Team Camaro Tech banner

GM 572 Crate Motor...is it streetable?

18K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Everett#2390 
#1 ·
Can this motor be installed in a 68 Camaro that would have aftermarket A/C and a 4 speed and be a streetable car?

By streetable, I mean being able to cruise casually and leave stoplights without feeling like you're riding a bucking bronco.

Anyone have this engine in their Camaro?

#3 ·
The 620HP is plenty streetable...if you dont mind the fact that you have 620HP on tap. Literally on TAP. Unless youve ever had something like that, it aint THAT streetable.
JMHO of course.

#5 ·
These are tall decks, aren't they?

You do need to be aware of fitment problems. A tall deck motor is both taller and wider then a standard mark 4. Hood, steering box, and brake booster clearance can be problematic, specific headers may be needed. Accessory drive systems are affected.

All of this stuff can be overcome by thorough planning and buying the right parts. Lack of planning will result in lots of cursing and lots of money spent twice.

#6 ·
You are absolutely correct sir!

My tall deck 540 needed custom headers,custom accessory drives,etc. If I had it to do over, build a 9.8 inch deck height 502 or 540. They will run just as well will alot less headaches,and for less $ I might add.

Speedomotive has an all ALUMINUM 572, 700 HP on pump gas for about $15K. Yes, it is a bunch of cash,but when you can have an aluminum block with 100HP more for just a little extra, its a much better value. They also have more economical short-deck engines in steel or aluminum.

More power, less weight, less hassles than the 572 crate. (hey it rhymes! :) )

#7 ·
i have put alot of tall decks in camaros, trucks, nova's, and one corvette, never had to have any headers made just used what we had, the deck is .400 taller. if something is in the way of your big new 572 you trim it. and yea you can put the creature comfort stuff on em, a/c p/s , have buddy w/600 ci engine w/air p/s etc in a steet car w/ 880hp and he has two NOS kits on it just in case he is late for work.

#8 ·
The bigger question,..is the car set up for 600 hp? Most everything in the drivetrain, from the flywheel to the axles and lug studs, need to upgraded. The HP is the easy part,..setting up the car to take it is another (expensive) story.

Also, if you're running a Muncie and sticky tires, you will puke transmission parts with that kind of HP and torque.

But it sounds like a fun project,..good lucK!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.