Team Camaro Tech banner

Boots for Original Ball Joints

9K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  bilodeaulynn 
#1 ·
My 68 Camaro has the original ball joints. The car was maintained religiously, so the ball joints are all good. One of the uppers has a cracked boot. For those familiar with original ball joints, I have the following questions:
1) Is it possible to replace just the boots?
I was thinking about buying a set of 'correct' reproduction ball joints made by Classic Suspension, then carefully removing the boots and installing them on my original ball joints.

2) Can a new boot be installed on the upper or lower ball joints without removing the ball joint?
On the uppers, it looks like the boot is held in place with a sleeve. Not sure if I can remove this sleeve without taking the BJ out of the A-arm.
On the lowers, it looks like I could just swap the boots.

So, has anyone done (or attempted) this?

#3 ·
I don't have a problem taking things apart to replace just the boots. I really don't want to replace the entire ball joint just for a bad boot. I don't want replacement style ball joints, and I believe that the correct style repros are made overseas, so they won't be going on my car!!

#8 ·
Rick- That would be great. I'd love to be able to change the boots 'in place'.

Have you actually disassembled the ball joints in place? What did you use for replacement boots? Any tips for doing the job? My car is still at the body shop - do you know if the boot on the lower BJ is held on with a sleeve the same way as the upper?

Just looking to get any guidance I can from someone who has actually done the job.

Thanks!

#9 ·
Here us a post stolen from CRG to show what the upper ball joints look like:

[quote author=Dusk Blue Z link=topic=3132.msg22546#msg22546 date=1204204594]
Attached is a picture of the different upper ball joints. The left one is a 28K original (mine), the center one is a NOS 3963842 (ebay), the right one is a SS-195 from Classic Suspension (Chevy). The spot welds are very visible on the NOS compared to the original, but the appearance is correct. The SS-195 has a round or bubble top. The rubber boots are held on with the metal band that is shown on the original part.

Does anyone know where you could buy just the rubber boots?

Mike

[/quote]

#10 ·
Energy Suspension sells replacement rubber boots (Chevy generic).. but they are not too similar in appearance. Hopefully they hold the grease in and water/dust out as I'm using them to preserve my originals (with 'holy' boots)... The boots are available in black color or red.. :) I bought the black ones, and I'm hoping when the suspension is all assembled, and boots fillled with grease that the difference isn't noticeable.

#11 ·
Energy Suspension sells replacement rubber boots (Chevy generic)...
Thanks for the feedback. I saw those generic boots. I guess I'd rather live with a cracked original boot versus the generic ES boots. I tried a set of ES tie rod boots on my original tie rod ends, but they look awful. I'll swap them out for the correct ones I bought from HBC. That's why I was thinking of sacrificing a set of repro ball joints - at least the boots would be a little more 'correct' looking.

#13 ·
Update:

I just spoke to Brian Bair at Bair's Corvettes (www.bairs.com).

They have replacement boots for the original upper ball joints, part number 5093 for $6 each. Brian advised that they normally remove the ball joint to replace the boot. He said to carefully remove the ring, then replace the boot & put the ring back on. Unfortunately, they don't have the ring, or boots for the lower ball joints.

I also got a set of the threaded upper ball joint rivets from them, part number 5090C. Brian advised that these are forged, grade 8 strength, and made in the USA.

#14 ·
I did replaced mine without removing the ball joints. The upper boot has the ring that you pry carefully off the ball joint. Slide the ring over new boot and slip up on the ball joint. The lower does not have a ring. It just slides over the ball joint. Pretty simple job. I actuall had a spare set of ball joints that i robbed the boots from. Don't remember brand.

#16 ·
Moog boots are good , but say moog in big letters. Moog , TRW, and Fedral Mogral are all made by same company. I do believe the Fedral Mogral has a plain boot that looks correct. Energy Suspention is too glossey and not in any way correct looking. I used Moog , have to look pretty hard for someone to tell. If someone wants to look at them they would have to bring their own jack , and good luck getting that by me. Didn't take mine off the car to replace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.