Team Camaro Tech banner

Manual vs Power Top Difference?

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  KevinW 
#1 ·
I have my top out, and interior off, so I'm thinking of converting over to a power top, what are the differences? What do I need to buy to convert?

#4 ·
My search didn't show it but Google found it:beers:. Now I have another question though, does the power top leave more or less room down in the bottom where the springs/rams are? I'm in the process of installing mini tubs, so it's pulled all the way apart, and it's no sweat going either way, and yes, I have power windows I need to install, so the power top would be nice for quick putting it op, plus when I did the car last time, I went with the heavy material top which was a huge mistake, this time around I'm going with the lightest top.

#6 ·
The 'vert I worked on with DSE tubs didn't have any clearance problems with the cylinders - but ... it did need work to get the top to fold down into trunk as original.
It hit the housing and required metal work to give a flatter area to clear and allow top to go down flat.

#7 ·
LPF OR RPF should be stamped on the lower frame mechanism showing power topframe or will have LMF OR RMF for manual top frame..if you try to work a manual frame without the proper frame it will bend the rear top frame ....hope this helps...
i have done this swap and it is not difficult...i had read somewhere a long time ogo the frames were different and a friend insisted they were not and worked the top anyway..bent a pristine manual frame...i was not happy...lol

#9 ·
It does, is there more room down where the cylinders go vs the manual with its springs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.