Team Camaro Tech banner

Bumper guards with no rubber inserts

10K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  red67L78 
#1 ·
I sold my Camaro :( and I'm trying to sell a few parts that I have around.

I have a set of Bumper Guards that do not have the rubber strip on them. I saw an add on eBay of a similar set that described them as "early" and "rare".

Is this the case?

They would need to be re-chromed. A bit pitted.

Any guesses as where to start the bidding/reserve?

#2 ·
No, not rare, but still desirable if original GM. Over 35,000 cars sold in 67 with V32 rear guards. Chrome wasn't great even when new and most any used set will be in need of re-chroming by todays standards.

I was shopping ebay a few years ago and seems selling prices ranged from $75-100 or so...

#3 ·
Thanks a lot!

This site has always been a great source of information.

I'll be back someday... Perhaps after I retire... I'll be looking for another project. Just too many things happening in life right now to give the car the attention it deserved.

Thanks again

#5 ·
Hey Bill, got to thinking about this later....From your description, "no rubber inserts", maybe you're describing the short "bumperettes" that fit on the bottom of the bumper and extend down ?

What year are we talkin' ? 67 bumperettes may be considered "early and rare"....semi rare.;)

#6 ·
wow...hope I didn't ruin your sale.:D lol

Yes, those are what I was describing in my first reply. They were optional (RPO V32). 67 and 68 are the same. They look pretty good and if original GM, I'd say my estimate is in the ballpark. Pretty hard to distinguish original vs repop without actually mounting them on the car as the repops are very close but not a perfect fit.

#8 ·
I've never seen them like that, being solid across the face. How do the rubber inserts attach ? Adhesive ?? 68 has a slot and the inserts have studs that fit into it.

The fasteners, hardware and brackets sure look like GM.

Hopefully someone familar with 67 guards will chime in. I thought 67/8 were the same, but now I'm thinking not.....

If they are GM, they may very well be rare and quite desirable to the purist restorer.

#10 ·
Garth,

You have peaked my curiosity. I stopped the eBay auction.

I got these when I bought the car about 8 or so years ago. Never tried to install them. Could maybe they not be from a Camaro? Never even considered that since they came with the car. Didn't want to sell them as a Camaro part if they were not.

The shape where the bumper goes looks to be about right. The surface on the inside, where the rubber would go, looks like its never been touched. (as if someone welded up a hole and re-chromed)

On one of the guards there appears to be an area that looks like a grinder mark that was pre-chroming. I tried to take a picture of it. I just figured it as a defect. But again, nothing on the inside to indicate any alteration was made.

Sorry for the "Made in China" box in the background :)

Attachments

#12 ·
The AIM shows three studs that go through the guard. I had to reduce the file size ion the attached AIM .pdf in order to upload it. It's a little blurry.

Again, nothing in that area on the inside to indicate that the holes were welded up. Flat as can be...

Also looks as if there is a type of recessed pocket that the rubber fits into. However, it is a 45 year old rendering. May not be that detailed of a drawing.

Attachments

#14 ·
Your correct, however there's nothing on the face that the rubber would mount to. No holes, no slot, nothing. Just a smooth chromed surface. Smooth and flat on the inside surface as well. To me they don't look like they have been modified in any way.

Any more guesses as to what they are? A defect that was installed at the factory? Different car maybe?

I cant seem to find anything else that even looks close from another car.

#17 ·
Well, if it can't be confirmed early 67 cars had this style of guard, I'd say it's either a repop or possibly an over the counter replacement (GM). It wouldn't be too difficult to drill some holes for the insert studs.

Tell us more about the car that these came with. Was it an early build ? Did it have the holes in the tailpanel for the bumper guards ? As I mentioned, those fasteners are definitely factory. Could be the guards were a replacement and the original fasteners were transfered ?

Who knows, just speculating.....

#18 ·
I posted the question on CRG website.

A guy over there (Ed), in his words:
VERY early 67 bumper guards were like that". "They're VERY rare, and were only used for the first few weeks of production."

The car that they came with was not that early of a production number. Not sure where the parts came from. They were in a box of spare parts when I bought the car.

Would love to see them go on a period correct car. Could be hard finding someone that has a car from the first few weeks of production.

Don't need to be able to put my son through college from the sale but, if the above is true, what would be a fair and reasonable price for these?

#21 ·
I posted the question on CRG website.

