Team Camaro Tech banner

Round Two! '68 Coupe Ground-Up / RotoSS Resto!

219K views 860 replies 68 participants last post by  stamatisg1977 
#1 · (Edited)
So..... here's a little story I'd love to tell,
about a '68 Camaro you know so well.

It started way back in history,
it was a Mustang killer as we all agree.

I bought it yesterday ...locally,
so no... you're wrong.... it wasn't Terry's.

It would've been sweet to buy his car,
I'd be honored to complete it, but he lives too far...

(Beatbox solo):D

Boom. Ba-pfiff, ba-boom-boomp.

I've been building my '69 since 11/'08,
had to take a year off,
MAN! what a wait!

The withdrawal was killin' almost had the hives,
so I found a '68 as my second wive
and YES, I know! --->it's wife --but it doesn't rhyme!

Now I've got the space and all the drive,
so let get going and get this '68 revived!

(Beatbox solo)

(Sung/rapped to the rhythm and beat of "Paul Revere" by the Beastie Boys...)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so here's the background story. It's a '68 V8 Norwood Coupe, TH350, 10 bolt posi, mono leaf, factory a/c, buckets, console, non-spoiler trunk lid, dressed in Sequoia Green (code VV) with a Custom Deluxe Parchment interior (730). Bought it from one of the most likeable older gentleman I have met, who simply lost interest at the start of the resto due to illness. The interior and inner structure was aboned after blasting, as were the outer body panels after a thorough d/a-ing-- hence the surface rust. The car came from Alabama originally, so minor surgery is required. The main thing is that I will be the first to work on it since new --- and that's cool! Plus! I finally have a nice reference for my '69 right along side it. (not so cool for space reasons, but convenient to say the least.) I'd be more than happy to get some measurements if anyone needs! The car is bone-stock....

The car is easily 80% complete (parts-wise), and completely dismantled as it sits. ... and only missing a handful of things. (I know--I know, they all say that):D It did suffer one small "oopsy" to the driver rear QP but not too severe at all. It's got super-clean frame rails, super-clean rockers (which makes me happy compared to what I dealt with on the '69), except for a small patch needed in the pass outer rocker, and a clean firewall.

Laundry list: (Body-wise)

upper dash panel, upper/inner cowl, one-piece floor, inner fenders, fenders, center trunk patch section, and a yes.... a roof. Luckily it was all included except for the fenders, core support, inner fenders, trunk patch section, and gas tank. From what I can see, the outer wheel houses are nice, but one needs the outer lip replaced as does the driver's QP around the opening.

This will be a (well-needed) theraputic, father/son project that I can't wait to start. My son's more than excited about it too. The '69; however, will be all mine to complete! I don't go out much anymore, or have any other major hobbies like I used to, so this is it guys! Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

See less See more
#476 ·
Todd,
I just spent the last 3 days reading up on this build. I have been hiding in the shadows for a while but have been a looooong time fan of your work!:yes: I became a follower on your 69 build, I have been slowly building my 68 SS that I have had since high school (1986) for the last 5+ years. The skill you have is amazing and it was your 69 build that kept me motivated to work on my 68, life has been in the way of my project for a while now (health issues) but when I saw you had started a 68 build I new Christmas for me was just made! Thank you for sharing you wisdom and taking the time to answer questions, your writting style and personality are fantastic and has got the old juice flowing again. Thank you for taking time to share your gift and inspiring me to get back at it. Hope you had a great Christmas with your family and wishing you a fantastic new year! :beers:

From this 2005

To this so far 2010

#477 ·
Todd,
I just spent the last 3 days reading up on this build. I have been hiding in the shadows for a while but have been a looooong time fan of your work!:yes: I became a follower on your 69 build, I have been slowly building my 68 SS that I have had since high school (1986) for the last 5+ years. The skill you have is amazing and it was your 69 build that kept me motivated to work on my 68, life has been in the way of my project for a while now (health issues) but when I saw you had started a 68 build I new Christmas for me was just made! Thank you for sharing you wisdom and taking the time to answer questions, your writting style and personality are fantastic and has got the old juice flowing again. Thank you for taking time to share your gift and inspiring me to get back at it. Hope you had a great Christmas with your family and wishing you a fantastic new year! :beers:

From this 2005

To this so far 2010
First, I want to say that I wish you the best of health from here on in...letting you get back to building your Camaro asap.:beers: Looks like you made a huge amount of progress getting from point A to now. :yes::thumbsup: It's a really cool and gratifying thing to get a post like this in one of my threads. Thank you for the kind words and kudos on my skills... I've been around classic cars since the age of 5, when I was my father's helper out in his shop and have learned a world of knowledge from him. We still hang out and do the car thing to this very day... and now-- he's even learning from me. Pretty cool thing to experience as I'm getting older.

