Team Camaro Tech banner

eBay X33 Car

10K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  Garfields Maro 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Tach and gauges were not part of the package until later in the year. "X" codes started mid December. Tachs were an option then.

#8 · (Edited)
The VIN on that car would indicate that the car was built before X codes were in use. I don't think that cowl tag matches the info in the VIN. My 69 was built in Nov 68 and has a higher (and later) VIN number than this car. This car would have been built before mine. X codes started in Dec 68. My VIN is 124379N544XXX. You can check VINs and production dates on the CRG site. It would seem that this car was built well before Jan 69 as the cowl tag shows.

#20 ·
I have an 11A, 535 VIN Z.

#25 · (Edited)
For what it's worth, this car has been on Ebay periodically over the past year. Back when it first appeared on Ebay I sent the owner an email questioning the conflict between the VIN and the TT. If memory serves me correctly, I believe I included a link to the CRG site so he could see what I was questioning. I never received a response and he has continued to advertise it the same way. I'm just an enthusiast, not an expert, but this discrepancy stuck out like a turd in a punch bowl.
At this point in time I would have to assume that Mr. Brannon is aware he has a problem but chooses to ignore it.

#13 ·
Trying not to beat a dead horse, but I looked up the VIN that is published on the eBay ad and according the the VIN, this car would have been built in October 1968 rather than January 1969 as the cowl tag says. If we assume that the VIN listed is correct, then somebody may have wanted to get an X code on a pre X code car to "prove" that it is a real Z/28. Without either a matching VIN engine, paperwork or an X code, it's pretty hard, if not impossible to positively prove that it is a Z/28 (as far as I know). If somebody did put a fake cowl tag or a cowl tag from a real Z/28 on the car, they didn't do all their homework since an amateur like me can pick it out. :noway:

#16 ·
You are correct, the 4 speed is listed as an option. I do not however have a console and gauge package and if I am not mistaken I have heard of late built X cars that did not have a tach from the factory although I am not certain of this. Yes my Z is real and therefore I can guarantee that at least the console and gauge package was not standard equipment on late built cars.

#18 ·
I owned an x33 Camaro brand new in 69. It was also a low option car with no tach or gauges. It was also a radio delete car. The fuel gauge was where the tach was supposed to be.
The valve covers are on the wrong sides and it has a cowl hood with a flat hood breather, that is not hooked up properly. Just one of a few things I saw.
I have owned three zs and all of them had a different gauge set up. One had none, one had the center fuel gauge with console and no guage cluster, and the third had the console and gauge package so you could get a few configurations. Two of them were Canadian documented cars.

#22 ·
I have owned three zs and all of them had a different gauge set up. One had none, one had the center fuel gauge with console and no guage cluster, and the third had the console and gauge package so you could get a few configurations. Two of them were Canadian documented cars.
I recall reading in John Delorean's book that there were something like 2800 different possible dash combinations available in the Camaro at one time.

#21 ·
My car is a late September built X33 and does not have the console/guage package. I don't believe the console ever was part of the package. Anybody else with a late build X car without a console? I know mine to be original this way from the factory as I have contacted the previous owners.

#23 ·
The number De Lorean quotes is 2,720; it is on page 144 of the paperback edition.

I have been able to duplicate the number but incorrect assumptions were used to arrive there. For example while there were 4 speedometers used in '69 the 140 was COPO only and should not be included for all applications. Also later Z/28s had a unique tach but a Z/28 could not have a power top switch.

I believe the correct total is 1,940. 5 colors, 388 trim/equipment possibilities.

#24 ·
The number De Lorean quotes is 2,720; it is on page 144 of the paperback edition.

I have been able to duplicate the number but incorrect assumptions were used to arrive there. For example while there were 4 speedometers used in '69 the 140 was COPO only and should not be included for all applications. Also later Z/28s had a unique tach but a Z/28 could not have a power top switch.

I believe the correct total is 1,940. 5 colors, 388 trim/equipment possibilities.
Wow That was quick! I was hoping for an informed response as I have always wondered about this. Thanks:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.