Team Camaro Tech banner

Steps needed to convert to roller lifters:

10K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  novaderrik 
#1 ·
Please list, in great detail, the procedure to convert a non-roller SBC to run roller lifters and cam.

Essentially, what i'm trying to do (mentally at this point) is to create a vortec sbc from a stock generation 1 sbc; This way you can still run a mechanical fuel pump yet have all the advantages of the later after 86 versions.

b) We can also discuss what it would take to properly drill a fuel pump pushrod hole in an after 86 block so we can run a mechanical fuel pump.

#2 ·
I believe some of the later 1pc seal blocks are set up to run the mechanical pump. The factory did this and just used a block off plate. I'm certain I've seen them before this way.

As for converting the older blocks you just need to buy any manufacturer's retrofit hydraulic roller lifters and cam.

Brian

#4 ·
why not just get a later model roller block that has all the provisions for the mechanical fuel pump and use stock parts? seems like the easiest way to go about it- which is why i did just that when i use an 87 Caprice 350 block and crank as the basis for the HOT cammed and vortec headed 355 that i built for my Nova way back in the spring of 2000.

don't know where to get a block with the proper parts- any 87-89 rwd car (Caprice, Camaro) with a carbureted 350 will have the block you need, as well as all the roller cam goodies (lifters, dogbones, spider, pushrods) since they came with a roller cam and mechanical fuel pump stock.

now that i've laid out all the pertinent knowledge you need to progress from this point going forward, i hereby respectfully withdraw from this thread.

#5 ·
Some of the 90's fuel injected cars had the setup for the fuelpump too , just didn't have the rod hole punched out. I pulled one out of a 91 RS Camaro. Full roller four bolt block . Many of the non roller blocks have all of the privisions to go roller " lifter retainer or spider" just not drilled and tapped. Many old police cars have four bolt mains and are roller. Just look fore one of them , or an old taxi that was a police car at one time. I have never seen a late model four bolt block that did not have a roller cam in it or the provisions at liest.
As brian stated before I think you have to go aftermarket for a early two piece seal block due to the retainer bosses not exsiting.

#6 ·
also, some of the TBI truck blocks up to 95 and the vortec blocks from 96-01 are also fully set up with the roller cam and fuel pump provisions, but in the case of the TBI truck engines they had all the bosses and lifter bores machined for the roller stuff but had flat tappet cams and the vortecs had the roller cam and usually have the fuel pump pushrod hole drilled but the cam doesn't have a lobe for the fuel pump.
i guess what i'm saying here is if you are looking to build a vortec headed small block, then start with a vortec engine and swap a cam into it with a fuel pump lobe...

#8 ·
i just noticed summitt has a reman/refurbished vortec block available that is roller lifter ready AND has the fuel pump hole provision for about $799. i'm not sure what the bore is(will have to check) but it is set up to be a 383 so i'm assuming it can take the 400 crank.

i am just wondering what other cube combinations there could be as my goal for this would be to just have a sbc with roller lifter, high compression, and just really to have all the advantages of a vortec engine AND be able to run a mechanical pump.

#15 ·
you'll have about that much money in a complete core vortec 350 engine with the machine work done on the block locally, and you'd have all the little odds and ends that you'd need to get the engine together such as vale covers, oil pan, timing cover, and all the roller cam related stuff plus all the associated hardware to hold it all on..

#11 ·
The one recommended and sold by Cam manufacturer ;)

#13 ·
Please list, in great detail, the procedure to convert a non-roller SBC to run roller lifters and cam.

Essentially, what i'm trying to do (mentally at this point) is to create a vortec sbc from a stock generation 1 sbc; This way you can still run a mechanical fuel pump yet have all the advantages of the later after 86 versions.

b) We can also discuss what it would take to properly drill a fuel pump pushrod hole in an after 86 block so we can run a mechanical fuel pump.

Download the Crane Catalog then read it.

The cam can only move fore and aft about 0.005" You should use the torrington bearing Timing set and the Roller bearing cam button. You will need a reinforced timing cover. The Crane Catalog explains how to do this and how to measure it.
After that it is the same as a regular flat tappet cam and lifter set, drop in the lifters install the heads etc. Make sure you have a cast iron dist gear on the cam, OR get the Lunati EVERWEAR gear fr $53, it will work with billet cores and neither will wear. https://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1431 .500" shaft, MSD others
The .490" shaft (Stock HEI) etc and a .427a' dia shaft model plus reverse rotation drives are available.

#18 ·
Summit wasn't charging tax a couple weeks ago. If you live in a state they ship from that's probably a different story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.