To share this with others gives me great gratification mentally and spiritually... This site has given me a great amount of inspiration as well and continues to... especially from posts such as yours. Thanks again for the pump up and stay tuned to expect much more from me. I will finish these Camaros yet! :yes::beers:
Happy Holidays, Happy New Year to you and yours as well. Tomorrow is my birthday, but after reading a post like yours on my thread, it's like I already opened my first gift. Thanks man! :beers: Looking forward to seeing your build continue asap!

#479 ·
#480 ·
Happy birthday Todd!
as they say 40 is the new 20 but not sure if i want to go back to 20 i was camaro-less and broke now i just have a camaro lol

#481 ·
Happy birthday Todd!
as they say 40 is the new 20 but not sure if i want to go back to 20 i was camaro-less and broke now i just have a camaro lol
Lol.... Thanks bud! ...and I'm broke because I have two of them! :D :eek:

Check this out.... I went to buy a 1992 Z/28 5.7 liter, hardtop yesterday. It was advertised as having only 43k miles and runs/drives great!

NOT!!!!!!!!! Upon opening the hood I noticed immediately that the engine has seen better days. It was sludgy, dusty, and worn to bits! After starting it, the blue smoke was everywhere, even after it warmed up, and to top it off he neglected to tell me it was just repainted last week. Nice! Another Craigslist "end of the rainbow" chase. :D He played dumb and thought I would bite. I offered him $2,000 since it was a real Z, and with a little work could be a sweet daily driver, but I passed... he wanted $3,500 firm. Looked MUCH nicer in the pics I'll just say... What a waste of two hours driving!!!!!!!!!!

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/3478788561.html

Thanks again for the birthday post!:beers::beers:

#482 ·
ha that sucks. con men will never give up.
i hit the link and it has been flagged for removal. guess the craigslist cops have caught him :)

#483 ·
ha! Good... I bet someone else who looked at it requested it be removed...

#484 ·
Thank you for the warm hearted reply, I hope you have a GREAT birthday celebration! I will be getting back to the car soon I hope, the wife gave me a new seat to test fit for the car for Christmas so I am eager to get out and see how it works out. Take care Todd have a great new year!

Aric

#485 ·
Thanks Aric... Happy New Year! :beers:

#487 ·
Happy Birthday, Todd. Jump in, the water(40s) is fine. Today is wife's birthday also.
Ha... that's cool. Thanks for the wishes and happy b-day to your wife too.:beers: Great time of year to be born. Lots of celebrating all at once; it tends to all blend together. (sometimes good, sometimes not so much) -- as a kid that is... Had a great day today. Lots tasty foods and family fun. Thank you everyone for the kind wishes...:beers:

Now-- back to business. :cool::D Going to tackle the trunk floor installation. So far I only have it roughly trimmed in and screwed down in two places to hold it there. I need to scribe it, trim it back and play the "tickling" game with the ol' roloc discs and hand file until she sits in there tightly and flush all the way around. :yes: More butt-welding... here we come!

#488 ·
I decided to knock off a couple of quicker tasks on the list before diving back into the trunk pan installation so here goes...

On the lower ends of the A-pillars where they "flap out" onto the outer cowl surface, there was some localized rot-through. I started on the driver's side lower pillar "flap" and replaced it with new metal. Beneath it were two 1/4" holes that I also welded closed before installing the new patch. Remembering that I use a punch to prep plug welding holes in sheet metal, I used one of the "punched out" discs of sheet metal to help close the hole there. Works great and saves you time!

Then I moved onto the A-pillar side window channel near the bottom where there was a 1/4" hole to close... but upon closer inspection, I thought it was a better idea to cut out a 6" section of L-shaped channel since it was pitted. I felt the inside and it was still thick there, but I wanted to replace it to make it look cleaner.

Got it done, and even coated the internals of the A-pillar with internal frame coating (Eastwood aerosol) and then coated it in satin black Rustoleum as well. Nice and protected in there now. Just need to blend in the butt welding and move onto the passenger's side tomorrow...

Here's where I left off tonight...

MORE IN NEXT POST>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

#489 ·

#491 ·
Great work. You are the Metal Master! :bow:

We are not worthy. Shawing!!!l:)
Lol.... Thanks Mike. :beers:
In case anyone noticed, yes-- I did eliminate a molding pin where the pillar patch is, but a while back I purchased the molding welding/stud welding tip attachment for my Lencospot Spot welder, so I am all set to install a new one. No screw-in studs for me. :noway:

Planning on tackling the other side later today. I can even re-use the template I created for the LH side and simply "flip" it over for the RH pillar patch. :disco: Will post pics later...

#493 ·
Thank you sir! :beers: One more side to go, then onto the cowl surgery and upper dash panel install.

