Team Camaro Tech banner

Power Steering Issues

11K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  chuck0379 
#1 ·
Hey guys I've just installed a new P/S box, P/S pump, remote reservoir and spent 3 hours turing the wheels and still getting lots of tiny bubble in the reservoir. Started up and it's ok at idle (one finger ish) but while driving it's a bit stiff. Also, when turing the wheels (engine off wheels off the ground) the reservoir goes way up then slowly goes down, turn it the other way it goes way up again and slowly goes down. Only getting bubble mostly when turning the wheels to the right. Double checked all fitting and no sign of any leaks. I am running a hydraboost and routed all possible lines through the fender. Is there a way to bleed the H/B system? P/S pump i making a whining noise as the engine revs from the start. This is a new kit from Billet Specialties. Could the pump be bad or is there still air in the lines? No foam or milky fluid. I can also hear a noise from the steering box when I turn the wheels. Not metal, just a weird gurgling noise when turing to the left.

Fluid I'm using is Mr. Gunk clear fluid.

Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
You still have air in the system. Did you do a proper air bleed ?

#4 ·
That's the way to do it ! Turn it from lock to lock to cycle it through its full range of motion. Repeat this about 50 or more times.

The fluid changing levels like that is a sure sign of air in the lines. I am not familiar with a hydraboost so I might be missing something.

#6 ·
I would try genuine GM power steering fluid in your system. You might be surprised that the GM fluid allows the small air bubbles to combine and come out of solution easier. I think that there is an accumulator on the Hydroboost unit. After you get most of the air out of the power steering side of the system, you might try pressing on the brake pedal a few times. I don't know if pressing on the brake will help remove air from the Hydroboost side of the system. I would think that the accumulator will fill when you start the engine.

I do not recall that people had significant difficulty in getting the air out of a system with Hydroboost. You might double check your low pressure hose connections. It is possible to suck air into the low pressure side of a power steering system even though that same connection does not leak oil.
Jim

#7 ·
Thanks Jim. The return line is new, but the hose has been in the garage for a couple years. I am going to replace it with a new hose and fittings. Also, I will try the brake peddle as well. I read that on another fourm as well. Can't get ahold of GM P/S fluid in the UK, but I will have a look on e-bay. The Air Force base only stocks the Gunk fluid. Maybe one of the local shops might have it.

#8 ·
Ok guy been working on the P/S for two months now on the weekends and it still isn't working. Still turning the wheels L & R, and not many bubbles, but the reservoir still rises when turning left and right. Does not rise with the enging on though. Also, with the engine idling the fluid is fine no bubbles or foaming, but as I increase the RPM's the bubbles start to appear. The higher the revs the more and bigger the bubbles become. Leads me to believe that there is a leak somewhere but what would cause this. Replaced all fittings (TPFE) and hoses, but did not hook up the Hydraboost this time just to see if the Hydraboost was causing the problem.

Any help would be appreciated I give up :)

#10 ·
Are you using a type 2 pump? I think there have been some problems with where the low pressure hose connects to the pump. They come with a press fit metal tube that can suck air into the system. The fix has been to tap the hole and use a threaded pipe.

#11 ·
Thanks for the reply. It's not the type two pump, but the Tru Trac Serpentine System from Billet Specialties. I replaced the hoses and fittings again, and might have fixed it. One of the fittings on the retun line was stripped. Going to look at it later and see if it works.

#12 ·
Got it working a bit better. No bubble this time during this quick video, but after I turned it off it had lots of tiny bubbles. I guess I didn't turn enough the first time. The fluid doesn't raise when I turn the wheels this time. Last time I would raise about 4 inches on each turn. Just have to run new lines to the hydraboost and take it for a test drive...

#13 ·
I was looking at Billet Specialties site and noticed a "note" about tru trac systems not being designed to work with hydoboost. Just wanted to point that out. Good luck with the changes. Who knows, it might work just fine.

#14 ·
I had a similar problem when I installed mine. I turned out I didn't have the inserts that go into the ps box. I'll see if I can find that thread...

Here's the thread: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197904. I was dealing with bracket issues (you can ignore that part of the thread), and foaming/boiling issues. The last post on the first page addresses that, then continues to the second page. The inserts from Lee mfg. solved my problems.

#17 ·
On a remote reservoir system, take a look at where and how the fluid is returning. I had a circle track style reservoir from Sweet that had a small cap over the return line inside the reservoir. This cap had a hole on the side to swirl the oil around. The cap caused a vortex that sucked air into the oil and it would start growling when driven on the highway at any speed. Take a look in the reservoir and speed up the engine. The oil must cover the return entry point.
David

#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.