Team Camaro Tech banner

69 Camaro vin trouble

13K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  bcm66 
#1 ·
So heres the problem any help would be greatly appreciated. I got a 69 camaro as a graduation present but when I tried to get the title transferred we found out the vin plate got misplaced when the car was moved from my cousins house (where we bought it) to where im at not sure if its in his garage but I cant find a complete vin on the car to get a tracer of for the vin any ideas where all to look?

#2 ·
There are partial vins under the cowl and under the blower motor on the firewall. The first part of the vin is on the trim tag, and is consistent for all 69's anyway (for a particular body style and 6/8 cylinder arrangement). You'll want to check with the PA DMV to see what the procedure is to get the vin verified. Here in GA I jut had to have a police officer check the partial vin and fill out a form. The DMV then gave me a new vin plate that had to be mounted to the door jamb and then inspected, then they issued a new title.

#3 ·
:eek: That's going to be UGLY. Tear the dash apart and see if it isn't under the padded dash or on the or in the defroster vent. But fair warning If the original vin plate was that loose it may not have been the real vin in the first place.

If it is a late 1969 build it should also have a door vin tag. Other then finding the originals you will have to submit the vehicle to your local DMV's inspection division and after removing parts looking for hidden factory vins they will determine if the vehicle is stolen with swapped vins and if not will issue a replacement vin.

Best of luck

#4 ·
Ok thanks I will look into it and the car is already completely tore apart it was my cousins husbands and his dads project but they ran out of time to do so I ended up taking over....Im thinking they took the vin plate off (with there being two of them doing it) and the other didnt know about or at least I hope it will be that easy

#6 ·
Here is where you can find the partial VINs, if you need a visual reference. From CRG...
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#PartialVIN

If you were getting the title transferred, the complete VIN should be on the current valid title.

#8 ·
The old title and registration should have the cars vin on it for reference. Then under the cowl grill you should be able to find a stamped partial vin, the partial can only be one of 2 possible combinations... As well most states have provision for a state issued vin to be placed on the car.

#9 ·
The partial VINs stamped behind the heater core cover and the one on top of the cowl area is the best you are going to find, and they won't be complete VINs. It won't tell you whether the first part of the VIN is 123 or 124. The trim tag is of no help, either, as all the trim tags were stamped 124. Like Dennis said, the best you can do is go off the title you have for the car.

#12 ·
That's pretty interesting. I'd never hear of it before. I do have a problem with "08A and later" statement though. My SS is an 08D with original doors and I don't believe it has the sticker or the ridges. I'll have to look at it closely when I get home.

#14 ·
Now are you talking 08D of 1968 (very early in the 1969 model year) or 08D in 1969? If your VIN has a 5 in this spot (the number after the letter plant code) 12xxx9N5xxxxx or 12xxx9L5xxxxx , then that is 08D of 1968.

#17 ·
I saw that too Ed, but from William's quote, "The only 1969 Camaros that should have it are those built at Norwood with a 1969 body build date of 08A and later." Maybe it wasn't a sure thing that 08A and later HAD to have it.

#18 ·
Thanks for the clarification Ed.

So I guess maybe that should be 09A for the sticker rather than 08A ? Or another way to look at it might be partial VINs after about 9N669xxx ?

william:
The drivers door VIN label was a requirement for the 1970 model year. When Chevy extended 1969 Camaro production the LH door shell was modified to include locating ribs; the label was to be placed between them.

Indications are the label was introduced 08A when Norwood reset body numbering to '100001'. That occured late in VIN range N669xxx.

#19 ·
That would make sense. There's always the possibility that I'm mis-remembering also. It happens from time to time... I'll try to remember to check it out tonight.