#495 ·
Happy New Year Todd & Family :disco:
Happy New Year Mike!:beers: Thanks bud! :beers: Not sure if I'll stay up that late this year... been a long day :boring:... gettin' old!;):D

#498 ·
THanks!:beers: Happy New Year to you too! Green light today for some Camaro time! :hurray: Best way to start off a new year! :cool:

#499 ·
Today's tasks completed:
  1. blended in LH A-pillar lower patch
  2. welded closed a 1/2" hole just above firewall-to-cowl seam
  3. fabbed and welded in patches at the lower RH A-pillar base and cowl
Basically the identical repairs were made on the RH side compared as the LH. However, I did have to fab a small patch for the internal surface of the outer cowl-- just below the thick A-pillar "lower flap" patch made on the RH side today. So-- this side took a little longer to do so far. No biggy... See pics!

#500 · (Edited)
I used 1/8" stock for the heavy outer patches and 18 gauge for the inner cowl patch to match the gauges the factory used.

Now I just have to weld a tiny patch for the small hole at the bottom of the RH A-pillar to finish this side of the window opening. Then-- I can start on the upper cowl edge surgery! I have a brand new complete upper cowl panel to cut two long patches from. Basically, it's the top few inches of the cowl "tube" all the way across the lower windshield opening that I will be using for this task. It should be fun! :)

#502 ·
Nice work Todd! Happy New Year! :beers:
Thank you buddy! Same to you...:beers: This new year should be interesting for you and I. You have your "flock of birds" to work with and I have a pair of Camaros to contend with. :cool::beers: There are no better things to deal with in life.:D ;)

#503 ·
Okay then.... Got the small 1/2" x 1" patch welded in and blended on the lower RH A-pillar channel done.

Then I moved onto the upper cowl windshield edge

#504 ·

#505 ·

and some more test-fitting using the ol' '69 original roof panel to measure the window openings, etc...

For the first shot after carving out the new cowl patch, it fits incredibly well. Just need some tickling and trimming with the roloc to let it fall into position and lay flatter and flush everywhere... That's the tedious part but pays off big-time in the end since no seams will be seen. :cool:

Reactions: hook
#508 ·
Hey Justin! :beers: Thanks... The rest of the cowl is finished repair-wise after this. I planned on getting the upper cowl edge and upper dash top panel done, then getting everything I've done so far into epoxy. To do that, I will need to blend in well over 200 plug welds. (only where necessary of course...) I also need to get yet another tank of Argon/co2... ugh! Seems like I am blasting through the gas with a quickness lately. (that doesn't sound pleasant at all...:D ;))...

Anyway... Looking forward to more tomorrow! Just need to tweak the seams on the new upper cowl section I'm installing and prep for welding! Getting some lousy weather here this week huh? Not what I was hoping for during winter break.

#509 ·
Sweet. So practical and no nonsense. It must feel good to be armed with the know how and confidence this time around.:beers:
Ha! Thanks Tim! You're right... I'm definitely 100% more confident in everything I take on with this build. It seems like a cakewalk this time around. Locked and loaded-- ready to roll! :yes::cool:

Ya know... I know it's more work doing what I'm doing to repair this upper cowl, but the rest of it is soooo nice and clean, PLUS-- why remove the trim tag and lose a hidden VIN if I don't have to, right? Seems like a no-brainer to do it this way. It's just a little more welding right? :) How's your drop top coming along? Any news?

#512 ·
:D Rarrrrrrr, rarrrrrrrrr (cat purring sound) :D Thanks Mike! More fun today! :yes:

I'm exhausted just scrolling threw the pictures. Looks better with every post. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the kudos! It's getting there... :beers:

#513 ·
After spending a few hours trimming and tweaking, back and forth, test-fitting, and tweaking, trimming, etc, etc... the new upper cowl patch is closer to a "zero gap" at all seams for buttwelding. Just a little more tickling and tweaking to do and then I can prep all welding seams and go to town! We had friends come over today so I had to stop early.

Here's where I stopped--->>> (it's just sitting in position ... no locking pliers used here.) I did do a quick test-fit with the windshield in place, and it lines up dead on!

#514 ·
Met a fellow Camaro enthusiast locally through CL that wanted to trade some parts today. He's building a '67 and needed the lower section of the upper cowl (with the wiper motor hole, etc...). Hello!!!! I just sat one on the shelf that I used for the '68 cowl repair! How perfect!!! So, he offered some nice '68-'69 suspension and headlight parts for an even swap. Done deal.... He is happy, I am happy-- and we both got what we needed for our cars. I just love trading and not having to spend any money. :hurray:

Got some progress done on the '68 cowl repair too today! Will post pics soon...:cool:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.