• No Christmas bonus here

Votes: 79 66.4%
  • Not this year but maybe when the economy improves

Votes: 5 4.2%

Christmas bonuses?

8K views 47 replies 40 participants last post by  Calpantera 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I was thinking about something with Christmas approaching, how many guys still see christmas bonuses?
Just curious how common or uncommon the practice is anymore.

#9 ·
This is a good question Joe. I feel like yes it does, I have worked places that give just little items of appreciation, and there are guys that really seem annoyed by it. I personally think if they slip me a 20$ bill even I would be happier than nothing.

It's good to hear there are guys still getting them for sure, I hope most employers try to do something, a little aoppreciation goes a long way. I have worked for guys (where I was the only employee even) that regardless of the profit they make they gave bonuses, that carries a lot of weight with me, shows a level of appreciation I think.

#5 ·
Not even a party. We generally get bonuses though in the Feb-Mar time period, I'll have to wait and see.
Merry Christmas at any rate to you all.

#11 ·
My company gives annual bonuses. They are calculated by the amount of profit the company makes in the year they are awarded, and can be between 0% and 15% of an employees annual income. In a good year the average employee will recieve upwards of 10K. This year I got about 2.7K, not great, but still a big help around Christmas time.

#13 ·
I plan to give myself a generous bonus again this year :hurray:
If it's okay with the misses :eek:

Seriously, I always received a performance bonus when working full time for over 30 years.
It was usually based on division goals and major project completions.
I not only expected it - it was part of every contract and renewal throughout my professional career :yes:
Being semi-self employed now I haven't received one in several years - but I build it into my contract and billing anyway ;)

As far as 'party' - I don't care if the company sponsors one or not.
I normally get together with major contractors and personnel for a 'long-wet' "lunch" ...
I work with these folks and if I want party any more I'll invite them over to my place during one of our holiday get togethers.

#15 ·
Yes, not huge but enough to put a smile on my face.:)

#16 ·
i got a bonus, plus a safty bonus, my company rewards its employees for not having any osha reportable accidents thru out the year, so the company gave the full time employes a $250 cash bonus. which was nice. but the bonus was really nice.

#27 ·
i got a bonus, plus a safty bonus, my company rewards its employees for not having any osha reportable accidents thru out the year, so the company gave the full time employes a $250 cash bonus. which was nice. but the bonus was really nice.
OSHA has come out against those kinds of injury incentives offered by employers the past several years. Hope your employer doesn't get dinged...

#23 ·
I have a relative that was VP of Finance for a major automotive supplier. I was visiting and sitting having a beer. There was a check on the table for 40k he said it was his quarterly bonus! That was at the heyday of the Detroit auto industry.
We were given stocks in the company at Christmas as a bonus. I was able to sell them before I retired and made some good money towards retirement.

#25 ·
1 week / 40 hrs pay taxed ar 48%. Can't complain. I also get paid out for unused sick and personal. This year I had 104hrs sick and personal taxed at 48%. It's nice right before the holidays...:D

#26 ·
If the company does well, we usually get a year end bonus. I'm happy to have a job so I never count on a bonus and don't expect one. We've been real busy the last couple of years and so we've been fortunate to get a bonus. We had lean times when we got a ham or a turkey and that wasn't even necessary but they like to do something if they can. I just wish I could use my vacation days but we're too busy so I end up losing most of them the last couple of years. I only took 2 half days off this year so I'm a little burned out by now.

#31 ·
They had nice catered party for those that wanted to attend, I chose prime rib for dinner...yumm!!

They used to pass out a turkey card and store gift card that was good for $100.00 and believe it or not people complained......so much that it went to an ethics review and was cancelled. We are lucky to even get the party. We pay $5.00 for the party and it covers gifts. Only soft drinks are allowed but a bar is "near" the area where it was held and you "buy" at your risk and cost.

It's gotten crazy over the years (I have worked here for 30 years) from full blown company Christmas parties to what we just had. The ones in the early days were open bar, buffet and food service and some pretty awesome gifts. I go every year and bring the wife, we have a great time and I thank our managers for having it and us to enjoy it. Our gifts usually have company slant type product but we all get tickets for a drawing for the bigger stuff.

So a long story...long...LOL!!! I think I received a bonus and I really enjoyed it and my wife was able to share it.

#34 ·
Well put Joe, the company I worked for the last 9 years we used to get a bonus check at Christmas depending on profit, and the last 5 years or so they had been making barely enough and sometimes not enough to even call it a profit so there were chrstmas parties and turkys etc. but the bonus's faded away.
I would have liked to get the cash but if I get a 100$ gift card I appreciate that. Like you said lots of people bitched about it (which amazes me), seemed like mostly the inner office staff complained. Granted the company was losing money due to really poor decisions by upper management so that may have helped with the bad feelings.

Last year that company went out of business so I am at a new company this year, they have a really solid ownership group, and I was given my first bonus check I have recieved in the last 5 years or so. Even though it was slow last year they made enough to justify a bonus. With the way work is looking around here and for the company I'm looking forward to next Christmas.
My job is to make them money out on project sites, and it's not like I would work any different based on reward (I really only know one speed), but it sure makes you feel good when you work for a good company that recognizes your hard work.
That was the reason I posted the question, I wondered how un common it had become. It's too bad more people don't see something, but I'm glad to see there are still some "old fashioned" employers out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.