Team Camaro Tech banner

68 SS camaro L34 original engine and trans

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  7DL78 
#1 ·
A few years back my dad decided to sell me his 68 SS 396/350 TH400 rallye green w/ balck vinyl top camaro. He bought it brand new in 68. The car has the original engine, trans, interior and was restored back in '82 with approx 80K miles on it at the time. The carb and intake are not the original and were thrown in the trash (by my mother) about 20 years ago. It now has 96K on it. Car looks and runs great for a 26 year old resto. I have docs galore for this car including the first few checks that were wrote out to the dealership for downpayments and such. Any idea in this soft market what this car would fetch out there. I'm mainly asking for insurance purposes.

#4 ·
I insured it for 30K so I am probably not too far off. I plan on having it for my son as well. I remenber my dad or mom picking me up from grade school it that car and all the kids would gather around and check it out. Good memories that I will pass to my son.

#21 ·
... I plan on having it for my son as well. I remenber my dad or mom picking me up from grade school it that car and all the kids would gather around and check it out. Good memories that I will pass to my son.
...that is cool in so many ways :thumbsup:. Not only you have those memories yourself, ...but are in the position to create some incredible memories for your own son. Very cool :beers:
...and what a great car to keep in the family.

...tires/wheels, ...since you're driving it, ...rally's with a set of radials would be my choice. (redlines look great, ...but the ride/drive takes a big hit)

Again, ...great looking car :)

#6 ·
Only 2,579 L34 cars total in 68. With a born with drivetrain (carb and intake are minor), that car has to be in the $40K range, and maybe more, even in a "softer" market. The clones, tributes, and project cars are down, but rare real deals are still bigger money.

#8 ·
Only 2,579 L34 cars total in 68. With a born with drivetrain (carb and intake are minor), that car has to be in the $40K range, and maybe more, even in a "softer" market. The clones, tributes, and project cars are down, but rare real deals are still bigger money.
of the 2579 L34's produced, just over 1000 had the TH400. This car came with Rallye green paint which I heard was only available the second half of the model year so only 7% of 68 camaros had rallye green. Combine that with a vinyl top, tic toc tac, and a few add ons, I feel pretty luck to have a car like this

#14 ·
At least 40,000 I have watched these pretty close to calm my nerves as I put money in mine. I have seen them higher , but not moving. The fact that it has been in your family that long would make it very hard for me to part with it even for 40,000. The carb will take some hard looking to find the correct one unless you are very lucky, the intakes are pretty easy to come by. That is a very cool color. Rodney

#16 ·
Very nice car. You didn't tell us it had head rest seats, another rare option. Are they original to the car?
Thanks for all the nice responses. Yes the head rests are original as well. I'd like to know anyones thoughts on the wheels and tires. I do like what I have on now but since it is mostly original, should I do the redline tires and rally wheels. A neighbor suggested redlines with black dogdish caps. I know its personal opinion but I am torn. any thoughts

#17 ·
Did it have rallys or plain steel with dog dishes to begin with? I have a hard time believing a car ordered with all those other options didn't have full wheel covers or rally wheels.

Cars that came factory with the dog dish (aka poverty caps) had the steel wheels painted body color. On a Rally Green car, that means green wheels, and I personally wouldn't do redlines on a green wheel (too much Christmas).

For a car like that, if you want aftermarket wheels, something like Torq Thrust D's would look great. Rallys are sort of overdone, like the polished Torq Thrust 2's were a few years ago. They look nice, but by the time you buy nice GM rallys (the aftermarket rallys have some issues), GM rings, and GM caps, you have close to $1000 invested in rallys.

#18 ·
This car originally came with rallys. I have the originals (only 3 of 4 cap and rings) to put on if I want, but they are a little beat up. I'm just torn with the original look vs what I have on now. What I have on now are bought and paid for so I'll probably stick with them. Those thrust D's are nice though.

#24 ·
Love to see any and all pictures of orginal cars. Really helps us that are putting cars back together that we did not take apart. Rodney

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.