Team Camaro Tech banner

Aeromotive fuel tank / fuel system

8K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  bigblockragtop 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I am just about to buy this Aeromotive fuel tank and the rest of their fuel system for my 68 Camaro. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEI-18657/
Has anyone used one of these tanks yet or have any thoughts about it? I'm running a 540 with a carburetor. I'm going to use their regulator and do a return fuel system.

Thanks,
John

#4 ·
The biggest concern I have is I feel like I'm the first one into the pool with this thing. It looks like a great product, but I would love to hear someone say they run this tank, with a carburated motor, in a 10-second street car.

And I have seen the TANKS website- yes, the exact same tank but not the same pump.

#12 ·
Y'all come on in- the water is fine! The Aeromotive tank is in and the car is running beautifully. Did it cure my vapor lock issue? Can't tell yet, but rock-solid fuel pressure all the way to high gear & high rpm.

The install was pretty easy. It has been a long time since I wired an electric fuel pump system- crawling around under the dash and snaking wires through the full interior isn't fun, but luckily I have a short memory. The plumbing was simple once we learned how the PTFE fittings worked. The only non-Summit fitting I used leaked. The pump is very quiet- it is all good!

#7 ·
I would want a bigger (more gal/lbs per hour) pump.
Larger fuel line, minimum AN8-1/2".
And the pump/ pick up at the rear of the tank in a sump.

JMHO.

I run an Aeromotive Eliminator pump, in the tank (sump pick up) with AN10-5/8" feed line.
My pump is maxed out with a low 9 second car on gasoline, the Eliminator moves almost twice as much fuel as the Stealth 340 in that tank.

---Bill.

#8 ·
The size of the pump is another concern for sure! But Aeromotive says this is a "paradigm shift" in fuel pump engineering- with their regulator and all the right components, this will support 1000+hp. (The math supports it.)

There is a baffle in the tank that keeps the fuel from moving away from the pick up, so I'm not too concerned about that. I have a stock style pickup with a mechanical pump that is doing the job now. But the mechanical system vapor-locks easily, especially with winter gas on a warm day- something I have been trying to cure for years... This high-pressure system without a pump bolted to the block will hopefully cure that.

I have my toe in the pool, but damn- the water ain't cheap!

#11 ·
I use a weldon a1000. The Robmc pickup comes with -8 or -10an fittings. I use -8an to the regulator and back. THe regulator is mounted in the engine compartment and have a boost referenced regulator. It regulates fuel flow, it ads one lb ofpressure per lb of boost. I like the weldon or the magnafuel(Puller style) they are both pullers meaning they do not rely on gravity feed(this way I did not have to sump the tank and mount the pump low) and will run without overheating on the street. The weldon was much less $$.

#14 ·
Heat up the fuel if it recirculates? I'm way more concerned that it would heat up dead-headed at the carb! That isn't a theory I had heard. But yes, vented tank. Aeromotive has that all taken care of- there is a vent port and they supply a vent end with a check valve in cast the shiny side doesn't stay up... THAT would be a new problem!

#17 ·
I'm not finding anything specifically about fuel overheating because of a return line. Is this with a pump in the tank? Does the vent prevent this issue?

I'm not super hopeful that this will cure all of my vapor lock issues anyway. Crap "winter" gas and carburetors don't do well together... there really isn't anyway to isolate the carb when you think about it. Heat is always going to stove up from the engine internally through the intake. But at least the scorching hot mechanical fuel pump on the side of the block is gone. I was wondering if I added a gallon or 2 of AV / Race gas with each fill in the winter might help.

#18 ·
I'm not finding anything specifically about fuel overheating because of a return line. Is this with a pump in the tank? Does the vent prevent this issue?
My fuel can get pretty hot. Scary hot! One hot (105*) summer day after driving 15 miles across town in traffic, 30 minute drive.

When I got home and shut it off, you could hear the fuel boiling in the tank.
I removed the fuel cap and pressure was released, my vent only lets air in, not out, anti rollover vent.
After about 5 minutes it stopped gurgling and it did restart right away, but mine is EFI.
That day I only had about a 1/4 tank or less when I got home.
More fuel in the tank it probably would not have boiled.

My Eliminator pump is inside the tank and I use a controller that lowers the voltage to the pump when running under 3K rpm.

---Bill

#19 ·
Thanks Bill- I'll keep an eye out for any issues. My tank is pretty well vented both ways I think. The stock cap doesn't fit too tight (I've been yelled at by tech at the track because of fuel splash at launch).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.