Team Camaro Tech banner

fuel pump pick up

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  jerryt 
#1 ·
well i got the tank out of my camaro. any tips on how to take out and reinstall fuel pickup. have read post about checking float level. can someone explain this.

jerry

#6 ·
I took off the fuel pick up on my gas tank. The old one was 5/16 line, the new one is 3/8 line. The original pick up sock was gone. I looked inside the tank and sloshed the remaining fuel to see if I could find the sock. I could not find the sock or any contaminates. So I just put the new pickup in the tank.
When I tried blowing thru the line on the tank side it was clogged. No air would go thru. Do you think I should drain the tank all the way and blow it out with compressed air? Or just put the tank back on andput fuel in it and see how it goes? Just looking for other opinions.

Jerry

#13 ·
well here is a update. I tested the pump by placing a bottle with fuel connected to the inlet. and a empty bottle on the outlet. I spun the motor and fuel flowed. The fuel pick up was also clogged. Had to replace it. And then still had no fuel. So I assume it was the line. So i pulled out the line, and the section that ran threw the front frame some how got crushed. So I cut off the bad part ran some new hose and my car started. One test at a time. Two out of three went bad. Only bad thing was the pump was probably good. Now I can drive my car so I am happy.

Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.