Team Camaro Tech banner

GM Differential ID Please

5K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  trophyman 
#1 ·
Hello Guys,
I purchased a 39 Chevy with a GM differential in it that I'm removing. The numbers cast into the rear housing are 3894860N. The numbers stamped into the axle housing are P1 0109G2. Can anybody ID this differential for me.

Thanks
Pat

#2 · (Edited)
#9 ·
On casting dates, often the 3, 8, 9 and sometimes 6 are hard to tell apart. But we will see.

Ed may be correct though, because L268 and L269 don't really fit for a 67 or 68 PI coded 12 bolt.

#11 ·
Pat, what is the chance of getting a picture of the PI 0109G2 stamped area?

I would say it looks like L 26 8 but it is still not easy to say for sure.

Ed, what do you think?

#12 ·
I blew it up and turned it 180 degrees and it's really hard to say. It could be an 8 or a 9, but you're right, a higher resolution picture would be great if possible.

The problem is the PI code for 1969 was a 10 bolt, and the PI code wasn't even used in 1970, so if it really is 1968 or 1969, I would say it's probably a service replacement axle housing. A better picture would go a long way in determining the year, along with the dates of the ring and pinion if you can get those and again, a higher resolution picture of the date.

Ed

#14 ·
Sure--I'll take some pictures tomorrow, Sunday, and post them.

I'm using my Nikon D300 so the pics are very high res. Just need to make them smaller to post.

BTW, dont know if it means anything or not, as I said, the axel is in a 1939 Chevy chassis. The car was born, and spent all it's life, in Nevada. I'm sure that is where the differential was put in.

#16 ·
OK--Just got a chance to take some pictures. Here are the numbers on the rear. I haven't had time to pull the cover off the back to see what the ring or pinion have to say.

Spring perches??? I'll have to measure them when I go back over to the shop tomorow afternoon. I can tell you that whomever put the rear in this car was a butcher! Welding looks like a blind person did it. (No offense intended to the sight challenged pop of the world) There is a multi-leaf spring pack in the car now, or at least until Thursday when I'm swaping it out for an 8.8 Ford housing.

Pat

*****LINK TO MY BUILD PICS******
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/887hu1rz7fpgn30/LXFeYRZrHq

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.