Team Camaro Tech banner

Turning Swiss cheese into a Camaro

186K views 757 replies 81 participants last post by  stamatisg1977 
#1 ·
hey guys i thought i would document my build of my 69 X55. the car was stripped down to the shell and has been rebuilt by Tony at Muscle Car Metal. I hope you all enjoy the rebirth of my car

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: turning swiss cheese into a camaro

Here it is getting ready to go up north

Here it is at Tony's shop

let the magician do his work...

#4 ·

heres one of the rockers

fully torn down and on its way to be media blasted and epoxy primed

#16 ·

looks good, when did you start?
I trailored the car up the saturday after thanksgiving. and got the car back in the beginning of April. Tony had about 2 cars ahead of mine and i have been at it ever since it came back

#10 ·

back in my hands tony did an excellent job here are some pics of the subframe as my car was being rebuilt

media blasted and powdercoated satin black

#12 ·

OK back to the car. here i prepped the underside and used U-POL Raptor bedliner material. I am very pleased with the overall outcome.

#17 ·
#15 ·

Finally got my doors. they were supposed to be apart of the package but they were backordered for about a month.
i got around to hanging the doors. the drivers door lined up perfect. i mean the door to quarter gap was flawless top to bottom, along the rocker etc.

BUT, the middle of the doorline where it meets the middle of the quarter was too flat, by almost 2 inches!!

there was no help for the passenger door, it was just plain ugly, Tony had me measure the bottom edge of the door from front to back and it should read 48-1/4". it read only 48". the door to quarter gap was disgusting.

So Tony being the man he is, is gonna drive down to long island (about 400 miles) with the doors that he used to set my car up (now these are his only set that he has to mock up all his cars) AND he is bringing new GM hinges and we are going to hang the doors on wednesday!! Tony is a builder that stands by his work and is truly dedicated to his customers satisfaction!
Thank you all for joining in on the fun. I will continue to post and will have a million more questions as i move on
Enjoy everyone!!
Steven

#19 ·

WOW!! This really blows my mind that such a great looking paint job (first photos) was laid down over soooooo much rust-olla. That is scary. I mean if it had been for sale at a used car lot or something, most people would probably have been taken in & burned.

Definitely looks like the car wound up in really good hands. It’ll be better than brand spanking were you are done. Thanks for sharing your work in progress. :)

#20 ·

Great project - I liked what you did with the quarter panels and tail panel -- putting them together as a unit before putting them back on the car --- was it a pain in the a$$ to get it aligned and put back on? My buddies and I went through a lot of mock up to get the quarters and tails panel aligned when we did my car -- however we did each quarter and the tail panel separately ----- anyway, your project is looking great so keep up the good work

#21 ·

Great project - I liked what you did with the quarter panels and tail panel -- putting them together as a unit before putting them back on the car --- was it a pain in the a$$ to get it aligned and put back on? My buddies and I went through a lot of mock up to get the quarters and tails panel aligned when we did my car -- however we did each quarter and the tail panel separately ----- anyway, your project is looking great so keep up the good work
thank you everyone, but i cant take credit for the body panels being assembled. i took my car to muscle car metal and the owner Tony did the re-body as i am not too skilled at welding and fitting panels, but the rest i am very comfortable with doing myself:yes:

#23 ·

Are those Goodmark doors?

Don

#26 ·

Are those Goodmark doors?

Don
they are dynacorn doors. Tony is bringing down his own personal set of doors that he uses to mock up his cars with and he is gonna swap them out and give me new GM hinges.

#24 ·

My Hats off to you. You are taking on the same task I did. You did yours all at once, where I did mine a bit at a time. My body was just finished, and I am getting ready to have the underside sprayed with spray Truck Bedlinner. I actually built the rear end, and lined up the sheet metal, before removing the floor. The floor was the last step, but it is not done.
Good luck on the build!

#25 ·

I bought my doord from NPD, The doors were a great fit. It took minimal effort to get them together. Where did these doors come from?

#28 ·
Re: turning swiss cheese into a Camaro

I have Just completed the gas strut swap on the rear trunk lid. i must say it took a little trial and error to finally get it to where i want it to open but it opens slow and so ever smooth not like my torsion bars where i thought the lid was gonna smack the back windshield haha

#29 ·

Steven

Glad to see it work out. I bought a set of those too from Strut Your Stuff (Mike). I bought a pair of the 60 lb 10" struts. Is that what yours are?

#30 ·

I think I would like my trunk to open a little further than what yours does though. Do you find it to be a little tight or is it just the picture making it look like a narrow opening?