Team Camaro Tech banner

Hello From Philly

5K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  drummerskey 
#1 · (Edited)
Brand new to the forum and a brand new Camaro owner. I just purchased the car below about a month ago. I know it isn't a real Z/28, but it is mine!!

I have some initial questions, what your thoughts are. The car has mono/air shock suspension and I want to upgrade it next. I will likely just go with the multi-leaf and springs for an 8 on the front. Curious to see where to go and what to buy.

Second, I am not the biggest fan of the tires. I was thinking of selling the ones on it to buy something different. I was wondering what the sizes were (smallest to largest) and suggestions for which way to go.

Thanks!!

#4 ·
Thank you! I am really excited and since "the wife" wanted the car too, I don't get complaints about the money I am spending :)

I keep going back and forth about whether to "mod" it or just upgrade suspension, brakes and leave it the way it is outside.......You can't tell from the pictures but the tires are over-sized, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to have a more "low-profile" look or just move the tire size back to stock.

I did some small things that aren't in the pictures (new valve covers, new valve and head gaskets, battery tray) but the suspension is definitely going to be first......just looking for some guidance, I am not a mechanic.

#6 ·
It won't be a daily driver and it isn't a show car obviously since it was an original 6. I just want to drive the car.......I hope that answers the question.

As far as the "8 on the front" comment, the original springs are on the front, for a 6 cyl and I have seen new front springs for small blocks. The mono springs in the back look a bit weak too and the car is pretty bouncy when driven. I have seen upgrade kits for the front and back, I just didn't want to get the wrong one or a cheap one.

The brakes are on the list too and I may will likely do that with the tires depending on what I do. The current brakes are drum but the car stops pretty well with what it has......so that dropped it down on the list of "first things to do"

#7 ·
I figured 8 as the orig, but wan't sure, eh?

As per springs, go to v-8 application, you still might be able to get GM stock, or OEM at least. Multi springs good way to go...with upgraded shocks. Personally, I like KYB, but some think, too stiff. They are good for cornering.

Are you into the "wagon wheel" look , or old school? The 14"/15" tires are getting more limited and expensive to get.

As per the discs? Still would get at the time you choose your style in tires. Lots of discussion in the archives on this topic.

Pray for an early spring!

capt

#11 ·
thanks for compliments!

Glad to see a local too!

I have to do some more research on the suspension; I will probably wait until Spring (no pun intended) to actually make the change. Good cornering is important and I may do power- steering 2nd. I keep going back and forth on the tires. I like the rallies on it now, I just like a sleek look and the really wide rear tires and the height of the rear doesn't do it for me. I also like the lo- pro tires but that's a topic for another day. For now, I just want to zero in on suspension that will improve the ride and handling.Thanks for the help.

#12 ·
Chris,Welcome to Team Camaro ! Kool 69 Camaro you got.I just north of you in Quakertown PA. I'm a Nova owner on a Camaro site.By the way my 1968 Chevy II Nova SS427 4 speed has 15 inch ralleys all around with Corvette 15x8's in back.I love the look of Ralleys but love Crager SS and Ansen Aluminum Slots. Good luck with your car. Dan

#15 ·
Welcome

#17 ·
I took a quick look at some of the pix of your cars and I like the same tire size all the way around........but again, for another day I guess.

Do you guys that live locally go to car shows or cruises or anything? I only found one Camaro club and it was near Allentown, too far to drive.

#19 ·
Greetings and welcome from Pottstown!

Plenty of shows in the area - I subscribe to Cruise News and can fill every weekend with a show.

Wildwood in September is a great trip.

Sonics have some nice evening shows - I prefer the Morgantown Sonic - it has a nice big lot and quite a turnout.

Pottstown High Street has a phenomenal turnout (1st Saturdays of the month).

Various diners and body shops in the area sponsor their own shows - Cruise News will list them all.

#20 ·
I have been thinking about the shows and cruises over the past few days, not really for the car but to have something to do with the car. I don't think I will join a club, I have to many hobbies as is and I don't do much with the others I belong to but yesterday I detailed the car so she is shining!! I was actually going to take some better pictures and take the older ones off but I it was too gloomy and I had to build a ramp for my driveway.

My brother has a 65 Shelby Cobra replica and it was neat to sit with him at a place in Hershey so I may find places like the ones you listed or subscribe.

How do you detail the engine? I wanted to clean it up a little but I didn't know how it was done. I don't need it to be spotless, just cleaner.

#21 ·
The trick with the engine is to clean it real good once, then occasionally just wipe down what needs it.

I actually use the semi-cloth baby wipes to clean most of everything on my car (except exterior paint and glass).

One real good way I have cleaned numerous engines is with Simply Green. I mix it at 50% strength in a spray bottle, spray down the engine bay and let it sit for a few minutes being very careful not to get it on exterior paint, then hose it all down being careful about carbs, air intakes and electronics.

Before a show out come the baby wipes, and a final wipe with a dry microfiber cloth.