A guy over there (Ed), in his words:
VERY early 67 bumper guards were like that". "They're VERY rare, and were only used for the first few weeks of production."

The car that they came with was not that early of a production number. Not sure where the parts came from. They were in a box of spare parts when I bought the car.

Would love to see them go on a period correct car. Could be hard finding someone that has a car from the first few weeks of production.

Don't need to be able to put my son through college from the sale but, if the above is true, what would be a fair and reasonable price for these?
COOL ! :hurray:Yeah, Ed's been around a time or 2. :thumbsup:

Would like to hear the whole story behind these guards, but I'd imagine they used adhesive for the rubber insert and it failed ! Note the tit at the top where the rubber butts up to. They're identical to the common 67/8 version with out the slot for mounting the rubber.

Still though, to the right person, your originals should be worth a premium....

Good luck !

#25 ·
COOL ! :hurray:Yeah, Ed's been around a time or 2. :thumbsup:

Would like to hear the whole story behind these guards, but I'd imagine they used adhesive for the rubber insert and it failed ! Note the tit at the top where the rubber butts up to. They're identical to the common 67/8 version with out the slot for mounting the rubber.

Still though, to the right person, your originals should be worth a premium....

Good luck !
Garth these never had rubber nor was it intended to have rubber on it according to Ed. They were meant to be solid chrome.

#19 ·
Bill, going to be hard to put a price on since what do you compare them to as I have never seen a set before let along what any of them have sold for in the past. Small market (# of people who would want/need) but for those who could use I'm sure they would be willing to pay up.....

#20 ·
I took a set of these off a camaro years ago. Guy replaced with repop bumper. I posted the info here and nobody at the time seemed puzzeled. I no longer have car i put them on and original bumper still on them. They had a LO on both hold brackets. I assumed either 67 or may 67 (07) . some kind of dating. My personal opinion was they were factory installed for blacked out rear panal for the big block cars with bumperette ordered option. Appearance from rear looked better with all chrome guard. The car i took them off was a July 67 L78 camaro that before guy died told me they were on car. He was the second owner of car.

#27 ·
I don't see anything. On the "fixed" bracket with the tapped hole, right?

Since you're from Brookfield WI maybe they came from CPX in Milwaukee. Worked there for many years and recall having several pair of those.
The car spent much of its life in the Oconomowoc (mid-80's thru 92ish) it then did a brief stint in South Dakota before returning to Oconomowoc.
I believe the car was owned by a body shop owner in Oconomowoc who restored it for his son who took it to South Dakota. The car had sat for a long time next to the body shop after returning from South Dakota.(10 years) I bought it from a Police Officer in Oconomowoc who had purchased it from the body shop owner.
Long story short, it is possible they came from CPX. Maybe bought by the body shop owner? Would have been before 92ish. I'm sure the police officer I got the car from didn't buy them.

#29 ·
Oconomowoc? That's easy!

#31 ·
Anyone have an idea how I could find someone that could use these?

I would really prefer to see them go on a correct car.

I would like to create a post for these looking for someone with the correct car. I know this forum doesn't like "for sale" posts in there regular forums. However, this is as much of a search for the right car (if not more) as it is a "for sale".

Would a guy that has such a early car necessarily be looking through the "for sale" section for these. From what I can gather, he probably doesn't even know these existed.

I would rather they not go to the highest bidder only to have the flipped for a profit.

Any thoughts?

In the interest of full disclosure, I also posted this same question on CRG web site.

#32 ·
PM clill (Charlie), he's as informed on rare parts as anyone on this site. He's a straight shooter and not going to try to take advantage of you and will give you sound advice.

Trying to find "the right car" and owner doesn't override forum rules, when you are ready to sell, list them in the classifieds (yes, the person restoring the right car would look in the classifieds, it's part of the game searching for parts). Besides anything you post in open forum has the potential to bite you in the butt, if someone thinks they can flip your part and make a buck they will tell you what you want to hear to get them from you...

#33 ·
You might also ask "nosnevada", an e-bay seller, if he had these bumper guards made up, or if he knows who was. As I recall, he is the guy that was behind CPX.

#36 ·
Mike McGee has a set over in San Bruno..
We talked about them a couple of years ago...he has been around Camaros for awhile and was not sure of where his came from either!

They may be rare but correct and desirable...not sure..?

Maybe Jim at HBC could tell the story as Charlie suggests...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.