Team Camaro Tech banner

Astro Vents

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Philayres 
#1 ·
I have a 67 camaro that I have added Vintage A/C to. I have most everything mocked up and figured out, except I want to add the astro vents down at the bottom ends of the dash as the a/c outlets. Does anyone make or have a template to cut the holes in the dash. Does someone have a exact location as to where they are installed? I want to get it right the first time when cutting. I seem to remember seeing something? Any suggestions?

Mike

#3 ·
"67 didn't have " :confused:

Hmmm - both my 1967's with factory A/C did so I don't see why it would matter.

You could try calling Vintage Air to see if they have a template or other ideas available.

Have you done a 'search' on here in this and the Cooling/Heating forums for "A/C Vents" ??? I seem to remember this being discussed before.

(edit)
Ha! found it - http://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000078

[ 07-30-2004, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Vintage 68 ]

#8 ·
Mike, I have a 67 and installed a vintage air kit in it a while back. I did not want to use the generic vents that came with the vintage air setup so I installed the factory style ball vents. They came with templates to show me where to cut the holes.

Here are a few pics:

More pics here: vintage air install pics

Thanks to camaro tech member Cfunk for hosting the pics.

Ray

#16 ·
Mike, I have a 67 and installed a vintage air kit in it a while back. I did not want to use the generic vents that came with the vintage air setup so I installed the factory style ball vents. They came with templates to show me where to cut the holes.

Here are a few pics:

More pics here: vintage air install pics

Thanks to camaro tech member Cfunk for hosting the pics.

Ray
Rayzor,
i can't see your pics..,. maybe cause they are old?? Looking to do the same to my 67. Really am interested in your experience... Can you send me the pics and the template if its different than the one vintage sends in their 67-68 non ac install instructions?
Thanks so much for your time and the post!!

phillip.ayres@yahoo.com

#9 ·
I did the same thing bought the balls, only mine didnt come with the templates. I emailed Mike Shields and he is looking for his old ones. If he cant find his do you have yours, could I get a copy of them. Where did you buy your vent balls from. Maybe I can contact them and get the template. Thanks for everyones help.

Mike

#12 ·
Originally posted by CA420:
Round vents yes, not Astro vents. not sure if the holes would be the same size of in the same position.
OK, my 67 RS Camaro has the round style vent balls and it is factory A/C. My 72 C20 BB also has factory A/C with the round style vent balls.

Now the dumb question
…What is the difference between the Astro vents and the factory round vents? I am under the impression that they are the same thing.

#13 ·
Originally posted by KevinImh:
OK, my 67 RS Camaro has the round style vent balls and it is factory A/C. My 72 C20 BB also has factory A/C with the round style vent balls.

Now the dumb question
…What is the difference between the Astro vents and the factory round vents? I am under the impression that they are the same thing.
I believe that with astro ventalation you actually get fresh outside air plumbed to the round ball vents. Before astro ventalation you had to open a wing window to get fresh outside air into the car.

#14 ·
Astro vents are listed under (RPO Z87) for the 1968 model year.

here is how it reads in the book:

"Astro-Ventilation system with ball-type adjustable air outlets"

This info is on page 4 of Big Book of Camaro Data 1967-1973 by John R. Hooper.

Do not see ball-type vents listed under any of the interior option for the 67 model year.

Like I said before it is your car and I don't think it would look bad at all just like the pics above, they look great. Just depends on if you want it original or not. John Z used to work for GM he may know exactly what the 67's used.

Take care and good luck with your A/C, wish mine had it. :(

#15 ·
My 67 RS/SS has factory air, right down to the original dated AC hoses. I have the round, ball vents as pictured above. The only difference is that in 67, the flat part of the vent is not chrome, it is painted the color of the dash (black). Only the balls are chrome in 67. IMHO, adding the vents to a non-AC car to make the non-factory AC system work better is not a bad thing. If the mod makes the car more enjoyable for you to drive, have at it!

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.