Team Camaro Tech banner

Couple Restoration questions about my IPC?

5K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Eric Kammerer 
#1 ·
So I just started a thread in the Builder Project section about my survivor 69 396 IPC restoration and am curious about a couple things I'm finding and asking if you guys have seen this before. After removing the rear deck spoiler it looks to had been painted on the trunklid no edvidence of stripes under the spoiler and a black cloth type duck tape covering the emblem holes? Also the underside of my cowl hood is painted body color as is the floor pans and rockers? I was aware IPC had painted body color rockers but underside of hood and floor pans-not the typical GM black? Oh going back to the deck lid stripes they don't end over the back lip of the trunk lid which I thought was a IPC thing since obviously they were painted with the spoiler mounted on the car, mine the stripes stop like the Z/28's where the spoiler meets the deck lid? Any thoughts.....?

#2 ·
That would be correct for factory paint. Dealer added spoiler would have stripes under and on leading edge. Holes were covered and new holes drilled to relocate the emblem. Take a look at the Z28 striping info http://www.camaros.org/exterior.shtml Rally striping was only available on Z-10, Z-11 & Z-28 and was done the same on all three except Z-10 & Z-11 overrode the color rules and was only done in Hugger Orange.

Hood should be black but may have some overspray but again that also depends on which factory.

Loads of info on the assembly process over at CRG. http://camaros.org

#3 ·
Thanks for helping clear up a few questions I had but one question still remains; Did they ever paint the underside of Pace cars floor pans the body color white or does mine just have excessive white over spray. My buddy is convience when we put the body on my rotissary we paint the bottom of the car white. My rear inner fender wells and rear frame rails are clearly solid white, when I dropped the fuel tank even the bottom of my trunk floor has factory white over spray on that. I did find a partial build sheet still stuck to the top of the tank. My car is a LOS built car if that matters for all the white overspray..?

#14 ·
Did they ever paint the underside of Pace cars floor pans the body color white or does mine just have excessive white over spray. My rear inner fender wells and rear frame rails are clearly solid white, when I dropped the fuel tank even the bottom of my trunk floor has factory white over spray on that. I did find a partial build sheet still stuck to the top of the tank. My car is a LOS built car if that matters for all the white overspray..?
As far as I can tell from my car, the body stampings, floor pan, et al...come with a finish, and/or then black paint.

My car has the white overspray from when it was painted and goes about half way towards the tunnel or center under the car.
The amount of overspray on my car is not in great volumes,
but appears more like a light haze ( think of it as you pull the spray gun away from and object: the paint diffuses and breaks down into small droplets to the size of specks ),
with some heavy specks of gathered paint in the size of a semi used pencil tip ( a guess in terms of comparison ).

My car also has the same paint overspray consistency above the gas tank areas.
Undercoating is present on mine.

#4 ·
I'd say the overspray you descibe is normal. The amount varied from one car to the next. Being white makes it more obvious. The fact that the build sheet was still there almost proves it's factory original under there. I presume you found a heavy coating of sound deadener in the wheel wells, over the white ?

#5 ·
Thats exactly what I found Garth, the only place on the car to any sign of undercoating is located in both rear wheel wells. I almost looks like bedliner material which my buddy and talked about putting back in there, I hate that rubberized undercoating crap, that stuff makes people think your trying to hide something even when your not!! Oh and the coverage is terrible, you can see the wheel well was painted solid white and then maybe only one swipe with the factory under coat was applied because they didn't shoot it all the way to the outside wheel well lips or inside to the frame rail. I got some great shots of the whole tear down so far that shows all this, I just need to figure out how to down load all of it.....

#6 ·
Yeah well, regarding the undercarriage paint and coatings, the factory was more concerned with production than appearance and things got a bit sloppy, as you know. I think most folks follow RamAirDaves motto, "Build Them Like the Factory Intended Them To Be", when doing a restoration. But there are other folks that try to duplicate the factory look as close as possible. It's your call.....

#8 ·
Tim, Have you ever taken a close look at a Model A or T ? Now that was
crude. Just the level of technology at the time. That's also what makes
rebuilding these cars doable for most of us. No high tech equipment required.
I fully agree with your "over restored" statement. Do you suppose judging
these cars at major shows has changed over the years ?

#15 ·
Hmmm so now my question becomes what do I paint the bottom of my car, I have a couple of gallons of the GM semi gloss or flat black paint I bought and stashed before they disco'd it which would look prefect with no over spray on the floors, or Gm semiflat black with recreated white over spray or paint the whole underside white...? My personal preference is either all semi flat black or all white I just don't like the actual most original or correct way with the sloppy overspray...On a side note the factory black that is present on the underside floor pans has terrible coverage, some bare spots, some heavy spots with runs no consitantcy's at all. Again I realize these were production assembled vehicles when I paint mine today or tomorrow I want good even coverage getting in all areas no runs... geez we way over restore these cars from the smallest detail to even the largest

#17 ·
Thanks Al for the advise...cool thread by the way about your 67, I'll be watching that one now too! I did go check out CRG website for info but it becomes so overwelming all the info I found myself surfing the site and getting seriously lost and side tracked. Good stuff and alot of it. On this paticular car I am tending to be more anal about restoring as it was or correct since it is and was a survivor car but I just want to do it better, cleaner and nicer say if the Factory actual was given the time to do it a little less mass production and a little more quality control....otherwise over restored!! Haha....

#18 ·
My goal with my car was a restoration.
However, ALL of us dont have GM's plant to replicate EXACTLY what occurred at that time; in reference to today.
WE hobbyists tend to objectively pursue the attempt of recreating what it looked like.
Variations exsist; thus your inquiry to establish patterns.
As stated by a previous member here in this thread, its all up to you how you desire the finished outcome to result.
Its your car; finish it as you prefer.

If you are attempting to recreate the factory plant's finish as you have discovered it upon your car, then the choice is yours to do so in that manner.

Back to my car, I did alot of soap and water cleaning of the floor pan and firewall.
When you overscrub, you will discover the finish to the bare metal after GM's plants stamped them from the dies.
My car shows that finish; then I have found black paint over that.
The underside shows the overspray of the Dover White paint on the black paint and disappears under the undercoating.

When I replaced my undercoating, I carefully determined the amount of overspray and undercoating.

EVERY car is different in how it was done.
It was an assembly plant.
They were not building for concours shows nor points standards that exist today.
Always take this into consideration.

I hope others will share their observations and discoveries here....

#19 ·
Discussed at CRG: here's a thread I found through google, so the format is weird.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=105.0;wap2

I know there's more at CRG.

There's also dedicated camaro pacer sites online.

My NOR 10d 69 vert was also Dover White, and under the undercoating (applied all over, possibly/likely by dealer or PO) nearly all metal was white. The only area not nearly pure, fairly solid white, was up in top of trans tunnel. I'd have to try to find post-undercoat removal pics to see if I noted the tunnel color.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.