Team Camaro Tech banner

Trunk mounted battery cable size.

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  SOA-Nova 
#1 ·
Can I get by with hooking a couple of long stock battery cables together for both positive and negative cables so that their combined length reach my battery in the trunk?

I'm planning on running from my starter's, big solenoid terminal rearward to the battery's positive terminal and from a bellhousing bolt reaward to the battery's ground terminal and then use needed heavy wire to run with them to wherever the other small wire goes?? (If I remember this right??)

The wife's old Astro Van Positive cable musta been almost 6' long so I figure two of them end to end should reach where I want to go??!!

Or please suggest needed welding cable or bulk battery cable size.

Thanks in advance..

pdq67

#4 ·
Thanks everybody..

Do "Optima" bateries need to be externally vented by running a small hose from the box through the trunk floor or however?

I'm leaving my car's insides stock now back there at the rear seat "wall" area so am worried about any possible Hydrogen gas buildup sorta thing in my trunk since it is enclosed and not open like under the hood..

pdq67

#5 ·
Originally posted by pdq67:
Thanks everybody..

Do "Optima" bateries need to be externally vented by running a small hose from the box through the trunk floor or however?

I'm leaving my car's insides stock now back there at the rear seat "wall" area so am worried about any possible Hydrogen gas buildup sorta thing in my trunk since it is enclosed and not open like under the hood..

pdq67
I also ran 1/0 wire on my car and for customer's and never a problem as long as I did both positive AND negative to the block. I also add a 300A ANL fuse right off of the battery to protect the cable should it ever become shorted or pinched and also solder on the terminal ends.
Optima battery venting in my view, I would do it. Even though they are not meant to gas the do have pop off valves on them and while I have never seen one pop them off I would wonder if corrosive and/or explosive fumes would be expelled in that situation. I would lean to the safe side and add a vent. You never know and it's cost to add it is fairly cheap.
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.