I go to the shows to have a good excuse to drive the car!!! :hurray: My car was a 6 cylinder, but I transplanted a 350 in it with Hedman long tube headers and a Flowmaster H-pipe exhaust. Just love to hear it run, and love idling around a car show looking for a place to park.

I also did not join a club for similar reasons - couldn't even find a local camaro club :(

#22 ·
That is good advice on the engine. It actually isn't very dirty, just the orange painted block is chipped and crappy. I would have to wait to on the simple green clean for a nice day though. My garage doesn't have a drain.

I agree with loving the sound of the car, yesterday; I ran her for about 15 minutes just to listen. I don't think I will go too far until the suspension is fixed, she is just too bouncy and I had her on 422 for about an exit and I was white knuckled all the way.

And I am sorry for the multiple questions in the "Wagon" but is there a good way to either A. Clean the glass on the dash (speedo/gas) and/or B. Remove the glass for cleaning?

#23 ·
I've got a 67, and the best way to clean the speedo lens is to remove it.

Mine is soft plastic, and after 40 years plastic polish worked wonders. The car has been in my family since new, so it was in pretty good shape.

I know about the weather!! Just put a new distributor in mine and was really wanting to back it out and set the timing but the drizzle and mist never quit.

As for your suspension, I have stock suspension and added QA1 adjustable shocks that let me dial in exactly ride I was after. A little pricey, but got just what I wanted. I used double adjustable up front. Only catch is the fronts will not fit up thru the A-arm. Had to put them down thru coil. You can grind out the arm for them to fit up thru, just seemed easier to split the ball joint and drop the lower arm.

I love merging onto 422!!!! Hit a ramp at 45 and rolling 90 to merge:eek: The expansion joints are real bad in some spots.

#25 ·
I love merging onto 422!!!! Hit a ramp at 45 and rolling 90 to merge:eek: The expansion joints are real bad in some spots.
Funny you should say that, I took side streets all the way from the airport until I got to 422/23 and had to go to Trooper which I am guessing is less than a half mile. I have a BMW 335i that is 300 horse and she is quick so I was surprised to look down and see 80 mph when I started to brake for the exit and she wasn't done winding out by a long shot. I wasn't really trying.

I guess I am going to have to do some serious research in the next few months. I have been lightly looking at suspension kits. I don't have $4K to drop on it and really don't think that I need it. I just don't want to crap my under-roos ever time I get on the freeway.

#24 ·
As for removing... not sure how different a 69 is from a 67 :confused:

Lower the column (removed plastic trim pieces and loosen/remove column mounting nuts).

Unscrew speed/fuel gauge carrier (mine has 4 screws, 2 up top and 2 underneath)

Remove carrier (might be calling that the wrong word by the way...), disconnect speedo cable and electrical connector.

Remove speedo/fuel/tach mounting screws and separate the carrier. Now the clear lens will be free. I cleaned mine with water and a cloth then used a little plastic polish on it. Looks brand new.

#27 ·
The rear is pretty bouncy, even on side streets but it has a bit of float to it as well. It didn't feel like the tires were bouncing, but it did feel like there was a slight sway.

The car has manual steering along with some slop too so since it was really my first run on the highway, I just didn't know what the car would do and I still really don't.

So when I hit the joint on the bridge between the two, it bounced, it floated and I was a little nervous. When I drove the back roads to 23, I was on some curvy roads as well and I baby-ed it through the corners just to be safe.......this is what I am hoping the suspension upgrade will fix.

I have a beat on a power steering set up that a body shop is ripping out of a 69 Firebird to make it a race car so I planned on buying that when it came up.

#28 ·
One more thing and hey whatever, I can take the embarrassment........

I have some mechanical inclination and I have done some minimal work to cars and I mean minimal (like I have never changed oil) but I did work with a friend on a few cars and I understand how everything works and can even comprehend a conversation with someone about car repair and follow the conversation, not just nod my head.

I did download the 69 AIM but I wanted a suggestion on a book for someone to learn actually work on the engine (not interested in doing body work myself). I am capable of doing things when explained like above with the lens in the dash but it would save me time to have a good guide one how to do simple repairs. Thoughts? ...........and again, sorry for so many questions. I have been looking and searching but my eyes are hurting.

#30 ·
X2 on the service manual and body manual. Have them for my 67 - got them when I was in my teens and learned a lot from them.

Haynes and Chilton manuals are also pretty good. I prefer Chilton over Haynes, but i am not sure they still print the Chilton manuals.

Also, there are books specific to repair and restoration of camaros -you can find them on sites like Rick's Camaros and Classic Industries. Also videos.

As for your car, sounds like suspension is too soft without damping control (shocks).

My car has a stock suspension system. My leaf springs are no longer mono leafs. I had a set of replacement springs made back in the 70's at Chester Spring Works. Front springs are a Moog replacement (can't remember the number right now...). QA1 adjustable shocks all the way around. Car handles very well, it is no sports car of course, but it rides very nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.