Team Camaro Tech banner

4L80E swap into '67

22K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Camaros-n-Chevelles 
#1 ·
Anyone swapped a 4L80E into a first gen recently? I like the gear ratios better than the 700r4, plus the fully programmable capabilities. Jakes gets good reviews - I also see Hughes and Rossler are building these. Any experience?

#2 ·
I'm in the process now. I'll be ordering the BMR crossmember later this week (they're running a 15% off sale thru the end of the year), as the mounting point is much further back than any of the older trans. I've heard it's a tight fit that may require 90 degree fittings at the trans cooler lines, and they've got to be extended fittings that stick into the trans about 2" like the stock fittings. I think Jake's has them.

#6 ·
I know it'll drop into mine- the front end sheetmetal is off..... ;). I just put a tape on it- it's 32.5" from the bell housing face to the end of the output shaft. A short tailshaft TH400 is about 29", and a 700R4 is about 31". If you google " GM trans dimensions", you'll get several sites with diagrams and dimensions

#12 ·
I installed a 4L80E in my 67 2 years ago.
there is no fitment problem, only a very tight place for the atf fittings. (It is the old version with both fittings on the front) I would think that the second version with one fitting on the back would be still more difficult.
I rebuilt it with parts from Jakes and a 3500 converter.
The transmission is very long, so the shaft is very short now.

#13 ·
good info on not having to massage the tranny tunnel. I think Bob is getting close to installing his as well.

I have decided to go with a 4L80E, just not sure which one, but the 6AN aftermarket fittings seem the way to go on the cooler lines

#14 ·
Got mine in today- will post pics on Monday. With the -6AN fittings from Sweet Performance ($20 on Ebay- their website seems to be having shopping cart issues) and some 90 degree swivel fittings, there's roughly 3/8-1/2" of clearance at the tunnel for both fittings. That's with the bellhousng mounting flange sitting around 1 1/2" from the firewall. There's plenty of room at the top of the tunnel for the full length of the trans.

I was going to use the fitting from Jakes, but both email and voicemail messages didn't receive responses, so I went with Sweet. I ordered them around 10pm on a Friday, and had them on Tuesday via first class mail.

#16 ·
It worked out great. Only thing I'd say is if the engine was even 1/2 an inch further back, it wouldn't work. It's all the way back on the sliders, and the trans bolt is centered in the slot in the mount. Other than that, it looks great, the welds are very clean, and it seems to be tucked up about as high as you can get a crossmember to be. Exhaust clearance shouldn't be an issue.

#19 ·
I think it's the angle I took that pic from- the front actually has more clearance than the rear. I plumbed everything before I installed the trans. I ran the lines loose for now, and just put a small plate at the old AC compressor mounting location on the engine to hold them in place, as I'm not sure yet where I'll run them after the headers, etc., are in.

I'd say the trans would have to be lowered to get the 90 degree fittings off, as there's probably not enough room to get them off the adapter fittings on the trans without hitting the tunnel. Hopefully they'll never need to come off though.... ;)

#21 ·
hi are you going to ues the 67 shifter with this set up. if so have you worked out the linkage yet im going to do use the same trans and i want to use the original shifter b.but im far from that point thanks omar
I'm planning to use a cable-operated shifter, so I won't have to worry about linkage. I know I've seen others who made the rod-operated shifters work, and I believe they just had to make some minor mods to the bracket that attached to the trans.

#22 ·
Awesome information.

I will be doing the swap over the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.