#21 ·
Somewhere I seem to remember having seen a quote that when the regular production year ended for 1969 model year at all the other GM plants and the Camaro production was extended at Norwood that two or more weeks worth of trimtags were stamped all at once by Fisher all with 08A so Fisher Body workers at Norwood could vacation as normal. If that is true, is it possible that only extended run vehicles physically assembled and expected to be shipped to dealer on the deadline of September 1 or later had the extra vin tag stickers? Bodys not waiting on specialized parts rolled quicker then those being held back for parts or special runs such as Z28's but William and the CRG folks that were there would be the best to question on this.

#24 ·
Kurt do you have any pics of these original stickers? I have been trying to verify that cars prior to September received the sticker. Unless they were held up for a month?

#26 ·
FYI- That is a reproduction sticker on that car in Jerrys book. (page 200)
You can check it vs. an original and see the difference.

After searching and looking at many August cars, the earliest car I have seen with the blue Vin sticker was an 08E car, which would have been delivered in September. I would welcome anyone who has a august of 69 car with he blue vin sticker to come forward though...:smile2:

#27 ·
So, why where you searching a 2.5 year old thread?:nerd:

#28 ·
1) I didn't see Ed had responded back then
2) I wanted to make sure I set the record straight, and make sure 08A-08D guys aren't thinking there car is incorrect because it doesn't have the sticker.
3) I have a 08C (late 69) Camaro, and I am gathering all the info I can on late August built cars.
This thread happen to pop up in my search.:smile2:

Reactions: HawkX66
#30 ·
This is my door off my 08D. This area is all original paint and I don't believe it ever had a sticker besides the ones you see here.

#29 ·
I know this is an old thread but I can take a pic of the original door sticker on my RS if anyone is interested in seeing it. It was very late production I believe built in October.

#31 ·
*I think it would help those interested in knowing what an original sticker looked like.
The info on these stickers is pretty scarce, I was at the fall Auburn Indiana auction a couple of years ago and the owner of a low milage orange Yenko had the blue vin sticker on his door (His car was a March of 69 car). It was funny to see a "survivor" car with this incorrect detail.

With (what appears to be) mis-information out there, there could be many 08A-08D (Late August cars) with the blue VIN sticker now, claiming it to be an original. I would just prefer not to re-write history on this important fact.

:wink2:

#32 ·
I am out of town but will take a pic when I get back. I am certain it is original to the car. It was my moms first car and was bought off DB Carters used car lot in Greenville SC the mid 70's and has been in the family ever since.

#33 ·
Here is a pic of the door sticker. As you can tell it was painted over at some point in the past but I was able to wipe off the paint while leaving the print mostly legible. Moderators feel free to move this to a new thread if desired.

Attachments

#35 ·
He believes his is an Oct. build.

I can say for certain that my 08A car did NOT have the mylar vin sticker in the door.

I always thought John Berry's (I believe it has since changed hands) white 08A Z did have the sticker, (the one in Jerry's book). It is less than 100 cars after mine, built the same week. That is why I always believed the practice started first week of August. Not sure who came up with the first week of Sept. as the start date. Normally GM started the next model year in August. That is why the BDY number was reset, to signal the beginning of the models subject to the 70 model year regs. My BDY number indicates it is one of the first 381 cars after the reset.

I had heard there were some other odd issues with the white car (being a 5,000 mile car when Jerry wrote the book) after talking to a fellow who had examined it closely. I had no idea the sticker might be a repro. Are you certain?
One would think Jerry would have caught that at the time.

I spoke with John right after he sold the car, and he certainly didn't indicate there were any repro parts on it.

#36 ·
It is pretty easy to see in the book it is a reproduction sticker. ( I even asked of pictures of the original, and I was told none were taken of it during the restoration). I have seen many originals and the one in the book doesn't look the same. In John Berrys defense I also ran across a March of 69 orange Yenko at the auburn auction with very low miles that was claimed unrestored and it had the blue vin door sticker. My point being, even the best of cars can have incorrect items added.
Your point about august being the beginning of the extended run is correct, but I believe the federal government mandated the vin sticker on the door beginning September 1st of 69, which led to any cars being delivered in September to also have the sticker, hence 08E cars that have the sticker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.