Team Camaro Tech banner

Tire size dilemma... Durango

5K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  HwyStarJoe 
#1 ·
The Durango has 265\60-18's. I need replacements but I don't want to go that wide. The rims measure 8.5".
Can I get away with 245's? I need better snow handling and better fuel mileage... 265's are far too big.

I guess I should say that it's a Limited, which is the only 2006 that came with 18's. The rest were 17's, and were probably a narrower wheel.

#2 ·
I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee that came with 245/65/17's. I swapped them out for a 265/60/17. Just the opposite of what you're doing, but those two sizes have the exact same diameter.

You'll be fine with a 245 as long as you go up to a 65 series, assuming you want your speedo to be correct. The 8.5" wheel will be fine.

#4 ·
30.5" tall

235/65 18 would be 30" tall and the tread with would be 1.6" less than your 265/60 18's which are 30.5" tall... You would see a little speedo difference between the 2 sizes and it might equate to just a slight braking improvement with the shorter tire.

I don't know if you'll see a full mile per gal improvement going with a narrower tire but I'd be interested in hearing your results...

#5 ·
Thanks Dennis.
Yeah, I know I can't really improve the MPG of this monster Hemi. Not without a big tune-up. That's not gonna happen. I'm just trying to get through the Winter without putting it in a ditch.
It's full-time AWD which helps.

My main concern is a tire that fits these wheels without compromising safety. I think it weighs 6000 plus pounds and rides\handles like an 18-wheeler on roller skates in the snow. I don't want to roll over, or have a tire with a sidewall that can't handle the weight either. If I step up the sidewall size, that's what I'm afraid of.

#15 ·
Right Brent... as long as a 245 will work, I'll just keep them 60-18's. I don't care what kind really. Thanks for the schooling on determining height. It didn't occur to me, I was only concerned with whether the wheel width would need to come into play when shopping for replacements.

And I was wrong on the brand... they're Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus. Same as the factory installed. Lousy tire... doesn't last long at all on a vehicle of this weight.

The wife stepped down (WAY down) to the Liberty, and I got the worn out Durango. She traded my truck for the little Jeep. No more Chevy's in the driveway... FOR NOW! Like I said this behemoth gas-guzzler is gone in the Spring. I'd keep it because it's a fully loaded Limited. It took me two weeks to find and figure out all the damn buttons and crap. 6 years she drove it and I never knew the pedals adjusted and it had fog lights! LOL! But it's just too damn heavy and drinks gas. If it was a GM, I'd pull this motor and trans for my Camaro because it's 370 ft\lbs of torque! :eek: It's got two speeds... balls-to-the wall, and stop (at the gas station).

#17 ·
Right Brent... as long as a 245 will work, I'll just keep them 60-18's. I don't care what kind really. Thanks for the schooling on determining height.
Joe, as long as you meant 65-18's then I think you're fine. If you go 245/60/18 it will work, but it's a smaller diameter tire. You're speedo will be off, and you'll have less sidewall. Less sidewall is worse in the snow, worse for potholes, and worse for ride comfort in general, especially on a heavy truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.