Team Camaro Tech banner

What's it worth? Restored 1969 Camaro

10K views 50 replies 21 participants last post by  TModel66 
#1 ·
#4 ·
#6 ·
No way that car is 40K never..... Not based on the information. Have you seen the prices out there? I'm serious....

I can buy a #1 1969 Camaro Convertible Matching # Real RS/SS for way cheaper in show condition.
As for the car in OP it's not worth 40K no way without original engine and paper work to verify it's SS.

Would you please send me a PM and tell me where the vert is ? I don't need a car but I'll buy the one you describe in show condition today cheaper than 40K.
I have cash in hand.

#14 ·
It's not listed as a #s match car.

If the body and paint are perfect SHOW QUALITY and the quality of the rest of the car is top knotch I don't see mid 40s as way off. $52 I don't think so.

I see a lot of 1st gens and I've bought a sold a few. I see a lot in the mid $30s that are pretty good. But to me it's all about the body and paint. As soon as I seen paint is in the future I figure $10K

Just picked up a 69 Thursday for a buddy of mine. No show quality but spending less then $5K it will make it a very nice driver.

#8 ·
Guys it's not worth arguing over pricing with these old cars! The market is not consistent from state to state on quality drivers and more so the buying public is not very well informed either. Consignment shops consistently get from $5k and up more than private party prices and because these cars are weekend toys for a lot of folks who will see a car and want it at almost any price and because owners dump far more into these cars than they are worth, sellers often ask extremely high prices... And sometimes they get it!

Just look at this forum as the example, look how many WIW threads get started! Value is in the eye of the beholder...

Oh and clone or real there is no comparison between the $17k car Tuscaloosa and the over priced car this thread is about! When a seller says "needs some TLC" you can bet that equates to a lot of $$...

#10 ·
That car for 17k looks like a bargain, and I would be all over it if it were a manual transmission car.
Many look like bargains until you get up close and discover how poorly the bodywork was done. Not to mention the mechanicals. Pictures can look enticing but are not truthful. One flag on that 17K Tusc car is the fender inner braces and top of cowl not body color but black. Good sign of a quickie job. Those with little bodywork knowledge are excellent targets. They often buy drivers only to discover they require major panel replacement.

#17 ·
The owner of the Orange 69 built (and spent a lot of dough) the the car the way he liked it. Problem is, very few of us would have spent $65k on the choices (motor, trans, rear, paint, etc) as he did. Therefore he is going to get spanked on the resell unless he can find the one guy who says that's exactly how I would have built it. Bottom line, $40k if you like what he has done. Pretty much the same story on the other car, although just less money as few would really appreciate the choices he has made in putting the car together. They are both over priced in any market. Just think of them from the perspective of you being the seller----------- who is your market at those prices?

#27 ·
#43 ·
Yeah, will do, these cars are too expensive not to do hw with! Seeing how I don't always know what to look for, I will probably post on here before pulling the trigger on anything

spent months online and put many miles on my car driving from state to state looking at camaro's. It didn't take long to realize that the places your posting pics from were for the most part liars and over priced cars with hidden issues.

I say start hitting craigslist in your state and all around you. drive and see the cars, post pics and ask many questions here before buying. I did and saved me a lot of headaches and money.

but I was not looking for a perfect show car, I wanted a project car that I would enjoy customizing to my liking.
Exactly

I'm in Vegas and in the past couple years I bought cars in Michigan, Pennsylvania Louisiana, California and Arizona.

Always look at the car in person.
I hear you guys. Yeah I'm of the same sentiment, I don't want to buy something without seeing (and preferably driving) it first. Luckily here in southern California, there should be enough cars around here that I won't have to travel too far.

Heck no, get the 502 one in the first post for half the price of the other. Unless its all numbers matching then once something is changed who cares. Number matching is for cars you don't drive anyway..
I agree that the 502 is a much better deal. I looked online, and that engine looks expensive! That car is definitely a driver car though, which means I would probably enjoy it more.

#34 ·
spent months online and put many miles on my car driving from state to state looking at camaro's. It didn't take long to realize that the places your posting pics from were for the most part liars and over priced cars with hidden issues.

I say start hitting craigslist in your state and all around you. drive and see the cars, post pics and ask many questions here before buying. I did and saved me a lot of headaches and money.

but I was not looking for a perfect show car, I wanted a project car that I would enjoy customizing to my liking.

#44 ·
Okay. New car that I have my sights set on:

http://www.hollywoodcarcollection.c...6125528cfad3665/1969+chevrolet+camaro+rs.html

I spoke with the owner, and he said that he has the original window sticker that was sold with the car many years ago. He also said that he has the original engine block that came with the car (and it comes with the car, along with original exhaust and other parts that came off the car), but right now an LT1 is in it.

A few minor issues that my untrained eye noticed were the driver's side headlight was kind of crooked, and the trunk didn't seem to fit snugly.

Other than that, what do you think this car is worth? If I can authenticate that it is a real Z/28 and I can get the motor, what would be a good offering price?

#45 ·
Well, #1, its a dealer, be a skeptic. The headlight covers probably has a broken bushing or not bolted in, plus they need to be aligned. The interior looks like it has been drenched in oil and is 90% repro parts. Incorrect Caution fan sticker, Incorrect shifter handle. They actually did a very good job on the engine bay (except for the sticker :)) The pictures kinda wash out the paint, so you will have to look at the exterior paint in person. the rear antenna means the spoilers are not original. The exhaust tips are not correct.

#46 ·
I agree with you to be skeptical with dealers, but I talked to the actual owner of the car. He has the car listed at: http://www.autotraderclassics.com/c...let-Camaro-525865.xhtml?conversationId=956064

It sounded like the owner did not want to go through the hassle of selling it so he just sent it to a place that will sell it for him.

The owner also said that the dz block needs to be machined again, so it is sitting in his garage right now. But, they took the 302 heads and put them onto the 350. I agree that the car looks clean under the engine bay. Unfortunately there aren't any pictures underneath the car.

Are there any ramifications of the spoiler not being original? does that mean that this car is not an original z/28 RS?

Thanks guys for all your constructive feedback.

#48 ·
There's a lot things that are added or incorrect so I'm thinking he "made" himself a Z/28. It would need a very close personal inspection to satisfy me. All those pictures and not one of anything to help identify the car as real. That always makes me wonder. As for the window sticker I would not put too much into that cause they make those every day just like all the rest of fake documents and trim tags. Is the transmission and rear original to the car?

#50 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.