Team Camaro Tech banner

Wanting To Delete My PCV

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  72LS3Z27 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Ive got a new gen VI 454.It loves to suck oil into the pcv.Got it a little better by going back to the stock valve covers,but is still doing a quart every 3-4 hundred miles.
Ive also tried the new designed pcv restrictor gm offers,but that just creates more pressure on the breather side,forcing oil out everywhere,so I went back to a stock pcv for now.
I would like to do away with the pcv,and just run two breathers.What can I expect from this?
Im trying not to go exotic in the otherwise stock looking engine bay.
Thanks,
Chris

#2 ·
Hey guys,
Ive got a new gen VI 454. ...

... I would like to do away with the pcv,and just run two breathers.What can I expect from this?
Im trying not to go exotic in the otherwise stock looking engine bay.
Thanks,
Chris
You can 'expect' oil pretty much everywhere :thumbsup:

There is no reason a properly sized and installed PCV valve will cause oil consumption issues :noway:
There is something else wrong with the mechanical condition of the engine, the function of the system or where the valve is mounted that is causing this issue.

I have built and build lots of BBC's and never have a problem with properly installed PCV systems causing oil (vapor) control issues.

And just for the record - the "Stock" engine bays ALL had PCV systems, so it will look 'stock' when fixed ...

#3 ·
I did a little searching on the internet on different sites and it seems its an inherent problem with the new gen vi 454 crate motors.
Everythings properly set up,gm valve covers that came with it(baffled).Im just trying not to send oil thru the plugs anymore.It seems from what Ive come across,1 quart for every 500 miles is the norm with this motor.
I didnt know that just running two breathers would send oil everywhere, I wonder why?
By exotic,I meant not buying a large expensive oil/air separartor which Moroso tech suggested.
My build has 1100 miles on it so far,and Im not looking forward to filthying up the intake with oil thousands of miles down the road.
Are their any other alternatives then?If just the dual breather thing would spew oil everywhere,which is unacceptable at this point,lol.
BTW,the pcv hooks directly into the baseplate of a holley.Maybe re routing this?

#4 ·
You may want to install a manometer to see exactly what amount of crankcase pressure you are generating, to be sure you have no mechanical issues (I.E. broken rings, etc.). Then you need to be sure that the pcv system has a baffle in front of it on the valve cover, to prevent oil being sucked into the intake system. I think you may find yourself in a not too enviable place with the EPA boys if you vent the crankcase fumes to the atmosphere. Also be sure that it is actually the PCV system that is the issue, as many oil usage issues are valve seals / guides, or intake gaskets. JMO

#5 ·
Im sure the rings have something to do with it.A buddy of mine who is an engine builder said GM uses the low tension metric rings in this motor(IDK).We did a compression test on it and the cylinders were at 210,205,200,and 195 range.
Im not looking to re invent the wheel,lol.I was just looking for a way to stop sending oil thru to the plugs.The valve covers are baffled.
Everything runs fine,like I said,I just didnt want to have a slophouse under the intake after a few thousand miles,since the motor now only has 1100 on it.
Maybe I'll save some dollars,and just do a direct hose to a oil/air separator unit.It seems thats what Im wanting.Like these.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-85474 and two of these
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-68781/overview/
Or this tank.Its a little cheaper.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-85400/media/images

#6 ·
My original L78 burned a quart every 500 miles. All of the honing marks were still there after 75,000 miles when it died. They say it's because of too much nickle. Doesn't that cause the iron to move toward being steel?
Anyway, it sounds like you are using an atmospheric vent on your valve cover instead of running the crankcase inlet to the air cleaner. Either way, a quick and dirty test, ;) of mechanical integrity is to expose the vent side to the atmosphere, then pull the PCV valve and look for escaping fumes. There should be less than a bong hit. Moderators, go easy, we legalized the stuff.:thumbsup:
The base of your carb for the hose is correct.
Also insure that the valve is on the drivers side valve cover. If swapped it won't do its job because of crankshaft rotation.
Most of us would never remove the system. It helps to remove water and other fumes that ages your engine before its time, not to mention the smell and sludge.
Oh, another test is to leave the valve in place and with the engine running put the palm of your hand over the passenger side vent. Without a race-vacuum pump there should still be enough suction to hold your hand and leave a welt. That is really cool, especially at cruise-ins.

#8 ·
Yeah,the pcv is on the drivers side.IDK.
Maybe I'll just run a can of Mopar combustion cleaner thru it once in awhile and hope that cleans it up a bit.
Im def. not looking to damage the motor.I was thinking the dual breather,hoses going to a separator would be the cleaner solution.Then just draining the accumulated oil and dumping it back in.
Its been about 350 miles since I switched back to the factory valve covers and new plugs.Im going to pull a few plugs tommorrow and see whats what.
Here's what the motor looks like now,with the gm cast covers I had powder coated.

These are the valve covers I wanted,but they were sending 1 quart for every hundred miles,lol.Unbaffled.

#9 ·
I was having the same problem with blowby into my intake and partially fouling plugs. I just put a breather into the oil filler hole on the passenger valve cover and hooked the pcv back into base of throttle body. Problem solved and no spitting oil out the breathers. I don't know if my breather tubes are unique gm units but they are baffled as well as the valve cover.
Thus I have a breather in both covers. It wont create the vacuum like original but kept me from having to use a canister setup to separate out blowby oil.:thumbsup:

#10 · (Edited)
Well,I thank everyone for their opinions,thats why I ask.
I think Im going to get the above linked air/oil separator tank from Moroso.
Im waiting back for a reply from the tech on the difference from the universal one he posted,and the ones listed for specific modern vehicles(2010 camaro SS,cadillac cts,to name a few)which are ten bucks cheaper.
The only difference Summit lists is hose length.
Alot more than I wanted to spend,but if it will clear up my problem,so be it.Ill prolly mount it on the pass side as there is more room.Also draining it will be easier.
This one.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-85474
And,the tech said it plumbs into the existing pcv line.Lets it operate normally,just catches all the crap before it goes into the intake.

#11 ·
Well,I thank everyone for their opinions,thats why I ask.
I think Im going to get the above linked air/oil separator tank from Moroso.
Im waiting back for a reply from the tech on the difference from the universal one he posted,and the ones listed for specific modern vehicles(2010 camaro SS,cadillac cts,to name a few)which are ten bucks cheaper.
The only difference Summit lists is hose length.
Alot more than I wanted to spend,but if it will clear up my problem,so be it.Ill prolly mount it on the pass side as there is more room.Also draining it will be easier.
This one.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-85474
And,the tech said it plumbs into the existing pcv line.Lets it operate normally,just catches all the crap before it goes into the intake.
Aaaaaaad,,,,, you can send it back within 90 days.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.