Team Camaro Tech banner

delphi 670 steering gear question

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Joe G 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.
I’ve been restoring a 1968 camaro for a few years now and im getting into some more specific parts of the assembly.
im trying to make the car handle decently.

in the rear i added the DSE staggered 4 link kit with coil overs. Also, Poly body mounts In the front. i added upper and lower DSE control arms and 2 inch lowered hotchkis springs and koni shocks as well as 2 inch ccp drop spindles. Now I would like to update the steering. I'm looking at the DELPHI 670 steering gear. From what I under stand I need a new rag joint.

Will I need different Power Steering hoses? Also will my PS pump be able to pump enough pressure for the new gear? Is it worth it to go with a cheaper power rack and pinion?

I guess I'm just looking for some general information on the subject.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I converted from manual steering to PS when I first got my Camaro. I now have a delphi 670 box in my '67. I was able to use the stock PS hoses and a '69 PS pump (I have a long water pump). You will need a new rag joint. The new pump should come with some inserts (where the hoses attach) that look like little metal mushrooms. If it doesn't, you will need them. My box didn't, so I ordered the inserts from Lee Mfg.

It's a great box, and makes a world of difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.