Team Camaro Tech banner

68 with drop spindles - What spring rate?

7K views 41 replies 8 participants last post by  68camarobigblock 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a Plain Jane 68 with 2" drop spindles. My springs are very soft and when I sit on the car the tires almost hit the wheel wells. If I hit a bump it will defentally hit. What spring rate can I put on to help prevent this? What brand?

Thanks
-Brian

#3 ·
#6 ·
A cheap alternative right now might be to get some new stock replacement springs and see where you sit....then adjust from there ?
Mine:
Moog Z28 replacement springs and 1 full coil cut (205/65/15's) front
4-leaf Z28 springs from JCwhitney (275/60/15) rear

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Sedan

#7 ·
Yeah cheap is good. Doug, are you talking about keeping the drop spindles and getting a stiffer spring? I really want to drive the car. I looked at some springs and I am not sure what spring rate would work the best.

#11 ·
Brian...if you got stock springs from your local auto parts store (say $70??) and installed them to see where you sit (should be close to mine) then we could adjust from there is it was high.
This way you keep your spindles,brakes,ect and I guess the cheaper way out instead of a complete front-end rebuild.

IMO :)

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks Doug, yea talking to Allen at Supermusclecarparts.com recommended me going with an adjustable coilover in the front. He recommended a brand that he does not even sell. He was very nice and informative.

I was thinking that that would be the easiest since I am not a car guy and do not have much experience with working on cars. I hear a lot of people talking about the QA1 coil overs. From what I read it is an easy install. What do you think?

Thanks
-Brian

#15 ·
Yeah I know they are more expensive, but if I get a spring for $100 and find out that it does not have the spring rate that I need or like, I have to spend another $100, remove the other ones and install the new ones. It take me a long time to work on this car due to my lack of experience and my time is expensive. :)

If I install adjustable ones I should not have to remove it until I put tubular arms on.

#22 ·
Greetings from Arizona
I have a 69 Droptop, I put 2 in drop spindles from CPP with their disc brake set-up, also went to mutli-leaf rear springs. My orginal springs were new, but I had cut 1 coil to get car to sit level. never had car on road, so when I redid car 5 years ago I went drop spindles at that time. Put in cut springs, car sat about 21 inches to top of wheel well, so I got new uncut springs, 22 inches, so I went big block springs, now after 3 years of driving it's 23 inches, and lower cross-member is about 3 inches from road. I also Had new front rally wheels made...15x6 due to CPP didn't advise me to run larger then 16 inch or bigger rim size. I love the handling but
will never run droped spindles again on anything I own.
j

#24 ·
Thanks guys, I have not even drove the car yet with the spindles. I am still going to go with adjustable coil-overs and if I do not like the ride, I will change out the spindles. I will post some more pictures at http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192759 . I should have it rolling this weekend w/o the new coil-overs.

#30 ·
Brian I think you have to change spindles when going to coil overs do to the way they work. They are designed to bring your car up to factory height and down 2'' so with a dropped spindle you would be cranked up all the way and may still be down 2''. Someone out here correct me if i'm wrong.

#31 ·
Don't we need someone to explore this arrangement?

Sounds like he has the money and time.

Also, don't coil overs use coil over springs and not regular springs?

Regular spindles (no cost, you should already have them) and Hotchkiss 2" drop springs (around $180 tops, shipped). Coil over setup (north of $1000).

If you ain't a gearhead yet, by the time you get that coil over/drop spindle front suspension working you will be (and a little poorer).

#34 ·
Don't we need someone to explore this arrangement?

Regular spindles (no cost, you should already have them) and Hotchkiss 2" drop springs (around $180 tops, shipped). Coil over setup (north of $1000).
I had front drums on before so I do not have the standard spindles. QA1 recomended GS401-10400A and they gor for $450.

Thanks
-Brian

#38 ·
Getting ready to do drop kit. I have a 68 coupe 454. I currently am using 15x7 rally in front but was interested in the 16" rally after the drop. Dont know backspaces yet. I was getting close to install the cpp drop spindle kit with the SEPERATE steering arm. I originally was looking on here to see what stiff springs works best. Now I need to regroup and see if we are all on the same page.
1) Are the problems related to all drop spindles or just the shorts with steering arm molded to the spindle? I purchaced the cpp tall spindles with bolt on steering arm like factory had it. I was hoping the would solve the problem they were having.
2) I also have the Global West tubular control arm kit. If I were to go to 2" drop spring only and factory spindles is there a comprimise on alignment readings? ie Do I run out of shims before alignment is where I need it? I was hoping the drop spindle would allow me to dial it in where ever I choose since geometry stayed the same just lower height.
I appreciate the help. I just need info about the tall spindles not the 1 piece. I need to know if the problems are still the same.
Thanks
Steve

#39 ·
Just to let everyone know I went with the QA1 GS401-10400A. It is nice to be able to dial in the height.

Just make sure you get the thruster bearings and tool's (should come with it) it makes the adjustment so much easier.

The ride is very nice. I still need to get it aligned but so far all is good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.