2 ·
I had the same issue.5 quarts in 600 miles,lol,with unbaffled valve covers.It seems that around a quart every 500 miles is around the norm for the newer 454 GEN VIs.
See my post for my newest fix.(I'm keeping an eye on it.

#3 ·
Having the right valve and a good baffle will reduce the oil consumption and using a port in the intake will help keep oil from the carb. I went through a lot of trial and error and found swapping the valve and breather made a big difference. Also keep in mind if your engine is modified you will have to guess at the correct PCV valve

#5 ·
???foul plugs??? Are you just accepting excessive oil consumption via the pcv valve? If you can't go between oil changes without adding a quart that is too much oil loss to be normal!

With no baffle my 383 was sucking so much oil you could see it drip out the hose without even shaking it. I put in baffles and cut that way down, but still was sucking oil. Changed to a more performance oriented valve and cut down the loss more. Moved the valve to the pass side valve cover and a breather on the driver side and now I can go 2500 - 3000 miles without adding a quart. I never had plug fouling even at the worst oil consumption...

Get a pcv valve for a factory 375hp BBC and try it for a while in each valve cover and check your results, also give it time because any oil already in the hose will take time to be sucked out...

#6 ·
As Dennis suggested, either trying another brand of breather, one having the PCV in the breather helps, or if using the OE design, PCV in a grommet on the cover, you might make a baffle smaller than the width/clearance between the two rocker arms, and JB Weld it in place, use lacquer thinner or alcohol to clean both surfaces, and let sit overnight to cure, helps alot.

Some oil may come from the vapor sucked in, then the mist form droplets.
However, another problem may be too much crankcase pressure as in too much blow-by from the rings, but hopefully unlikely.

If spark plugs are of the proper heat range, they would burn off the oil about the electrodes and not affect them from becoming fouled.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm not using oil, actually never had to add any since I have been driving it nor are my plugs fouling, was just concerned about oil in carb, and didn't know how to curb it. I will experiment with pcv's as suggested.

Thanks again,

Dave

#10 ·
Robert, DON'T use that port for PCV. It's for static vacuum like brakes and transmission module. The PCV flows vacuum so is MUST be getting vacuum from all cylinders equally, i.e. the plenum.

#12 ·
I have an old Edelbrock Performer manifold and see only one port, a plugged port on the back left runner. It looks to be the same port that Robert is refering to in his pic. The current connection is a port at the base of the carb, see no other way/place for connection.

#13 ·
Yes, Dave, mine was plugged also. I had my booster running to the back of the carb. I put the Edelbrock fitting in on my AirGap manifold for an extra port. And don't believe Edelbrock about it fitting under a Holley style carb!! :angry: It needs a spacer. You can see in my pic that I put a 1/2 inch spacer in so I could fit that fitting in there. If you need part numbers, let me know.

#14 ·
I apologize, I have everything; power brake booster (when I had power brakes), RS headlight doors etc hooked up there but the PCV is indeed on the base of the carb... They make different fittings for up to 3-4 lines to connect to the manifold and I am not sure why I was stuck on the PCV being on it!! :clonk:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.